Thread: Another Pikes Peak wreck

Default Another Pikes Peak wreck

Here is another wreck this weekend at Pikes Peak. The driver was ok, but it could have been very bad. Especially if he hit some spectators. Two videos from opposite sides of the road, and they both end with Holy SH....

Wow!
    SOLD: 91 Mazda Miata "Grand Sport" - FM V-Maxx coilovers, FM sways, Hard Dog roll bar, stock 1.6L running strong, 15" Star Specs, 96 Grand Sport paint
    - 85 GMC S15 Jimmy "the Tyclone" - LT1 350ci V8, AWD, Typhoon interior, 18" C5 wheels, 96 Grand Sport paint

Onboard.

Why in the f*ck would anybody stand on the outside of the corner to watch???
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

^ because that ain't very smart.........

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Why in the f*ck would anybody stand on the outside of the corner to watch???
    Because the inside was full, duh.
    M3 is always the answer.

Since Foley has released the pics, here are pics of Yuri's helmet. Yep, that cage saved his life. More like Bell saved his life.

More later.

Wow trashed helmet! Looks like it did its job extraordinarily well!
    SOLD: 91 Mazda Miata "Grand Sport" - FM V-Maxx coilovers, FM sways, Hard Dog roll bar, stock 1.6L running strong, 15" Star Specs, 96 Grand Sport paint
    - 85 GMC S15 Jimmy "the Tyclone" - LT1 350ci V8, AWD, Typhoon interior, 18" C5 wheels, 96 Grand Sport paint

I think those were stress cracks from the HANS doing it's job rather than actual blows to the helmet from the cage. Serious G's.

Nope, the yellow paint is the original paint from the car. That's car vs helmet there.

Here are a few more of the cage. Notice it was built for a single occupant only and has no diagonals to protect a passenger. That's legal. But it's not strong enough.

I'll post some others tomorrow.

A friend of mine received a call today. The caller accused me of spreading lies. The two lies I've been accused of spreading are that the cage failed and that Yuri's upper torso and head were outside the cage during the flip.

Well, the "cage failed" is a matter of opinion because some people will say that the safety equipment on any crash you are still breathing after was successful. I consider safety equipment a system. The entire system can be successful even if one component fails. In the case of Foley's car, I feel the cage failed, the belts failed (because the seat moved), the seat and mount failed and Yuri's helmet saved the day. Only because he was lucky.

The second statement is a fact. I've attached eight screen grabs from the heavily watched video and three cropped photos from the "My Life at Speed" Facebook album. They show both driver's and passenger's arms outside the cage during two different flips in the last three photos and the first eight show Yuri's helmeted head, shoulder and arm outside the cage.

I've also been accused of photo manipulation. Don't believe me? Capture the frames yourself from the video.

My purpose on posting these is not to defame Evolution Dynamics. It's to get competitors to reconsider building cars to the minimum spec. And not just a Pikes Peak, but for time trials, road racing, and other hillclimbs. Please look at any car you get in with a critical eye. Learn what a GOOD cage is and what makes it good.

The last three photos.

Driver

Lucky, very, very, very lucky.

I can't believe there were no nets and additional diagonals. And I'm aghast that there is no experience needed to qualify. Clearly driver error was the cause.

wow oh wow oh wow!

Rhys Millen's record-breaking Pikes Peak Hill Climb run!!

This is the best recap of the incident to date!

http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/...-82112/1414209
    2008 Evolution GSR

This screen caps are horrifying.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!