Thread: anyone familiar with a failed wp in a na?

Default anyone familiar with a failed wp in a na?

i believe my water pump failed but i'm not exactly sure. is anyone willing to come by and take a look? and possibly supervise me change it this or next weekend?

water pump and timing belt are generally done together, due to the need to pull so much related stuff to get to either one, the cheapness of the parts and how catastrophic a failure of either one is.

You can find pretty detailed DIY's out there (check miata.net too), but its a big job and requires some precision to get it just right. You might consider contacting Steven AKA Rouge at Miata Solutions. Also, don't cheap-out on the parts or you'll be doing it again in the next few years.

As for "supervising" a job like this in 100 degree weather; good luck!
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Typical failure is a wobbly pulley (bearing/bushing shot, sometimes squeals) or failed seal, which will leak from the shaft or the weep hole at the bottom.

Tell us why you think you have a failing water pump.

Also you might get some help if you mentioned where you are located.

Quote Originally Posted by Webspoke View Post
    Typical failure is a wobbly pulley (bearing/bushing shot, sometimes squeals) or failed seal, which will leak from the shaft or the weep hole at the bottom.
    i have a coolant leak near the oil pan. its not toward the nose but more towards the passenger tire if that makes sense. its only leaking when the engine is running.
    Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Tell us why you think you have a failing water pump.

Also you might get some help if you mentioned where you are located.
    i'm located in red oak (north of waxahachie or south of lancaster)

if its the water plug would it still leak even if the engine was off?

Quote Originally Posted by chavy View Post
    if its the water plug would it still leak even if the engine was off?
    Not necessarily. It could need a bit of pressure to start leaking, which only happens when the car is on (or you pressurize the system with the proper tool).

Get a blue pen light (even a cheapy blue LED keychain thing from 7-11 or somewhere...the blue light is the important part), run the car, and look for the coolant to literally glow under the light.

The Autozone free loan a tool pressure tester will tell you exactly where the leak is! Don't forget Mazda has a bunch of little coolant hoses snaking around the motor that can also spring a leak.

Here is my post on how I used the Pressure tester to find my mystery leak -> http://www.dfwmiata.com/showthread.p...=Pressure+Test

I used to have the correct sized tester Methinks I sold the smaller neck sized one instead of the larger 'Merican-sized neck one. Unless it's in a box somewhere. Thing is VERY handy to have, especially since it's only like $30 IIRC. I used mine nearly every weekend to find what turbo line was leaking back in the day.

But I HIGHLY recommend picking up a blue LED pen light as well. That was more helpful than the pressure tester ever was. No toolbox should be without one.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Don't forget Mazda has a bunch of little coolant hoses snaking around the motor that can also spring a leak.
    This shows all the collant hoses for a 90-93 car couple of those hoses are on the passenger side.

Link -> http://www.gomiata.com/oemwabyho90.html

okay i think i found the leak. i put my hand directly under the water plug and had the lady friend turn on the miata and soon enough i felt coolant on my hand. i'm sort of relieved that i don't have to do change my wp but from what i hear changing the water plug is a pita.