Thread: found two motors

Chassis Designer

Default found two motors

found a 96 mazda protege needs oil pan ,water pump and timing belt replaced comp is 2 @160 and 2 @150. Has over 138,000 on it for 525.00

found a 1995 1.8 from an MX5 with 180 180 190 185 with over 160,000 miles on it for 650.00
    This seems kind of high for a couple of engines with that many miles on them
    Any thoughts is this out of range or is it normal for this type engine
    thanks for any and all replies they are greatly appreciated
    Have thought about looking out of state

So what is wrong with your current motor???

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Check with Rogue here on the forums...he may have one or know where to get one.

www.miatasolutions.com is his business

Chassis Designer

POS mine is smoking like a freight train and burning oil. I really think the rings are gone in it more so than a head problem. When I take off it billows smoke and has an oil smell and when changing from 1st to 2nd does same thing or if I slow down and then speed up
    I am sure it has been run low on oil before we purchased it and has just gotten worse
    I hate pulling the head and then finding out it is rings so just thought I would try and find another one and stick in it.
    We have a great son and will do an overhaul or an install but he is so busy and has full plate with his family ,we are trying to find the easiest and least expensive route. Being forced into retirement next week due to health reasons I can't help him much so thought another motor would be the best way
    We are open to any suggestions and I know he would be even though he never complains about helping

Thanks Samm will talk to Rogue and see what he has

Driver

I can get u 1.8ltr longblocks with 100k miles all day for 450..and 700 installed

Chassis Designer

Thanks Bigsrturbo
    a couple of things is there any sort of compression readings on them ,any sort of warranty

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsrturbo View Post
    I can get u 1.8ltr longblocks with 100k miles all day for 450..and 700 installed
    Just for future reference, who is your engine guy?

Driver

There is a guy in dallas that Ive been dealing with for awhile now that so far has shot me strait everytime....on most of the engines u buy from him u can hear them run before he pulls them...and if u don't get to hear them he will swap it out if there ends up being something wrong with them....it's a hole in the wall shop but he gets alot of parts

Driver

And even tho Im going to swap my 1.6 for a good 1.8 before I do my Ls swap...that 700 includes swapping a 1.8 into ur 1.6 car....I don't believe in paying for labor so I do all my own engines and work...but that might be a good deal for someone wanting to swap a 1.8 and don't have the time to do it urself

Bigsrturbo, Are you aware that the 1.6l throttle body does not mate up to the 1.8l intake manifold 100%? Im just curious what your guy does to get around this for so cheap, because $700 is such a tempting deal...

Yes, quite a tempting price indeed!
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Driver

I don't know what he does...he tried to get me to let him swap mine but I don't pay anyone to work
    On my car...so I'm not sure how he goes about it...

Driver

I kinda think he thinks it's all the same cuz it's a hole
    In the wall...but I'm not worried about that as long as I can keep getting motors cheap..

Is it possible to get the contact info for your hole in the wall source?

Hmmm... $700 makes me wanna put a 1.8 in my 1.6
    SOLD: 91 Mazda Miata "Grand Sport" - FM V-Maxx coilovers, FM sways, Hard Dog roll bar, stock 1.6L running strong, 15" Star Specs, 96 Grand Sport paint
    - 85 GMC S15 Jimmy "the Tyclone" - LT1 350ci V8, AWD, Typhoon interior, 18" C5 wheels, 96 Grand Sport paint