Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why i hate no computer people that run hiring.

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

Default Why i hate non technical people that run hiring.

them: do you have a dba?
    me: no
    them: ok thank you for your time.

It's a god damn A certification for 2010+, I was smarter out of high school then people that just have a dba and got an It job. i have over 8 years of server, desktop and litigation support but that's not on any HR check list. So glad my next round of scheduler interviews are with people that know how to do more then turn on and point and click.
    Last edited by jeff_man; 07-11-2011 at 01:39 AM.

I'm surprised anyone can even read your resume.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Lol!
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Get the cert. You know what they want. Looks like you can take the test and get it or wait for a job where they don't ask.
    M3 is always the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Just because i make you suffer through my ruff draft post doesn't mean i disable spell check at work

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    Get the cert. You know what they want. Looks like you can take the test and get it or wait for a job where they don't ask.
    It's only happening at very small companies where there is no IT and they are trying to go in house so you end up talking to the only HR person they employ that has a requirement list that reads like a best buy sales position. Every other place that has a in place IT department could care less that i have talked to.

I do the hiring at my laboratory. I look for people with degrees and certifications. Not necessarily because it shows that they have training but because it shows they have a good work ethic and are dependable. You probably have all the knowlege and experience necessary to do any of the IT functions they would ever need you to do. Without a certificate or degree you are just some guy off the street that may or may not show up to work on time or at all.
    Andy Cost
    Humble Servant - Equipe Rapide

I hold certifications for a few Litigation IT software suites and so on and is the biggest reason i'm looking for Lit IT/support primarily. The few places i was part of the hiring processes if you had only a dba or A+ you would not get a call back as it showed you went out and got the most basic cert and are trying to pass as a real geek =D.

i agree with nomad.a degree doesn't show what you know. it shows you can stick with something, and that you are able to learn. i won't hire someone without a HS diploma for the stock room. no knowledge is needed to move freight, but the few times we've hired someone without a diploma they haven't worked out due to lack of dependability or just pure laziness. yes, there are surely exceptions, but why waste time finding them?jeff, get the piece of paper- yes, its a waste of time. However, it will make life easier......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

as a non computer person i have no clue what a dba is.... why not get it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

the people hiring you, especially at the small firms, are hiring you because they don't know jack. so if they've been told someone with a dba is needed, thats what they look for
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

dba and a+ is you can install and uninstall, lots of basic stuff. dba at least has a little sql where a+ does not unless they finally updated the cert from 1980s era computing.
    Last edited by jeff_man; 07-11-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Damn, I really need to learn Jeffanese if I'm going to read this thread.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Why don't you start your own company doing freelance/contract DB work?
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    Why don't you start your own company doing freelance/contract DB work?
    World make a lot less and be stuck doing home pc.

From a pratical point of view after years working in IT. A certificaiton don't mean squat. I have seen people who could take a test well but could not install an HBA to save their life. And had less common sense then your average house fly.

I do not have a degree, My CCNA and MCSE have expired. I can learn any technology and become proficent in a short period of time. I have proven this over and over again. I have a steller work ethic and a get it done attitude. By some of your comments you would not even look at my resume twice even though I would be one of the best employees you have ever had with a proven work history.

Most of the people I know who are really good with technology do not have degrees and have picked it up on their own because they enjoy it.

In today's competitive job market I would choose the guy who has all your wonderful qualities and a degree.
    Andy Cost
    Humble Servant - Equipe Rapide

yep .. i have a b.s. in psychology, but i do software development. go figure.
    - luis
    '99 NB1

Driver

Quote Originally Posted by nomadtrash View Post
    In today's competitive job market I would choose the guy who has all your wonderful qualities and a degree.
    I know you're being facetious, but guys with *my* experience, a degree and certs? They aren't cheap and they are exceedingly rare (I know I've been off and on trying to hire one for about 9 months now).

Some positions will be easy to fill (phone fodder, support lackeys). GOOD and experienced network engineers and software developers (C#, Sharepoint, java, objective C, DBA [sql, oracle], SAP) are pretty rare and mostly locked up.

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    From a pratical point of view after years working in IT. A certificaiton don't mean squat. I have seen people who could take a test well but could not install an HBA to save their life. And had less common sense then your average house fly.

I do not have a degree, My CCNA and MCSE have expired. I can learn any technology and become proficent in a short period of time. I have proven this over and over again. I have a steller work ethic and a get it done attitude. By some of your comments you would not even look at my resume twice even though I would be one of the best employees you have ever had with a proven work history.
    Same here. I have more than enough credits for a degree, but nothing yet (long story). My MSCE, CCNA, CDA, and even my A+ have all long been expired. The only reason I got my last IT/network job was because of contacts I made during installs/configs/etc. I only even have the job I have now (in telecom sales...not even selling data stuff) because of contacts made. Had I not had an in like I did, they would have never even considered me, despite my resume AND the experience they know I have.

And the same could be said with ASE certifications - I worked with kids/guys that had every ASE cert you could think of, yet couldn't turn a wrench to save their life. But of course they were more "valuable" to employers on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    Oh man, you speak M U C H truth!! As being the person who has to train these people hired with the paper, who think that they know more than everyone because of the paper, yet know nothing in spite of the paper ... sheesh. Send 'em back where they came from and I'll take the one out of high school who knows what "computer" is.
    -Jim
    Ok -- who owns "Team Squid?" I want in!!
    SOLD! - 2004 Titanium Gray MX-5 MazdaSpeed (#744 of 4000). Bone stock!
    Next up: Mustang Guard EB, 6sp manual, 100a package, Performance package, Recaros and the back-up beep-beep!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast