Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Texas Region SCCA Event #8 at TMS Bus Lot 10/21/2012

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

^Not everyone hates the bus lot....I'm one of them.

I'm also a fan of TMS!

Fo, sho
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    ^Not everyone hates the bus lot....I'm one of them.
    Me four. Frankly, I could do without the postage stamp lots in Mesquite and Pennington and the gravel pit at Lone Star park, but keep the Bus Lot on the schedule.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Variety is the spice of life

Let's not severe our ties with the Mineral Ring.

The well run events are one of the few redeeming values of the dust lot.

Steve E

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Me four. Frankly, I could do without the postage stamp lots in Mesquite and Pennington and the gravel pit at Lone Star park, but keep the Bus Lot on the schedule.
    Ding Ding...Mesquite is a postage stamp gravel pit too!

Favorites are Crandall and TMS by a long shot.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

I don't honestly see what advantage TMS has over Crandall. Not saying I don't like TMS, but now that it is smaller and there are even further surface inconsistencies, why bother?
    C5 Base Daily Driven Beater
    Borrowed 1M
    (2017 B-Street Pro Solo Champion)

Jeremy Foley

Quote Originally Posted by ratt_finkel View Post
    I don't honestly see what advantage TMS has over Crandall. Not saying I don't like TMS, but now that it is smaller and there are even further surface inconsistencies, why bother?
    Lower tire wear, decent places to eat around the venue, and about the same distance to Crandall for me.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

I personally love running at the Bus Lot. It is a fun site with great amenities, always draws good attendance, and is very kind to tires and suspension parts. I agree it is not a site that provides good practice for National-level competitors, but most autocrossers are not, and Crandall has really helped wth that. I hope we keep 2 TMS events/season in SCCA, at least.

The Mineral Ring is a great site no matter how much people complain about the drive. No other place like it. Since there will be another ProSolo at the site( and hopefully Tours in the future), it seems crazy not to have 1-2 events there to take advantage of "home field."

Crandall seems to be the site-of-the-future, and I am happy about that. Having the bulk of the season there makes tons of sense: it is concrete, it is affordable, they have concessions, the East Tx/LA/AR folks are willing to make the drive, and Houston/Austin folks are indicating interest as well. Downside: its a long haul for westsiders accustomed to TMS/PMS/MW.

SCCA is one of the few clubs that can still use PMS, and I'd hope for 1 event there. No other site is better-located.

I know that Resistol is small, but it has a terrific surface and is close-in. Definitely the last choice for me, but I like it better than Mesquite, and the courses have been almost the same length as Mesquite West, even though the lot seems bigger. If the possibility of hiring a sweeper to thoroughly de-gravel West Mesquite exists, it ough to be seriously considered by the clubs, or I forsee another LSP.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

TMS and Crandall are about the same distance from my house. I like them both for all the reasons listed above. I like Mineralring, I like PMS, I like almost any location. I've only been to Mesquite once, and it rained but it wasn't all that bad. Never run on Resistol.
    I think we should keep as many options open as possible and use them all just to add variety and convenience to the occassional autocrosser. In my opinion, we can skip the stupid road course permanently, but I know it draws the special kids. Wait, that's another reason to skip it.

Lap of Texas Region
    What about a series of events next year at all the locations like the old divisionals???
    Last edited by onething; 10-22-2012 at 11:05 AM.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Default Texas Region SCCA Event #8 at TMS Bus Lot 10/21/2012

I like a variety of venues. Each have their pros and cons.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    I like a variety of venues. Each have their pros and cons.
    +1
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

I agree with both JJ and OZMDD. Having a variety of surfaces creates another element of competition. I know that I have better success on some as opposed to others, which makes finding a better setup tailored to each venue important. That is what makes it fun. We should use all of them in the future and consider ourselves lucky that we have choices. Even though it looks like LSP and Pennington have priced themselves out of the market intentionally, we should re-visit them at some point to see if they might want the revenue.

I'm all for variety as well but hate to see an elite few get TMS pulled of the schedule just because they don't like it.

But with OZMDD's love of TMS (he got Top PAX Time Yesterday) and his Autocross leadership aspirations I think we may be OK for a while.

But we need to stay ever vigilant.

BTW. I'd also like to see the TMS Road Course back on the Schedule for 2013 please!

OZMDD summed it up pretty well. I would like a few events at TMS, Mineral Wells, Dallas Raceway, maybe 1 event at the Mesquite sites just to keep our foot in the door, you never know when you might lose one of the good sties.

For me the sites are

1. Dallas raceway
    2. Mineral Wells
    3. TMS
    4. Both Mesquite sites

We are so lucky to have so many good sites, great job by the guys and gals running the show on getting good sites for us. Many area would love to have the Mesquite sites.

TMS said they planned on expanding the bus lot to the west. Given the drop in NASCAR attendance I don't see that happening. It would be great if they would repave a section of lot-zilla.
    M3 is always the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    TMS said they planned on expanding the bus lot to the west. Given the drop in NASCAR attendance I don't see that happening. It would be great if they would repave a section of lot-zilla.
    There's already a cut-thru being excavated at the Southwest corner of the Bus Lot. More than likely there's going to be an additional lot to the West the last I heard.
    Brad Maxcy
    Texas Region SCCA Solo
    [email protected]

Default Texas Region SCCA Event #8 at TMS Bus Lot 10/21/2012

Quote Originally Posted by autoxmax View Post
    There's already a cut-thru being excavated at the Southwest corner of the Bus Lot. More than likely there's going to be an additional lot to the West the last I heard.
    Indeed. I will not increase the lot size, but it will hopefully allow is to grid off the lot for SCCA events and perhaps put the starter off the main lot, too. It will give us some room back. For no -SCCA events, it might end gridding on Turd Row.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast