Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shocks/springs

Chassis Designer

Default shocks/springs

i'm looking into a new suspension set up. keep in mind i'm poor and very much on a budget....i've found two tokico sets, the illumina (shocks/springs for 410.00) and hp (335, shocks and springs). keeping in mind i'm not a real serious racer, do i really need the 5 way adjustables or will the hp's work for me. any other suggestions on suspension would be appreciated as well, thanks
    See profile for more details: 14.56 @ 94.89 on 50 shot. 2.18- 60', 9.40 @ 75.52- 1/8.

Chassis Designer

i also found the illumina shocks with no springs on nopi for about 221.00 and the hp's for about 131.00 with no springs, or kyb agx's for 182 with no springs. i really didn't find any springs on nopi that i liked or trusted (i've never heard much of "suspension tech"). i'm looking for at least a 1.25 inch drop, and certainly don't like the idea of the tein s. springs on ebay that drop 1.2 in the rear and .9 up front (never liked a car to look like it was dragging it's butt).
    See profile for more details: 14.56 @ 94.89 on 50 shot. 2.18- 60', 9.40 @ 75.52- 1/8.

Quote Originally Posted by bio243
    I'm looking into a new suspension set up...<snip>... tokico...<snip>... hp (335, shocks and springs).
    $335.00 for a set of four shocks and new springs? Knowing absolutely nothing about that set-up, that low of a price would make me think they must be made of cardboard...

Without knowing what you want your new suspension setup to do, it'll be hard for anyone here to advise you (not that we won't try anyway ). You mention
    • 1) that you are not a serious racer, and
      2) you want to drop the car
    but we don't know anything about the ride characteristics you are looking for, and all modifications come with tradeoffs. Do you want to reduce body roll in corners? Do you want to smooth out the bumps in the road? Do you want to make your car a track hugging monster? Or are you just looking to tinker. Honestly, the Miata's suspension is... not horrible... out of the box. My advise would be to hold on to your $335.00, and save up for a proper suspension modification scheme -- something like Tailchaser has done with his car:
    • – FM Springs
      - KYB Shocks
    It wasn’t the cheapest set-up in the world (although it wasn’t terribly expensive either), but I can attest to the results!
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

If you really want to lower your car, FM Springs on KYB AGX's are a great choice, as Kestrel alluded. You can get the look for $100-200 less, but ride quality will suffer.

The cheapest solution I'd recommend would be Tein-S springs (the green ones) on KYB AGX shocks. However, you'll need to carefully cut your bump-stops with this combo since the springs aren't stiff enough to account for the change in ride height.

Today would be a great day to take mine for a spin, Kestrel, as I think I just ruptured a kidney. Stiff sidewalls+stiff springs+rough expansion joints=ouch.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Chassis Designer

alright, thanks, let me clairify...yes, i want to lower the car...i don't mind the ride quality suffering, i expected as much (i'm used to my passengers complaining about it being bumpy), what i meant by i'm not a serious racer is that i'm not trying to spend 2k on a super track set up...i want something that will definatly help the way the car corners and make it look better. how much do those fm springs run and how much do they drop the ride height? my factory suspension is starting to show it's age (130k miles) and i'm using that as an excuse to spend some of my tax return on the car (but i'm not looking to blow it all). just looking for a good looking middle of the road between price and performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    $335.00 for a set of four shocks and new springs? Knowing absolutely nothing about that set-up, that low of a price would make me think they must be made of cardboard...
    Actually, there's been a guy on eBay selling the Tokico packages (both the Illumina and HP) for those prices for a number of years. I actually have the HP set in my '93 and have been quite happy. I'd say that the springs are a little softer (not much, but a little) than the Eibachs that most people buy, and HPs are, well, HPs.

I figure the guy who's selling them is just a Tokico dealer who's breaking his dealer's agreement. FWIW, I received them quickly and as advertised, new in the box w/factory seal and packaging.

If he's looking to lower the car just a little and bring it back to the new feel, that $330 HP kit works great. And if he'd like to see/feel one, he can check mine out.

Chuck

Geez... I think I paid more than $330.00 just for my [KYB] shocks! Those Tonka spring/shock combos sure are CB!
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

i have tein s tech springs and rarely hit the bumpstops and i didnt trim them at all. full gas + passenger is the only time i notice it bumping.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

At 130k you need new shocks, the springs could be cut to lower the car and increase the spring rate. Since you are not racing, that setup will give you the look without the quid. The Miata has a very good base suspension, so would not monkey with it too much unless you are willing to shell out for a full matched setup and you have the driving skills/opportunity to take advantage of the setup.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

One thought I forgot to mention in my previous post is that there is one expense above and beyond the $330 for the kit. Be sure and pick up a set of new rubber protective boots for the new shocks if the old ones are torn or beat up too badly. They protect the shocks and make them last longer.

Chuck

At that age, factor in money replace the old, worn out bumpstops as well. Unlike other cars, the Miata uses the bumpstops as a poor man's rising rate helper spring, and the car is actually "on" the bumpstops to some degree a large percentage of the time. I replaced mine recently at about 93,000 miles, and the old ones were pretty toasted.

A set of new factory bumpstops is ~$75 from Mazdacomp, probably slightly more from Trussville or Mazda South. I'd urge you not to skimp on this, because old bumpstops will make your car feel harsh, and you have to completely disassemble the shocks & springs to replace them. Might as well do it right the first time.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Aren't the bump stops integrated into the boots?

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by ccage
    Aren't the bump stops integrated into the boots?

Chuck
    Yes on an NA no on a NB!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Yes on an NA no on a NB!
    (Showing that the newest Miata I've owned is a '96... Doh!)

Chuck

$75??? Wow... that's some expensive urethane... I should buy a down pillow for mine so that they sleep well at night.
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    $75??? Wow... that's some expensive urethane... I should buy a down pillow for mine so that they sleep well at night.
    He's right, and the're $100 from Trussville.

Yeah -- I had the same thought. They're awful proud of 'em. But the aftermarket ones I saw looked pretty crappy.

Chuck

Yep, they aren't cheap. But when you put your new shocks and springs together with 130k mile old bumpstops and the ride is still harsh, don't come cryin' to me - I'm not going to help you remove all four new shocks & springs, disassemble them, put the new bumpstops in, reassemble them, and reinstall them. :P

Think of this analogy - if you rebuild your old, tired motor with all new parts, are you going to reuse the old, tired head gasket? Sure, it would be cheaper, but aren't you going to kick yourself when your fancy new motor springs a head gasket leak because you were too cheap to do it the right way?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Yep, they aren't cheap. But when you put your new shocks and springs together with 130k mile old bumpstops and the ride is still harsh, don't come cryin' to me - I'm not going to help you remove all four new shocks & springs, disassemble them, put the new bumpstops in, reassemble them, and reinstall them. :P

Think of this analogy - if you rebuild your old, tired motor with all new parts, are you going to reuse the old, tired head gasket? Sure, it would be cheaper, but aren't you going to kick yourself when your fancy new motor springs a head gasket leak because you were too cheap to do it the right way?
    Didn't say they weren't worthwhile... Just apalled that they're $19+ each. Makes me even more curious as to how one manufactures a 200-1000 lb/in progressive spring 1.5 inches long...

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    But when you put your new shocks and springs together with 130k mile old bumpstops and the ride is still harsh, don't come cryin' to me - I'm not going to help you remove all four new shocks & springs, disassemble them, put the new bumpstops in, reassemble them, and reinstall them. :P
    ^^^^ What he said. :)

Chuck

Chassis Designer

thanks for the advise, i'll pick up a set of bumpstops and a set of boots while i'm at it. i'm still debating which set up to get, but i'm not crazy about the idea of cutting my springs...if i were to go that route there's a set of stock springs off a 99 on ebay right now for 10 bucks last i checked. i'm still leaning the CB way lookin at those hp's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast