Thread: Cruising Forest Lane...

Default Cruising Forest Lane...

Apparently I missed another big Forest Lane meet this year. My folks moved to that area in '81... and the Arby's is still there. Yikes... That scene was before my time, but I do remember my high school buddies cruising Forest in the eeeaaaarly 90s right before I got my license and my Poonstang.

The big meet this year was in the little shopping center about a half mile from my folks' house (I used to ride my bike up there and spend hours at Sound Warehouse). Looks like I missed a pretty cool meet while I was way out in East Texas doin' country thangs...

Here are some cool writeups, some history, and some interesting video from the late 70s (I highly recommend playing the "Dazed and Confused" soundtrack while you watch that sketchy 19 minute Super 8 transfer). Enjoy...

Craig (vfr750), did you go this year?

DMN article on last weekend's meet

Some history...

Some way-back history...

D&C video footage... cue the Foghat, Skynyrd, and ZZ Top...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

You have some mad research and multitasking skills!

You can thank former Dallas Observer guru and self-appointed city historian Robert Wilonsky for the history lesson and the links...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

Just finished watching the video. Grinned the whole way through; very nostalgic. I think the mural around the 12 minute mark is still up near Hillcrest but I haven't been by there in a few years. Good that the audio worked later for the burnouts too. Thanks for posting.

That mural is still up in mutated form on the brick wall just west of Midway. I remember it in that early form when I was a pissant little kid.

On the cruise video, it looked like they ran east on Forest just past the Tollway and turned around and headed back west. Back when we first moved to that area, Midway was a pig trail from Northaven up to LBJ (I think). The lot where they had the meet last weekend had a movie theater, Triple Town Office Supply, a toy store, an M.E. Moses 5 & Dime, the aforementioned Sound Warehouse (where I procured my Pink Floyd Division Bell tickets), and the first-ever 2-story McDonalds (which subsequently burned down, IIRC). Of course, the Wendy's is still there...
    Last edited by trickyrix; 06-11-2012 at 12:34 AM.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

I had a summer job in 1977 building above ground swimming pools in Dallas. The forest lane area was really nice back then. The one thing I remember is the police check points for people cruising. I remember driving down marsh lane and hearing the announcement on the radio that Elvis died.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Rick, I missed this. I was in CO for my sons wedding..... However my buddy with his 73 Gremlin (with 27K miles) made it and said it was still going strong at 11:30 when he left to head home in Mckinney. Sounds like the turn out was huge.