Thread: Well isn't that just peachy...

Default Well isn't that just peachy...

Monday I bled my brakes and decided to bleed my clutch too since I was having some interminute shifting difficulty.

I couldn't get the brakes bled. It seems bleeding them manually is a real PITA.

I went to Gary's last night to power bleed the clutch with his air compressor sucky thingamajig. Got all the air out but couldn't get the car into gear with the engine running.

The clutch isn't disengaging. We looked for leaks at the slave and clutch master but they're dry. Clutch pedal adjustment looks good.

Well, Town North has it and hopefully they will get it fixed today. I'm thinking the master or slave failed. The clutch was replaced about 45k miles ago and had been functioning good with no slipping.

Thanks to Gary and Justin for their help.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Let us know the solution!

Was the slave cylinder leaking at all? Kind of sounds like a dying slave master cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Let us know the solution!

Was the slave cylinder leaking at all? Kind of sounds like a dying slave master cylinder.
    Nerp. The boot rubber was a bit dry and cracked but no fluid. They have it in the shop now and are looking at it. Waiting to hear the diagnosis. The Clutch master looked ok too.

We figured to properly troubleshoot it I would have had to buy both for a cost of $160. My hopes is Town North can figure out which one is bad and fix it for less providing they don't try to tell me the clutch is bad.
    ...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by droptop
    The Clutch master looked ok too.
    How could you tell? X-Ray vision?

I hope it's something simple & cheap!

My thinking after talking to the SA is they will replace both the master and slave. Parts alone are $160 so I bet I'm looking at $200-$250 bill.

If it wasn't for MSR III tomorrow I'd have done it myself. I hate paying for service labor. Ah well... If it's fixed and I can be at the track all will be good. :)
    ...and across the line.

Car is getting fixed but it wasn't easy.

They came back with a quote of $366 for a clutch master and slave cylinder replacement.

I talked to Gary and he referred me to Kerry at Town North Mazda Parts. He offers Track Dog customers a 20% discount. He also has an out-of work friend that could do the labor for $75.

Then I get a call back from Town North. They want to know what they need to do to get this fixed for me. I told them to come close to the price I can get it done for from my other source and we'll talk.

They are going to fix it for $50 more which is justifiable since they have the car already. I talked to Kerry and he had talked to the SA and Mechanic and negotiated a better price for me. Nice of him to do this and totally unexpected.

Kerry also told me to refer any local Miata Enthusiasts to Penny (Service Advisor) and Jim (Mechanic) and they will assure us we get a fair deal. Just mention Track Dog Racing. Penny owns two Miatas and is a Miata nut and Jim promises to not over-charge labor hours.
    ...and across the line.

If it's not leaking any fluid it's the Clutch Master Cylinder. I know, I just re-built mine for 15 bucks and an hour of labor.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant