Thread: Uneducated Miata Lover

Default Uneducated Miata Lover

Hey Forum! So I am in the market to buy an older model Miata. Found one that has 77K miles and appears cosmetically to be in good condition for a 2000. Mechanically, I am somewhat clueless and was wondering if anyone would care to shed some light on what I might need to be aware of or looking for. I am hoping to get a mechanic to look at it for me but not sure when or how that will happen as the car is in Mansfield and I am in N Dallas. Anyway, can you guys tell me what to look for or watch out for? The owner wants $7600 for it but I don't want to pay that then have to turn around an dump another 1-2K in it. I'd like to at least be able to use any possible mechanical issues in my bargining. Any help you can offer would be very appreciated...

I would look over some of this.

If it was me I'd take the car it to one of our local Miata shops and pay for an inspection.

Trackdog - http://www.trackdogracing.com/

Miata Solutions - www.miatasolutions.com

Well, $7600 seems quite high for a 2000 model. But yes, either Track Dog or Miata Solutions are excellent places to take your prospective Miata for a look-see.

Welcome aboard!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

For that price is better have a recent, documented timing belt/water pump service, a near-perfect top and straight, no-accident body. If not, you can do better elsewhere or drop the price.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Driver

I sold mine with 50k more miles, all maintenance accounted for (including wp/timing belt), a roll bar, new top, new tires, iffy seats and ugly wheels for a couple k less than that. That's a terrible deal IMO. You're into NC money for that.

Easily 2k overpriced.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

So I hear all of you on the overpriced part, but if you KBB it for a Special Edition (which I failed to mention), Good comes in around 7400. Still think its overpriced? Just wondering why you guys with all of your Miata knowledge and experience think it is high and KBB is kind of spot on. I am not being a smart ass, I am just wondering what it is that this female (buying from another female) might not know that you guys do. I am all ears! And did I say thank you so much for being willing to help me out.

KBB means squat with these cars. The seller probably priced it with KBB and is hoping for the best. The point is that they can be had for way cheaper than KBB price.

You say "Special Edition" so I assume it's the blue 10th Anniversary Edition (10AE)? That might bump the price some, but not to that level. That car is mechanically identical to any other well-optioned Miata. It's just a paint and trim and swag option - albeit an attractive one. Is the car in great shape? Does it have a good set of matching tires? Is the top perfect? Has it ever been wrecked? Is it a one-owner car? Does it have all the little "collectible" baubles (I think they came with key chain and some other toys)? Does the seller have receipts for every scrap of maintenance that has been done to the car since new? Does it have a fresh timing belt and water pump? Good shocks? Does it come with a matching hard top? Basically, the car needs to look as new and have everything documented. Even then, I'd say $6K, tops. Otherwise, as others have mentioned, you should be able to get a very nice Miata of that vintage for around $5K.

But if you feel like paying $7600 for a 12 year old Miata, then that's the deal for you...
    Last edited by trickyrix; 05-01-2012 at 01:32 PM.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

KBB is spot on with what? What the seller is asking? Perhaps that's where she got her price from. Like it's been said already, KBB doesn't mean much with these cars (or any enthusiast vehicles, really. Jeeps, early-mid 90s Japanese sports cars, etc).

It is a 2000 SE burgundy mica and tan and it probably needs a TB and 12 year old roof needs to be replaced by now and its a non-standard color. - at least $2K worth of fixes if you had to pay for it to be done. They list 9,500 KBB but that is for a perfect car - they are never perfect. Only the seller thinks they are.

2000 Miata LS - TEIN FLEX, RB header & Exhaust, Monster CAI, HDHC single diagonal with door bars.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

trickyrix I think that the 10AE was a 1999 model and the 2000 SE was the Mahogany.

kingshew you might take a look at Edmunds appraisal.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

KBB is typically optimistic. You might have hit on a gem, but the general feeling here is that a typical 2000 Miata is worth $5-6K, depending on various factors. If it has a hardtop, add $1K. If the softop is looking its age, has tears/leaks or a damaged rear window, subtract $500. If the seats are leather and in great condition, add a couple hundred. If the water pump/timing belt has not been done at that mileage, subtract $1K. If the wheels are not original, take off a few hundred. If the tires are more than a year or two old or are mismatched, plan to spend $500 on new tires. Original shocks are typically starting to wear out at that mileage. They will last quite a bit longer, but might not ride so great. Oil leaks and coolant leaks can be troublesome on these. totally fixable, but several hundred $$ to get right. If it is an automatic transmission, knock-off at LEAST $1K, if not more. Very few people buy them, so they are worth less. Yes, a few people prefer the AT, but not many, so plan to have a harder time selling it down the road.

Your best bet is definitely to have it checked-out before you pay top-dollar. Again, it might be a gem and worth $7000, but most are not that ideal. Remember; that is a fairly common car, so don't fall in love with just that one, and you are buying at the peak selling season, when convertibles get a price bump. Best deals are found in November, followed by late July/early August when they are never totally cool in summer traffic.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by cone-cerned View Post
    trickyrix I think that the 10AE was a 1999 model and the 2000 SE was the Mahogany.[/URL]
    I stand corrected... it's still just a paint/badge/swag package, and not a "milestone" anniversary year.

Lots of good input here, and we're all willing to give our (opinionated) opinions. Good luck, and don't get caught up with the first one you look at... they made (almost) a million of these things.
    Last edited by trickyrix; 05-01-2012 at 03:03 PM.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

77k miles is decent miles, but still a 2000, used car. Like many said, price depends on condition and maintenance. I do have to agree that 00' special edition could bring some extra bucks, but not more than $500.

If this car is perfect and has great maintenance I could say closer to $6500, but I'm betting $6k would be good. Good luck.

We used have a female here with that car, I would say with all the attention she gave it, it would bring about the same money. And Karen's car was/is babied but ran hard.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    77k miles is decent miles, but still a 2000, used car. Like many said, price depends on condition and maintenance. I do have to agree that 00' special edition could bring some extra bucks, but not more than $500.

If this car is perfect and has great maintenance I could say closer to $6500, but I'm betting $6k would be good. Good luck.

We used have a female here with that car, I would say with all the attention she gave it, it would bring about the same money. And Karen's car was/is babied but ran hard.

Wow ive seen NB's with hardtops for 6,000 with sub 100+ miles
    99 Miata NB (Daily), 91 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo (Toy)

It's all about condition!!!
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

At this price I'll let go of my 99 with slightly higher miles but with lots of up grades and a perfect body and mechanical condition. It is a 'special' triple black, if you care about 'special'. If interested, PM/email me.
    Gabriel