Thread: Code P1797??

Default Code P1797??

My check engine light came on yesterday and when I checked my scanner, it gave me a P1797 code. Further research led me to believe it has something to do with the clutch switch.

I got under there and there is a cylinder looking component that has 2 nuts that hold it to the bracket. It looks like something might have been going from it into a hole that's on the clutch mechanism. I have noticed some play in the pedal..not clutch related but if I move the pedal with my hand I have about 1/2" - 1" of just free play till I get some resistance. Does the clutch switch suppose to attach to the clutch pedal?

Thanks again for the input.
    Nothing like the whine of a SC at full throttle!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Neutral safety switch? See if you can crank the car with it in gear and no clutch pedal in (make sure there's nothing in front of you! )

There are two switches on the clutch... one at bottom of stroke that lets you start the engine (not your problem) and one at top of stroke. If you have factory cruise and it works, then it's not the switch at top of stroke, which means it the neutral sensor in the tranny. Pinch any wires lately?
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Neutral safety switch? See if you can crank the car with it in gear and no clutch pedal in (make sure there's nothing in front of you! )
    I disconnected mine YEARS ago, no codes, so that shouldn't be it.
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Haven't pinched any wires that I'm aware of. I cleared the code last night and nothing so far today. Is the switch at the top of the stroke suppose to be attached to anything of is it just a push button when the clutch comes back? I haven't tested the cruise control so I can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by titanescape View Post
    Haven't pinched any wires that I'm aware of. I cleared the code last night and nothing so far today. Is the switch at the top of the stroke suppose to be attached to anything of is it just a push button when the clutch comes back? I haven't tested the cruise control so I can do that.
    it's just a button that depresses when the clutch is up.

There's no button there....just the bracket. If I take my foot off the clutch to fast, the pedal like springs back and hits the bracket. I put a little felt pad on it last night so that it doesn't hit so hard.

There's no button there....just the bracket. If I take my foot off the clutch to fast, the pedal like springs back and hits the bracket. I put a little felt pad on it last night so that it doesn't hit so hard.
    Actually, I'm not 100% sure the miata has a sensor at top of stroke... someone got one handy they can go check?

My check engine light came on yesterday and when I checked my scanner, it gave me a P1797 code. Further research led me to believe it has something to do with the clutch switch.
    So which one happened first the CEL or the addition of the felt pad??

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    So which one happened first the CEL or the addition of the felt pad??
    The CEL... the only reason i put the felt pad on there was because when the clutch comes back up it hits the bracket where i was guessing that the switch was. I'll try to take a pic when I get home. If someone could take a pic of their's i can compare them.

Here's what I just took:

Picture is a bit disorienting, I know. Full res for whatever reason: http://www.guapozx.com/users/dogpile/helppeople/clutchpedalstuff.JPG

So here:

Red = fuse box
    Yellow = rubber pads on the bracket that sounds like you are missing (where you probably put your felt)
    Green = neutral safety switch. Probably what is throwing your code. You can unplug/cut the harness and jump the two wires on the chassis side to bypass this. (ask/search for more detailed info. I cut mine and jumped them back in 2003 with no ill effects to date. Honestly thought I removed the entire switch back then, but seems I did not)
    Blue = cruise control clutch switch. Shouldn't throw a code even if it goes bad.

Don't mind the haphazard zip-ties - they are there to hold wires in place for the short time I was driving the car now. Everything is getting redone soon.
    Last edited by Rob®; 12-14-2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: pictures

Cool! Thanks for the pics, I'll get under there when I get home and take a look. Now I have something to compare to. At first glance.. I know the pad is missing and I think the white plunger on the switch is gone from mine. I'll post back later.

Well, the white plunger is the neutral safety switch...So if it's gone, you need to bypass or replace.

Oh, and to answer the above questions: None of the switches "attach" to the clutch pedal. They all attach to the bracket and are simple plunger switches. They have the rubber pads that hits the plungers, but they are in no way attached to the pedal itself.
    Last edited by Rob®; 12-14-2011 at 01:28 PM.

I'll bypass it..i don't need it!

I don't remember where the write-ups on that have you going to jump the wires, but I cut the connector off right where it connects to the chassis side of the harness. I used the connector as a plug and play jumper, then just tied off the wires coming from the pedal switch and tucked them away. MUCH easier to get to than doing it all right by the switch itself (just follow the wires maybe a foot away from the firewall - if you have the cruise control switch, the neutral safety switch comes from the same section of harness).

But again, I would look at a legit write-up that says the wire gauge you need (it's thick). Just jump it using the connector to make life easier.

Ok, here's the deal. The neutral safety switch is fine, plunger and every thing is there. The other end where the cruise control switch is where I had to put the felt pad because the rubber grommet is missing. Everything else looks fine up there. Maybe there's a short or something somewhere. I cleared the code yesterday and still no check engine light.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Maybe you need a new blue thingy. (The new ones are black....I had to replace one on the '95M not long ago).

PN # B00143029. The Mazda name is 'rubber stopper'.

I don't have that forsure. I read something about it but had no idea what they were talking about. Where does that part go?

The rubber thingies are gone from both of my 99's. I bought new ones and they fell off before I had a chance to pay my credit card! Except having clinging metal to metal noise everytime I release the clutch, I do not have any CEL or ill effect what so ever.
    Gabriel