Thread: NB carpet replacement

Question NB carpet replacement

So I have finally gotten around to swapping out the carpet on the 99. I really don't have any desire to pull the dash out and I've read where a lot of people have just split the carpet under the dash to get it out so thought I'd go with that approach. My old NA provided easy access by removing the radio and cubby but the NB isn't so simple with the airbag switch and HVAC controls located at the bottom of the panel.

First I need to remove the center radio surround trim panel but it looks really thin/weak at the bottom corners. The clips weren't popping loose and I was afraid to pull too hard. Is there a trick for popping this off without breaking it? can't really get a screwdriver under it to help pry.

Also, I'm all ears for any suggestions cutting out the carpet... what best to cut it with, how to make sure I don't "accidentally" cut any wiring running under the carpet, etc...

I did do a decent bit of searching but the best I could find was people saying to cut it out, but no real info on the best way to go about doing it.

TIA,
    Keith
    90 Red NA
    91 Red NA
    99 Triple Black NB "Dimples"

I would start by cutting it out in sections and work my way to the dash. This will let you see what wires are under the carpet near the dash.
    M3 is always the answer.

Finally got some time to finish the swapping out the carpet. Started out like Ken said and cut back everything away from the dash....

DSC_0694.jpgDSC_0693.jpg

After I got to this point I was able to make a few cuts up to where the dash bolts to the tunnel on the drivers side and then pull it out from the passenger side. Bought a linoleum blade for my razor knife. It's a long hooked razor knife blade. worked great for getting up under the dash and hooking on the carpet to cut it.

Instead of the jute padding I put down a layer of 1/4" closed cell foam. found it locally here in fort worth at Larry Dennis Company. They have a huge inventory of automotive upholstery supplies and tools. I'd highly recommend them. The foam came in a 60" width and cut to length for $7.95 yd.

DSC_0697.jpgDSC_0696.jpg

I split the replacement carpet only as much as I had to in order to slide it under the front edge of the dash and then tuck it in on the sides. came out looking as good as new.
    90 Red NA
    91 Red NA

Where are the after pics? Is it a lot quieter with the jute padding? btw where did you get the carpet from? I may have to do this early next year.

Just curious, was the carpet stained and mildewed so bad that it could not be cleaned? My carpet is at least 5 years older and still in excellent conditon.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Here's an after pic although the carpet actually looks a lot better in person than in the picture.

Originally I wanted to get new aftermarket replacement carpets but couldn't find anything for the NB (you can get new from mazda but didn't want to spend that kind of money). Plenty of aftermarket NA and NC replacement carpets out there though. Wound up buying a used set. If you buy used you will probably want to power wash them while they're out. They didn't look bad but it was amazing the amount of crap that came out of them.

Not sure it's that much quieter than the jute padding but I'm probably not the best judge of that (I'm totally deaf in one ear and partially deaf in the other ). I think it did maybe dampen it a little though. main thing was that the closed cell foam won't soak up water like jute will if I ever get water under the carpet again.

DSC_0698.jpg
    90 Red NA
    91 Red NA

Quote Originally Posted by motorollow View Post
    Just curious, was the carpet stained and mildewed so bad that it could not be cleaned? My carpet is at least 5 years older and still in excellent conditon.
    Hey Gary, the PO apparently didn't believe in floor mats and had worn a hole through the carpet. I bought used replacement carpets probably a couple of years ago but had just procrastinated putting them in (the hole was nothing a good floor mat wouldn't cover). Other than the jute padding getting soaked the carpets were fine. Since I needed to at least raise the carpet up to let it dry out I decided it was time to go ahead and replace them.
    90 Red NA
    91 Red NA

There was a company I found years ago on Miata.net through their vendors section that had carpet for all the Miata models, I will try to remember the name of the vendor but right now its not coming to mind.
    They had many colors and materials to choose from, and the prices were pretty reasonable. Maybe one of the other guys will remember it before I do.
    I would like to replace the carpet in mine too.
    99 Miata Black