Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flying Miata Vmaxx Extremes

Quote Originally Posted by MoonieGT View Post
    Think that they are actually different. Plus, having FM to support you and the product is a big plus.
    Think they are slightly different but FM never has them in stock.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Yes the ebay and FM v-maxx are different(spring rates and possibly valving), and FM should be receiving a shipment within the next few weeks (before the end of the month according to Keith). I just ordered some longer springs from FM, so I'm currently waiting for that shipment. My personal thoughts are they are better than my stock MSM suspension, but with the original v-maxx springs I couldn't raise my MSM up enough without coil bind. Once I get the longer springs I think they will ride even better as I won't be on the bumpstops nearly as much. For a lighter weight NA miata I think the springs that come with the package will work great for slightly lowered daily driver that might see an autocross or two.
    2013 Mazda2 slushbox daily
    1993 Miata (future exocet donor)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDmiata View Post
    Yes the ebay and FM v-maxx are different(spring rates and possibly valving), and FM should be receiving a shipment within the next few weeks (before the end of the month according to Keith). I just ordered some longer springs from FM, so I'm currently waiting for that shipment. My personal thoughts are they are better than my stock MSM suspension, but with the original v-maxx springs I couldn't raise my MSM up enough without coil bind. Once I get the longer springs I think they will ride even better as I won't be on the bumpstops nearly as much. For a lighter weight NA miata I think the springs that come with the package will work great for slightly lowered daily driver that might see an autocross or two.
    Thanks, do you mean the non FM spec springs are ok for a NA daily driver? FM changed the rear spring rate and spring lengths, valving is the same. I do not plan on slamming the car by any means just lowering it a bit to close the wheel gap. From what I understand you will only run into an issue with coil bind unless you are pretty low.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Sorry I meant the springs that come with the FM package should be good for your use. The ebay version has a much higher rear spring rate, so I can't say how those will ride.

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Any entry-level product containing the word "Extreme" (and three 'x's overall) can't not be awesome.

Sorry I meant the springs that come with the FM package should be good for your use. The ebay version has a much higher rear spring rate, so I can't say how those will ride.
    Right, the rear spring rate is much reduced with the FM kit. Is it worth 200+ bucks more? Hard to tell. I've read good and bad reviews for both the FM and non FM versions.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

If you are at either of the ER events this weekend, feel free to ride along in my MSM and see how they feel.

If you are at either of the ER events this weekend, feel free to ride along in my MSM and see how they feel.
    Thanks for the offer but I don't think I'll make either of those events. Are you still on the original Vmaxx waiting to update your springs from FM?
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Buy the cheaper kit from Vmaxx, pull the rear sway bar and get the balance right with the alignment.

Doubt there will be a big difference in service buying from Flyin Miata unless they would be willing to send you a new set of coilovers if you've got a problem. They will probably tell you to talk to the manufacturer. Kind of like how Goodwin Racing handled the situation with Russ's Ohlins.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    Buy the cheaper kit from Vmaxx, pull the rear sway bar and get the balance right with the alignment.

Doubt there will be a big difference in service buying from Flyin Miata unless they would be willing to send you a new set of coilovers if you've got a problem. They will probably tell you to talk to the manufacturer. Kind of like how Goodwin Racing handled the situation with Russ's Ohlins.
    Supposidly FM spec'd their own rear springs that are 78 pounds softer in the rear and a bit longer. Not sure how much difference that makes in reality for a street car. They are having supply chain issues with their setup anyway so I'm leaning towards the $500 ebay setup direct from V-maxx USA.

I would be pissed if I spent Ohlin's money and the vendor told me to talk directly to the manufacturer. For a $500 set I can understand.
    Last edited by CosmosMpower; 11-09-2012 at 11:56 AM.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Mine are the original FM version which still had the shorter rear springs. I've had the setup for over a year now, but I'm really tired of the ultra low setting.

Mine are the original FM version which still had the shorter rear springs. I've had the setup for over a year now, but I'm really tired of the ultra low setting.
    Let me know if you want to sell the rear springs you have now (do you have a NA or NB)? I would probably buy the non FM kit and use their original rear spring therefore making it effectively a FM kit.
    Last edited by CosmosMpower; 11-09-2012 at 01:14 PM.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

I think they use different bump stops as well? Given the limited travel we have to start with, make sure the standard VMaxx bump stops are up to the task.
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

Quote Originally Posted by MoonieGT View Post
    I think they use different bump stops as well? Given the limited travel we have to start with, make sure the standard VMaxx bump stops are up to the task.
    Good point. I'm probably one of the few people that would run them at a higher setting (a bit lower than stock) so hopefully that helps with shock travel.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    Is your set from flyin miata? I found a set on eBay from vmaxx USA for cheaper not sure if there's a difference.
    Sorry, I was away from the internet for a few days. Yes, mine are from FM and (as has been noted) they are different from the off-the-shelf/eBay version. FM tested those and wouldn't sell them because they weren't up to their standards. Instead, they worked with VMaxx and tested various custom versions to select one that they would put their name behind. I don't want to speak for them, but I'm pretty sure that if your set blew up on you, they'd replace them for you instead of sending you to the manufacturer. That's a pretty crappy customer service approach.

As for ride height issues, I have none. Mine's a 2002 though.

Vmaxx = Raceland. Get a set of racelands for $230 less

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    Vmaxx = Raceland. Get a set of racelands for $230 less
    Not.

On the question of supply: http://www.flyinmiata.com/projects/c...s.php?UID=1227 I realize it's not a great thing to have to wait because they can't keep up with demand (I had to wait a month or so). On the other hand, if something sells so well that it's hard to make them fast enough, that does seem to speak well of the product.

Quote Originally Posted by cwisenheimer View Post
    Not.

On the question of supply: http://www.flyinmiata.com/projects/c...s.php?UID=1227 I realize it's not a great thing to have to wait because they can't keep up with demand (I had to wait a month or so). On the other hand, if something sells so well that it's hard to make them fast enough, that does seem to speak well of the product.
    I don't think they are out of stock because they sell so well they can't make them fast enough. I think they have supply chain issues with the manufacturer and have been out for months. That's not to say they are not good shocks.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

I considered getting Vmaxx as a replacement for my FM springs/KYB AGX shocks/fat cat bump stops, as I want height adjustability. I test drove an NA with Vmaxx and scrapped the idea on the spot. They seemed really bouncy to me compared to my current setup.

AST > MSM Bilstein > my hole > VMAXXXX
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast