Thread: Anyone run a Miata without the muffler?? How loud??

Default Anyone run a Miata without the muffler?? How loud??

I have a 2000 NB with OBX header but stock everything else. In effort to lighten up the car has anyone removed the muffler and run without it? How loud do you think it would be? It would need to be below the 100db rule for the pro solo this weekend with SCCA. This would most likely be a temporary setup until I buy something to complete the setup.

I know Greg did it at Lone Star Park on his S2000 and it did not seem to be too loud.

Just curious.

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

it's louder then a spec and sounds like ass. http://www.miataturbo.net/forumdisplay.php?f=79 artech is in Wylie and will build you want ever you want for the same price as buying a prefab set up. i would go with 2 big resonators.

OK thanks, sounds like its going to be too loud to pass sound test.

On my old '99 Sport, I did back-to-back dyno runs with an enthusa axle back and no muffler. Not only was it really loud without the exhaust, it also lost an average of 4 ft-lbs of torque across the entire rev range.

Not worth it, IMHO.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

How much does your muffler weigh? Grab a Supertrapp if you're really weight-conscious, but there are plenty of affordable and light options.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

The midpipe and muffler combo I have are light BUT they would be classified as ear bleeding loud at well over the 95db rating...lol, it's so loud That Harris hill said I can't run again till I get it toned down a bit. (something about scaring pregnant women in their third trimester and infant children) lol

Excessive noise is in bad form these days.
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

sounded to much like a ebay hounda so added a 4x24 resonator after pics where taken more then 1/2 the wieght of stock. built for my car in an afternoon and about the cost of buying a fm, rb ect. planing on cutting out the muff and adding a resonator to drop 5 lb

first one going by louder then the FM track car behind me and sound good. last car is a artech turbo back on mr. brg's car

Muffler that I got wasn't my first choice due to the excessive noise it makes, but back when I bought it it was priced at around 300 less than all the other option out there. The car is horendous to drive on the street but is awesome W.O.T. On the track. Maybe one day I can scrounge up enough money to get a proper street exhaust.