Thread: HELP!!! Car won't start!

Default HELP!!! Car won't start!

I recently did timing belt/water pump and now my car won't fire up. When I first put the timing stuff back together, I did have it off a tooth. It would turnover really rough when I was trying to start it and it would backfire. Where I have the timing now it will turn over as normal it just will not start.

The car has new plugs and plug wires I have made sure all electrical connections under the hood are plugged in, and I have double checked the crankshaft position sensor and it's proximity to the pulley.

It had a check engine light before I did this, so I'm not sure if it's throwing a new code. The car is acting like it did when my battery died at the airport once and it wouldn't start. I'm going to try to jumpstart it in the morning before work, but other than that I'm at a loss.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Is it doing anything? Is it even trying to start?

It wouldn't be the first time one of us put the Crankshaft position sensor plate back wrong during a timing belt change.

It isn't trying to start at all. Checking the timing plate is on my list of things to do tonight when I get home from work.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

NB? Go back and check that you have all connectors that you disconnected *firmly* seated. I had the crank sensor connector together, but not seated. It started and ran fine for a while, then began misfiring as the connector worked its way apart under vibration. It's *possible* a sensor went bad, but much more likely something you did.

Do you have a code reader? If not, borrow one, reset the codes, and read again.

Could someone please develop a flowchart for this crap.
    M3 is always the answer.

A)NA stops working --> call Rogue --> Rogue fixes and you drive on!

B)NA stops working -->don't call Rogue, fuck with it for a while and hope bailing wire works --> beg for help on forums even though nobody really knows --> give up, buy NC!
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    A)NA stops working --> call Rogue --> Rogue fixes and you drive on!

B)NA stops working -->don't call Rogue, fuck with it for a while and hope bailing wire works --> beg for help on forums even though nobody really knows --> give up, buy NC!
    Very true!

Rogue will also work on NB's BTW!!

He just finds some of the NC folks creepy..... (as do I)
    Last edited by POS Racing; 10-23-2012 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    It wouldn't be the first time one of us put the Crankshaft position sensor plate back wrong during a timing belt change.
    Winner! Got home tonight verified that the plugs were sparking, then flipped the plate. Engine fired right up.

Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13 View Post
    Winner! Got home tonight verified that the plugs were sparking, then flipped the plate. Engine fired right up.
    I'll mail you an invoice to cover my consulting fee.

Glad ya got it fixed!