Thread: New miata guy

Default New miata guy

Well it looks like I finally bought a miata after wanting one for awhile. I had a 1986 gt-s corolla before this car that was my pride and joy, but had to sell it because the up keep was to much....lets just say having a 19 year old drift car gets expensive! So I bought my miata from a friend since it already had a roll bar, fidanza flywheel and ACT clutch...saves me from having to put them in :) But enough of my babble, I hope to meet some of you soon.

Peace,

Matt

Welcome aboard!!

Check the Events & Gatherings for get togethers... but if you're a betting man, it's a sure thing to get a whole lot of us together for AutoX... just check the AutoCross forum as well!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Welcome Black_devil_miata! Congrats on the Miata purchase!

Congrats on the Miata Any plans on drifting it

Welcome! What year / package / color is your Miata?
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Welcome to the madness!

RJ

Welcom aboard. Did you drift your old car?
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Welcome aboard! We need pics and more info!
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Welcome tot he madness, black devil.

Looks like the Miata is starting to become a popular car among the drift crowd.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I did drift my old AE86, that thing was tons of fun to drive. I had a lot of work put into it, including a kaaz 2 way which made the car so much more fun to drive. So I'm hoping to stick another kaaz into the miata or do the 1.8 liter viscus lsd swap, which seems like it works really well. I helped a friend of mine put one in his miata and it made a huge difference, a lot stronger than the 1.6.

Mine miata is a 93 and black. It even has the black hardtop! I like the miniture rx-7 look :) I'm not sure what package it is though, it has leather seats, but the diff is an open diff...I need to read more on the miata.net forums about the different packages.

A lot of the drifting crowd is still all about the 240....for some reason...they can be sweet I suppose but it takes a lot of work. And why not drive a miata if you can! They handle sooo much better. But thats my 2 cents...if you like 240 rock on!

Matt

Oh yea and Speedracer...I am planning on drifting the miata some in the future but I would really like to make her a track car and go to some autoX's and also take her out to motorsports ranch.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Black_devil_miata
    A lot of the drifting crowd is still all about the 240....for some reason...they can be sweet I suppose but it takes a lot of work. And why not drive a miata if you can! They handle sooo much better. But thats my 2 cents...if you like 240 rock on!
    You'll probably discover that a lot of the guys on this board like anything with rear wheel drive and a stick shift when it comes down to it... Miatas just happen to have a great power to weight to $$$ ratio.

BTW... you probably want to do the 1.8 Torsen swap, as the viscous LSD's are a bit weak and were only on the 1.6...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Yea I plan on doing that and maybe later putting a kaaz into the 1.8 diff. My friend broke his 1.6 pretty quick, so I'm sure mine will prob go pretty quick.

Yea anything stick and RWD is where its at....I'm never owning another front wheel drive car again. I helped my friend put a tranny into a 88 honda prelude so he could sell it and get a miata. It was the biggest pain in the A....not worth it. I took the tranny out of my corolla a bunch of times and by the end I could have it in and out in like an hour. So much more simple when its RWD.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    I'd love to find an old AE86... I loved the old Corolla body stying.
    Check this guys car out. He is located in the DFW area.

http://forums.club4ag.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=96457

The motor is rebuilt, so he says and is the higher compression red top from the AE92. He is asking $2500 for it, but I'm sure you could talk him down a little. Thats totally worth it, I'd jump on that if I were you.

Buyer beware...

The seller also said this in that forum:

Quote Originally Posted by Pho95
    No sorry, but i could get it inspected for you, I can get legitimate inspections for 60 bucks. My friend just uses the info from the corolla but dynoes another clean car to pass the smog test.

Dude car is for racing :) it isn't supposed to pass..haha. But yea that JDM enigne doesn't have an any of the EGR components. I know I guy that will do an inspection for you here in fort wort for $35. Its really not that big of a deal. But yea that is the only one I know of forsale around here for cheap.

Oh there is a guy on drifting.com selling a stock AE86 for like a $1,000 I dunno what kind of shape it is in though.

Welcome aboard I'am just getting hooked on the drifting after going to an event that my brother instructs for, after that I'am totally hooked. The track is still alot of fun as well, it's always fun to chase down someone's high dollar toy with my lowly little Miata. Anyway, welcome aboard and if you need any help this the best group of people I have found. So you're in good hands here. Oh watch the OTHER MOTORSPORT section for drift event info.
    '91 Silverstone Greddy,Centerforce,Link,Tokico,GC,Momo,Signal,

Stiffy Chassis Systems " My Miata is sporting a Stiffy"

Quote Originally Posted by Black_devil_miata
    Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    I'd love to find an old AE86... I loved the old Corolla body stying.
    Check this guys car out. He is located in the DFW area.

http://forums.club4ag.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=96457

The motor is rebuilt, so he says and is the higher compression red top from the AE92. He is asking $2500 for it, but I'm sure you could talk him down a little. Thats totally worth it, I'd jump on that if I were you.
    i knew the owner of that car in HS. his name is Jon. he lives kinda close to me.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride