Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laid off ..

Driver

Default Laid off ..

Well I got laid off from the railroad...sucks..anyone know of any jobs right now?

Ouch. Best of luck.

What kind of job are you looking for? Experience?

The only things I know of in the very local area are trucking companies looking for drivers/owners/operators, and the one truck tank thing place on Avondale-Haslet Road looking for tank washers and mechanics...

Driver

Hmm ..well used to have cdl but took it off cuz I was not using it and planed on being at the railroad till I retired..I guess I'll have to get it again

Well keep in mind those are the only things I know of even remotely related to what I think someone would do at the railroad company, that are in our (more my) immediate area - just what I see signs for when I leave the house.

If you're more into the HR side of things, I really wish you the best of luck. Our next door neighbor left the HR job he had for years a few months ago and had to take a job in Mississippi last week since he couldn't find anything locally at all.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Sorry to hear this. I wish you well in your job search.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Driver

Thanks Doug...and rob..I'm going to change my career I think and just start from the bottom somewhere (not sure where) and see how it goes..

That sucks. A good friend of mine was laid off from the railroad in 2008. It was around the time that gas prices pulled way back from their $4/gallon high. Apparently rail shipping went up when gas prices were high, but shippers switched back to trucking when the prices came down, which lead to layoffs in the rail industry. It sounds like that may be happening again as gas prices are on their way down fast from another $4 high. It would seem to me that adding some trucking related skills to your resume might be a good idea so you can work in trucking when gas is cheap and railroad when it is expensive.

Engine Builder

http://www.paccar.com/jobs/jobs-us.asp

Check it out, I got on at Peterbilt on the assembly, but they are hiring a lot of different functions, a CDL would help.

A little bird just told me about a rail related shop going into the new checkerboard building at the NE corner of 114/156.
    Theyre supposed to be rebuilding engines, but it won't be in op for a while.
    Something to keep an eye on though.

I know quite a few folks that went to Peterbilt.

Good Luck

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

Welcome to the 20% club.

Driver

Thanks everyone!!! All the info is very helpful...my locomotive engineers license is still good for 2 years so I think I might get a job at the bn alliance yard as a engineer from a few friends I know...I guess we will see..if not peterbuilt here I come..

I'll keep my ears to the ground. My grandfather worked for Southern Pacific in Houston for 47 years. I'll ask around and see if any of my relatives down there still know anyone in the business.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Driver

Thanks mike!! U rock!!

Engine Builder

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsrturbo View Post
    Thanks everyone!!! All the info is very helpful...my locomotive engineers license is still good for 2 years so I think I might get a job at the bn alliance yard as a engineer from a few friends I know...I guess we will see..if not peterbuilt here I come..
    Honestly, just apply at Peterbilt if you are toying with the idea to get a spot in line. There are a lot of people trying to get in, and if you do get to start the prep for an interview it will be a month of testing (written and hands on) before you are set before a panel of people interviewed for the job. My two cents anyhow.

Best of luck in your job search, Dallas.
    -Jim
    Ok -- who owns "Team Squid?" I want in!!
    SOLD! - 2004 Titanium Gray MX-5 MazdaSpeed (#744 of 4000). Bone stock!
    Next up: Mustang Guard EB, 6sp manual, 100a package, Performance package, Recaros and the back-up beep-beep!

Driver

Thanks Jim...

Driver

Thanks surgeon I'll look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_man View Post
    Welcome to the 20% club.
    Yep, am a member myself...
    I use to worry about money; but then realized I don't HAVE anything to worry about.

The catastrophe insurance adjuster field is in need....I have had three insurance companies contact me in the past two weeks to go to IL and MN to work....I told em all I need some time off.

Driver

Hmm..How Do u get into that? They train u?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast