Thread: Inspection with CEL on.

Suspension Modder

Default Inspection with CEL on.

Can I pass inspection with the CEL on?

problem: o2 sensor.

ps. so I dont make a new thread. never go to Asia Automotive in Rowlett. The guy's an a' who makes up sh' excuses about not having my car ready for 4.5 months.

thanks. have a nice day.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Miatabich
    Can I pass inspection with the CEL on?
    Possibly... how long has it been lit?

problem: o2 sensor.
    Is it skewing the NOX output? If so, you probably won't pass.

never go to Asia Automotive in Rowlett. The guy's an a' who makes up sh' excuses
    Never heard of them...but thanks for the heads-up!

thanks. have a nice day.
    You're welcome... and you do the same!

~$65 and an hour's work will buy you a new Bosch O2 sensor from Autozone. Why keep driving around with the check engine light on? If your O2 sensor has crapped out, the ECU has probably defaulted to a pretty rich mixture, which will:

A) Kill your gas mileage

B) Kill your catalytic converter, which can't be replaced for ~$65.

Besides, I don't think you can pass emissions in with a check engine light on for an emissions-related device in a OBDII car.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    ...I don't think you can pass emissions in with a check engine light on for an emissions-related device in a OBDII car.
    From the Texas Inspection Criteria site -

Quote Originally Posted by Texas DMV
    If the vehicle has DTC's stored, and the MIL is commanded on: -The vehicle will need repairs to correct the malfunction before it will pass the OBDII inspection.
    -If you've cleared the DTC's (using a scan tool or disconnecting the battery), monitors will reset to "NOT READY".
    -Driving the vehicle through the drive cycle/drive trace will set the monitors back to "Ready" and verify that the repairs were effective.
    -With a generic OBDII scan tool, verify the monitors are "READY" before returning the vehicle to the customer.
    So it sounds like, no, you won't be passing... but like altiain metioned, it's an easy fix.

Hey Miatabich long time no posts! Glad to see you back lurking, do you still do work in Hurst?

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Hey Miatabich long time no posts! Glad to see you back lurking, do you still do work in Hurst?
    What does that have to do with getting her car inspected?

Miatabich - may your luck with that car improve greatly.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    What does that have to do with getting her car inspected?
    Well I'll tell you ya nosey punk!

If you take a right out of the parking lot where Miatabich work(ed) and go up the hill to the light across the street from the Jack in the Box is an inspection place. There is a nice young lady who works there as an inspector who has a Miata (belive it's a '91) and loves Miatas. Figured Miatabich could go check with her and see exactly what she needed to do to get the car inspected. Since it is so close to where she work(ed) in Hurst.
    Last edited by POS Racing; 05-05-2005 at 08:00 AM.

Put a small, black piece of tape over the CEL. This worked on my blinky airbag light on the old 91. It might not fool the computer, though....

Quote Originally Posted by Mathews2004
    It might not fool the computer, though....
    You're right!

The comp has to read a certain number of "ready" codes... and with a CEL going, those codes won't be there.

There's about a 95% failure rate on the inspection w/ the CEL on. I never saw one pass while working up in Carrollton that had the code on. And when you do get it fixed, go through 10 or so "driving cycles" before bringing it in to get inspected. This is about a week of driving or so if you don't drive a lot, and 3-4 days if you drive 10+ miles a couple times a day.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Talking

Adam, you didnt see my 93 tbird pass Although since it was pre obd2 it was pretty easy to get that one passed
    2013 Mazda2 slushbox daily
    1993 Miata (future exocet donor)

I believe she has a 99. In that case, it will FAIL with the light on. They connect the car to the computer and it reads the OBD2 info. If you unplug your battery to turn the light off just before getting inspected, it will not pass because there can only be 3 "not ready" messages.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    I believe she has a 99. In that case, it will FAIL with the light on. They connect the car to the computer and it reads the OBD2 info. If you unplug your battery to turn the light off just before getting inspected, it will not pass because there can only be 3 "not ready" messages.
    If the OBD2 port interface doesn't work (say if it was unplugged from the computer ), they will not fail you for that. Instead, they do the dyno test used for pre-OBD2 cars. They will then give you a piece of paper saying that the dealership is required to fix the faulty port for free if you have less than 75K miles.

On a 99 are you sure? I think you might be right for 96-98 MY cars. Maybe you are right, I didnt want to unhook my obd2 stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    If the OBD2 port interface doesn't work (say if it was unplugged from the computer ), they will not fail you for that. Instead, they do the dyno test used for pre-OBD2 cars. They will then give you a piece of paper saying that the dealership is required to fix the faulty port for free if you have less than 75K miles.
    I'm not sure this is correct, my understanding is if the light doesn't lite up then you fail. If it stays lit you fail. If it comes on then goes off at startup, yet they can't interface with your computer, then they do the dyno test.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane
    I'm not sure this is correct, my understanding is if the light doesn't lite up then you fail. If it stays lit you fail. If it comes on then goes off at startup, yet they can't interface with your computer, then they do the dyno test.
    This is what happened to me with one of my cars last September.

Titus is right about the OBDII port thing. If it doesn't read the RPM signal (IE, some manufacturers just have the problem, sometimes the port has loose wiring, um, somebody *forgets* to plug the connector in), then usually it will tell the inspector to run it on the dyno test, if the facility has a dyno test. I watched in utter amazement when an 01, maybe 02 Jetta got to do a dyno test. We knew that a 99 model car would probably get away with it, but were amazed by the Jetta. It's port was completely screwed up.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane
    The light thing is a simple question asked pre-plugin. All a knowledgable inspector has to do is answer the questions the right way
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Suspension Modder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing

Hello. Yes I've been MIA. working working. I still work in Hurst every now and then. It's my parents store. Will be working there this weekend, I think.

Ill go ahead and attempt to change the o2 sensor and see what happens. Thanks everyone.