Thread: This sure beats that 57 MGA Roadster!

Default This sure beats that 57 MGA Roadster!

In 1968, while I was in high school, I bought a 57 MGA Roadster from a neighbor.
    That's the last time I drove a roadster until I bought a Red and Tan 99 with a sport package last week....
    WOW! Except for the legroom, the English could learn a few things from the design and handling of the Miata. The performance is a no brainer.....I test drove a few Miata's before I bought mine and it not only handles tighter it's also accelerates alot faster.
    It looks stock, so I don't know what the difference is....

I'm looking for speaker, which is blown, I can't seem to find anybody who sells Bose replacements.
    Anybody have some leads on that?

I'm looking forward to some good cruising with y'all.

David
    Waxahachie
    David
    99 Red and Tan Home
    Waxahachie, TX

Welcome!

You might want to consider a pair of aftermarket speakers rather than getting a Bose replacement. It may be cheaper, and many have reported that the typical $99 pair of Kenwood/Infinity/Your Favorite Brand sound better then the Bose.

Yes.. but... the Bose "system" speakers are .5 ohm...

Make sure it is blown... There could be torn weather shield or other demons rattling about. And if there's torn weather shield (whether or not the speaker is dead), a replacement won't live long.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Welcome David! Congrats on the Miata purchase, you're going to love it (sounds like you already do! ).
    I didn't think a '99 Sport was available with leather interior. Check inside the drivers side door-jamb. If it reads 'Hard S' it's not a Sport. If it reads 'Sport S' it is! The other way to tell is check your shocks and see if they are the yellow Bilsteins (only available on a Sport package).

Welcome, indeed.

FWIW, I drive a '59 MGA in high school. (My father had bought it long before and left it in the yard.) I agree with your assessment of the Miata as all the good stuff from the MG with none of the bad news. I remember specifically cruising down the road in the MGA when the clutch slave cylinder broke draining the reservoir -- which services both the clutch and brakes. Great news -- no clutch, no brakes either!

Anyway, congrats for finding your way to a Miata!

Chuck

Sweet Red & Tan my favorite color combo, got to get me one of those!

Welcome to the Madness!

I have had some suggestions from other board members about replacing my Bose speaker components with Clearwater speakers, they are supposed to make them in0.5 Ohm's for replacing the Bose speakers, and from what I hear sound better.

Welcome to the Forum, look forward to meeting you.
    99 Miata Black

Welcome David!

You could also try Mazda-Nissan Heaven, one of the local boneyards. Any of the Bose speakers from various Mazda cars that are the same physical shape should work.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Welcome to the forum, David!

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Welcome David! Congrats on the Miata purchase, you're going to love it (sounds like you already do! ).
    I didn't think a '99 Sport was available with leather interior. Check inside the drivers side door-jamb. If it reads 'Hard S' it's not a Sport. If it reads 'Sport S' it is! The other way to tell is check your shocks and see if they are the yellow Bilsteins (only available on a Sport package).
    That would be great advice if it wasn't backwards.

Here's what it really is:
    Hard S = Sport Package car
    Sport S = non-Sport car

Unfortunately, the actual Mazda Sport Package (the one that reads as "Hard S" on the doorjamb sticker) was not available in conjunction with any other packages in 1999, including the Leather Package.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Does that mean Sammm just swapped rear ends for no reason?

Welcome David please put on your thickest skin while in this forum
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Here's what it really is:
    Hard S = Sport Package car
    Sport S = non-Sport car
    doh!

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    Does that mean Sammm just swapped rear ends for no reason?
    bastard!

OK, Y'ALL GET A BIT CRAZY DON'T YOU! I LIKE IT.
    The speaker on the driver side sound cracked.....all the time.
    The speaker on the passenger side sounds fine sometimes, sometimes not. While driving with the volume up they both sound fine.....

If I could attach the picture of the original window sticker I would.
    Yes, the original window sticker I found inside the owner's manual.
    Tan leather, AC, AM/FM/CD/Cassette, tweeters, CD sampler, Black leather Nardi steering wheel and shift knob, glass rear window with defroster, Torsen Limited Slip Differential, power windows/locks/antenna, windblock, cruise control, front air dam, side sills, rear mud guards, and acceleration that is 30% better than the other Miata's I test drove.

It seems as though a group get together will resolve whether I have the sport suspension or not, even the sticker says "SPORT S" on it. That and the fact that all the other Miata's I test drove rode much smoother....

SO WHEN IS THE NEXT GET TOGETHER!

David
    David
    99 Red and Tan Home
    Waxahachie, TX

Quote Originally Posted by David Crisford
    Use CarDomain.com to post up photos of your car... and of the sticker!

We like to call it "chihauhaus on a pork chop." Glad you like it!
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

David...I have a Bose speaker out of my 99...just PM me and come and get it!

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    We like to call it "chihauhaus on a pork chop." Glad you like it!
    ______

MME is not for timid chihuahuas...

OK, Y'ALL GET A BIT CRAZY DON'T YOU!
    Yep.

Yes, the original window sticker I found inside the owner's manual.
    Tan leather, AC, AM/FM/CD/Cassette, tweeters, CD sampler, Black leather Nardi steering wheel and shift knob, glass rear window with defroster, Torsen Limited Slip Differential, power windows/locks/antenna, windblock, cruise control, front air dam, side sills, rear mud guards, and acceleration that is 30% better than the other Miata's I test drove.

It seems as though a group get together will resolve whether I have the sport suspension or not, even the sticker says "SPORT S" on it. That and the fact that all the other Miata's I test drove rode much smoother....
    Unfortunately David, if it were truly a Sport, it would also have the rear decklid spoiler, a big black tubular adjustable shock tower brace under the hood, and bright yellow shocks that say "Bilstein" on them.

It would also say "Hard S" on the doorsill sticker... kinda like my '99 Sport does.

Don't worry - it's not like the non-Sport Miatas are Lincoln Town Cars or anything. In fact, unless you plan to strip out the a/c and build a Nationally competitive SCCA autocross car, be thankful you don't have a Sport - in '99, getting the Sport Package meant not being able to have such niceties as cruise, power windows, locks, antenna, etc.

As for power, all stock Miatas are not equal. I've seen 1/6L '90-'93 Miatas make as much as 104whp and as little as 88whp, with no difference in mods. '99-'00 Miatas typically make ~110whp on a dyno... mine makes 123whp with nothing more than a different muffler. Sounds like you got lucky and got one of the strong ones. Congratulations.

SO WHEN IS THE NEXT GET TOGETHER!

David
    CHeck the Events & Drives section, the Impromptu Events section, or surf the Autocross Events section and make plans to join a bunch of us in Mineral Wells this coming Saturday for the next local autocross, where you really get to see how much fun these cars can be.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw