Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Equipe Rapide Challenge Cup #3 West Mesquite Memorial Stadium!

So how was the site? Grip level?

TBH, I'm not sure that the course was a good measuring stick for grip levels (I was in a heavy GenCoupe, others may have had different results). The asphalt itself seemed to be akin to LSP but it graveled up way worse.

Best part is that we are right back there this Sunday :)

Graveled up WORSE than Lone Star Park? :-/
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

It was pretty much the same as LSP. Remember that LSP got a very thorough cleaning by full-size street sweepers a year or two after we started using it, which kind of reset it and made it better for all events after that. So, think LSP from early events there. By and large, it was fine, but there were a few areas that could use work between heats. It just depends on the course, really. This one has some 180s where people could take a large number of lines, thus spreading the gravel over other lines.

I plan to return next Sunday.

I think the first event tore-up a lot of already-loose gravel. I expect the gravelling to diminish somewhat on subsequent events, except in places where the course didn't run this week. After a few events it should have stabilized somewhat.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

I'm not sure that the course was a good measuring stick for grip levels
    Be gentle, I'm sensitive.
    Andy Cost
    Humble Servant - Equipe Rapide

Awwww Andy, I didn't mean it to be a slam on your course. All I meant was that there weren't a lot of high speed elements to test the threshold of grip levels.

But next week...bring your A game

I have to say this was one of the worse events I have attended in a long time. And also, one of the least enjoyable. Andy, I love what you do. Appreciate all the hard work and effort you've put into the club. But this was not a well run event. All sorts of timing issues. Grid issues, paddock, imbalanced heats, etc. And then there was the site, oh the site.

The course was just a horrible line up with the surface. While I can appreciate tight technical courses. They have to be laid out with the surface in mind. This surface did not lend itself to tight-technical courses. Just like the bus lot does not. Throw in 8 million pounds of gravel and it just spells disaster. Which is what this course was. The worst part was the jump right after the showcase turn. Which I saw Sue/Stan, Madarash and my car catch air over every time. There seemed to be a big bump after the pin turn too.

I was initially really excited about this lot. After seeing it and running it. Not so much.

If we are going to be back there next weekend. I will probably not. This will be the 1st ER event I intentionally miss in 8 years of auto crossing.

So my take on the Mesquite lots are this.

Lot #1 -- Great surface! Smooth and consistent. Too small for a safe "normal" autocross.
    Lot #2 -- Slightly less impressive surface. HUGE bumps! Lot shape limits course design. Too bumpy IMHO.
    Lot #3 -- Great surface when clean, gravel bad. Bumps bad. Small lot.

I'd rather run at PMS or TMS any day over any of the above lots.

I talked to lots of ppl yesterday who shared the same sentiment.
    C5 Base Daily Driven Beater
    Borrowed 1M
    (2017 B-Street Pro Solo Champion)

Jeremy Foley

I realize that someone who only complains and doesn't offer any suggestions is just a whiner.

There were some things I did like. There were nice bathrooms. The surface was grippy when clean. The ending slalom was nice even though I borked it every time.

This site might be ok with several years of racing on it. Or some serious street sweeper action. But, still have the bumps, barrier restrictions, etc to deal with.
    Borrowed 1M

Jeremy Foley

All sorts of timing issues. Grid issues, paddock, imbalanced heats, etc.
    It's all Russ' fault. Those crooked numbers screwed everything up.
    Andy Cost

Quote Originally Posted by ratt_finkel View Post
    There were nice bathrooms.
    Better for Mikey to cry in. Despite the scathing site review, I'm in for the tears, if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by nomadtrash View Post
    Haha!
    Borrowed 1M

Jeremy Foley

Quote Originally Posted by nomadtrash View Post
    mea culpa

I have to say this was one of the worse events I have attended in a long time. And also, one of the least enjoyable. Andy, I love what you do. Appreciate all the hard work and effort you've put into the club. But this was not a well run event. All sorts of timing issues. Grid issues, paddock, imbalanced heats, etc. And then there was the site, oh the site.

The course was just a horrible line up with the surface. While I can appreciate tight technical courses. They have to be laid out with the surface in mind. This surface did not lend itself to tight-technical courses. Just like the bus lot does not. Throw in 8 million pounds of gravel and it just spells disaster. Which is what this course was. The worst part was the jump right after the showcase turn. Which I saw Sue/Stan, Madarash and my car catch air over every time. There seemed to be a big bump after the pin turn too.

I was initially really excited about this lot. After seeing it and running it. Not so much.

If we are going to be back there next weekend. I will probably not. This will be the 1st ER event I intentionally miss in 8 years of auto crossing.

So my take on the Mesquite lots are this.

Lot #1 -- Great surface! Smooth and consistent. Too small for a safe "normal" autocross.
    Lot #2 -- Slightly less impressive surface. HUGE bumps! Lot shape limits course design. Too bumpy IMHO.
    Lot #3 -- Great surface when clean, gravel bad. Bumps bad. Small lot.

I'd rather run at PMS or TMS any day over any of the above lots.

I talked to lots of ppl yesterday who shared the same sentiment.
    The guy with a rally car didn't like the gravel course?!?! Wonder how the poor RWD kids did.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

He came in 3rd in pax behind two RWD cars. Go Figure.
    Andy Cost

... The worst part was the jump right after the showcase turn. Which I saw Sue/Stan, Madarash and my car catch air over every time. There seemed to be a big bump after the pin turn too.
    What, we caught air? really? cool... (not really, but still kind of...)

We must have the setup right to be in that company? Now if only we could turn the times...
    Su B.
    SSP - #117
    08 997.1 Turbo

Results: http://www.autocross.com/er/equipera...dex.php?id=106

Hmmm, Mark52 was only a half second behind Miatamoto.

Not my favorite course but I had a great time driving Mark's car. I had a hard time staying clean. I need to recalibrate for the lightweight and big R comps. I'm turn too early. Late cone call on a 32.7 and 2 nicked cones on my 32.5 PAX run.

Mark's car felt great despite the gravel.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

205 runs in the first heat and 215 in the second. The runs started at 10 and finished at 2. It all seemed to me like normal. There were a few reruns that appear to have happened from a failure to trigger the finish. We are going to make the grid much larger.
    Andy Cost

Unfortunately, it looks like PMS is off the table for everyone except SCCA.

Hope y'all will give the site one more chance this weekend. New course map will be up in the AM.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast