Thread: Trailer Brake controller advice

Default Trailer Brake controller advice

Going to add a brake controller to my 92 Chevy this week for pulling the tandem car trailer to Blytheville. Anyone have advice or suggestions regarding the brand/type I'd want? Obviously, I'd like to keep it affordable, since this will be a very infrequent use for this truck.

Also, any reason why I can't do the install myself? I've swapped motors and installed dozens of car stereos, so I'm not technically challenged.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

I loved the prodigy I had. You should be able to install it yourself. Pay attention to the directions. Most controllers have to be setting close to level to work correctly.

The tekonsha prodigy is great, very smooth, proportional braking. A bit pricey, around $100-$130. I have used a drawtite activator, its simpler, cheaper, but not as smooth (can be jerky t slow speeds), but works fine for occasional use. Wiring is not tough, the truck may have factory wiring for the brake. If not, you can run your own, or use one of the kits fromtekonsha, drawtite.

I have the Tekonsha P3 for use with my horse trailer ... it's a really good controller. Was simple to install on my truck (Dodge 2500) but it already had everything wired for one from the factory, just had to get a wiring harness adapter for it and plug in. The newer solid state proportional controllers really work well.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Tekonsha P3 with pre wired harness for Tundra. Think I got it at e-trailer. My 255 horses have not complained either. Easy to adjust for wet conditions.

I have a Accu Power Digitrac Trailer Brake Control Controller

http://abctrailerparts.com/brake_controllers.html $58.00

The place I got mine from (on Ebay) wired it for my Ford and it works GREAT.
    Have a 18' tandem axle with brakes on both axles.

Is your truck prewired for brakes, etc? If so, it's as simple as plugging the controller in under the dash and you're on your way!
    Last edited by Squid; 06-09-2011 at 03:52 AM.
    -Jim
    Ok -- who owns "Team Squid?" I want in!!
    SOLD! - 2004 Titanium Gray MX-5 MazdaSpeed (#744 of 4000). Bone stock!
    Next up: Mustang Guard EB, 6sp manual, 100a package, Performance package, Recaros and the back-up beep-beep!

Nope, Chevy's werent prewired till 99. Got a Tekonsha timing-type controller installed and hard-wired for $120 at Discount Hitch, figured it was worth $30 to let them do the install! Seems all-set; just have to set the controller to the trailer in the morning.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

It was strange the first time I towed with brakes. Trailer was unloaded and I had 'em set too high. Once you get used to 'em, you will wonder why all trailers don't have them.
    -Jim
    Ok -- who owns "Team Squid?" I want in!!
    SOLD! - 2004 Titanium Gray MX-5 MazdaSpeed (#744 of 4000). Bone stock!
    Next up: Mustang Guard EB, 6sp manual, 100a package, Performance package, Recaros and the back-up beep-beep!