Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NC Pics Leaked

First reaction: I like it! I was slow to warm up to the RX8 when it came out. I sure wish they would make a silver one with a red interior.

And more leg room please!

I love the exterior, but would like to see a lightweight 'R' version. I would buy that one :)
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    I love the exterior, but would like to see a lightweight 'R' version. I would buy that one :)
    C'mon Merv. We all know you'd buy any Miata if it had an interesting story to tell.

S.

I know I'm biased, but even after studying the pics for a looong time, I still think the NB is a more beautiful design:

It's like the choice between dating an aerobics instructor who has worked for years on making her body toned in all the right places (NC) versus a beautiful Italian girl who was just "born with it" (NB).

S.

Any words how the NC will be classed by SCCA? It seems that it may end up in the "wrong" class and not competitive!

Having seem more pics I start to like some of the details. it has a more "finished" look. The increased in wheelbase and tract should make the NC a better car than the NB.

However, I still like the exterior of the NB better. The NC seems to "borrow" from the S2000 (the front side profile, especially the squarish front side marker and the roll bar/wind blocker behind the seats, and the rear end looks to have a hint of the M. Sprinkle with some RX8 = NC!

Gab

A couple of things:
    • - Has anyone noticed the squarish roll/stylebar thingies right behind the seats? Is that a real rollbar, or just some "styling que". Geez are they ugly, and if they are non-functional, that's just adding insult to injury.
      - I'd bet this will get classed in BS. It's power specs seem more in line with the MSM than the NB.
    I like a lot of things about the car -- the specs sound interesting, they don't appear to have deviated too far from "the formula" (LWS). But I'm not wacky about the overall interior design (as someone pointed out, it looks fairly Teutonic and I really dislike the non-standard radio), and feel that the exterior design is a lot less evocative/sinuous than the NB. Quite frankly, I find the styling rather bland, non-descript... I think I like the Saturn Sky(?) better.

But I will reserve judgment until I see one “in the flesh”. After all, BMW Z4 looks a lot better in person – although it’s still butt-ugly in person…
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

The hoops do function as rollover protection. The questions are:

1. Are they tall enough to help? and
    2. Could you install a real rollbar with those things and the new top design in the way?

S.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    A couple of things:
    • - Has anyone noticed the squarish roll/stylebar thingies right behind the seats? Is that a real rollbar, or just some "styling que". Geez are they ugly, and if they are non-functional, that's just adding insult to injury.
      - I'd bet this will get classed in BS. It's power specs seem more in line with the MSM than the NB.
    I dunno. The NC press release is talking about 160PS (about 158-159 US ponies), and with a weight figure likely somewhere in the 2400-2500 pound range, it sounds like it would be mincemeat in B Stock.

I'm betting one of two things is going to happen in the upcoming "Stock class restructuring" - either what is now C Stock is going to get moved down and recombined with what is now E Stock (which will really piss off the people who bought R Packs for E Stock this season), or E Stock will be left alone, and the NC and Skystice twins will get dumped in what is now C Stock.

We won't know for sure until they can be driven, but right now I'd be more worried about the Skystice twins - room to fit massive rubber, and decent torque, even if they are porky. The NC doesn't look like it will have a better power-to-weight ratio than the '99 Sports, and with 17" wheels likely being standard in the US (I bet the 16"x6.5" wheels will only be available with the 1.8L version in Europe), there currently isn't a "good" autox tire that will work on them... much like the MSM.

Of course, you never know until they arrive. The NC might be able to get 3 degrees of camber in Stock form, or shave 50 pounds and make 10+ extra hp with an exhaust change, or something else which would throw the whole shootin' match.

Still, unless either the Skystice or the NC drive a lot better than the numbers on paper suggest, I don't think either is a clear threat to the '99 Sports if they end up in C Stock (and they look to me like cannon fodder in B Stock). They may become comparable with development time, but nothing I've seen says that the '99's time in C Stock is over.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Not every newcomer gets classed where it is the overdog , but I see your point. I think the NC will put up more of a fight in CS than you think, what with increased torque, wider track (which could help or hurt it's AX performance realtive to the NB), and not much increase in weight (at least over 2004 standards). But you have a point about it probably being cannon fodder in BS.

Time will tell, but I'm pretty sure it won't get thrown into SS...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

In a Word* document that was sent to Autoweek it states that the wheel sizes are
    Front 16x6.5
    Rear are 17x7.

Tires Front 205x50x16
    Rear 205x45x17

Who's Idea was that?

Edited...I see altiain's "NC Press Release" is the same as the Word document.

Quote Originally Posted by general default
    In a Word* document that was sent to Autoweek it states that the wheel sizes are
    Front 16x6.5
    Rear are 17x7.

Tires Front 205x50x16
    Rear 205x45x17

Who's Idea was that?

Edited...I see altiain's "NC Press Release" is the same as the Word document.
    That's what I thought when I first read it, but if you look at the rest of the document, I think that the separate lines are just listing separate options (i.e., 16"x6.5" at all four corners is one option, 17"x7" is another, much like the transmission or engine options are listed).

None of the photos seem to show larger rear wheels, and Mazda doesn't have a history of using staggered wheels on their sportscars (even on something like the FD).
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123