Thread: New STR class of SCCA Solo Competition?

strathound

Default New STR class of SCCA Solo Competition?

I saw this reference in an article in Grassroots Motorsports here:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/pro...da-mx-5-miata/

We’re borrowing a new
    MX-5 from Mazda and working with our friends from The Tire Rack to build it for competition in the new STR class of SCCA Solo competition.
    A quick Google search turned up this:

http://www.scca.com/events/news.cfm?eid=3893&cid=50923

The Tire Rack SCCA National Solo Series and the Solo Events Board have announced the addition of several supplemental classes for the 2012 season.These classes, dubbed “Road Tire” or RT, are designed to give competitors who wish to compete within the Stock Category rule set, but do so on traditional street tires, a place to play.
    So, I have several questions. First, are any of the local events hosting RT events? Is anyone here competing in them and mind if I ask them questions? I think this would be perfect for me next year as a class to start auto crossing.

Any help navigating these waters would be appreciated.

Michael

The STR class is a few years old now.

The local SCCA chaptor (and Equipe Rapide club) has supported a Tire class (for street tires) for many years. The RT class on a National level only supports vehicles that could be included in a Stock class. If you have modified your car for STR, then it is not eligible for RT. You would run in STR.

The other three clubs (NTAXS, PCA, and BMW) all have classes that support street tires.

Go to www.dfwautocross.com for a schedule of all the local autcross events and Like us on Facebook at facebook.com/dfwautocross.

strathound

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    The STR class is a few years old now.

The local SCCA chaptor (and Equipe Rapide club) has supported a Tire class (for street tires) for many years. The RT class on a National level only supports vehicles that could be included in a Stock class. If you have modified your car for STR, then it is not eligible for RT. You would run in STR.

The other three clubs (NTAXS, PCA, and BMW) all have classes that support street tires.

Go to www.dfwautocross.com for a schedule of all the local autcross events and Like us on Facebook at facebook.com/dfwautocross.
    If I run STR, can I also run CS with different rims and tires? Basically, I'm looking for advice on where to start as a beginner driver. The STR class is appealing for many reasons (tires, NC Miata, etc). I have a brand new 2012 Miata Touring Edition with the suspension package. I've currently got stock wheels and tires (and everything else). I'm looking for a class with the lowest barrier to entry. I like the idea of not having to buy racing compound tires. But I also noticed some discussion on the SCCA forums that suggest that in STR you might need different tires for hot, cold and wet.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Will I be limiting myself to fewer events in STR because it's a specialty class?

You can run a stock NC in STR, but you will be so far from competitive that its pointless. The modifications allowed in STR are significant. My 06 NC (black with gold wheels, we've met) is prepped for National-level STR competition, though it is still not prepped to the limit of the rules. The modifications are not easily reversible; it would take days to put my car into a stock-level configuration.

Running your car in Stock form in the tire classes is your best bet, and is a great place to learn how to autocross properly. R-comps are your enemy if your goal is to become skilled at driving your car. They will allow you to get away with poor habits and skills that street tires would not. They are expensive too!

If you really want wide wheels for street driving, keep your oem wheels and use them for autocross tires. That way you will be stock-legal in SCCA/ER events, and you won't trash your daily driving tires or give-up wet/cold weather traction and comfort.

There are modifications that can be done to the car within the Stock ruleset if you are looking to mildly improve the car (shocks and sway bar are the biggest and most useful along with a good alignment - must be within manufacturer specs). The NC goes to STR and then CSP if you modify it beyond stock, and both of those classes are extremely competitive and fast, so read/ask before you spend money or make changes.

TXcoyote has a similar car to yours that he is prepping for STR, so you might talk to him about the changes each mod makes and the cost/benefit. Still, the best advice is to get some good tires and spend a season learning how to drive the car.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by strathound View Post
    Any thoughts or suggestions? Will I be limiting myself to fewer events in STR because it's a specialty class?
    It depends on what club(s) you want to run with. If you want to run SCCA, start in Novice C-stock, upgrade your shocks and tires. STR is a tough class period, let alone for a nooB (no offense).

strathound

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Running your car in Stock form in the tire classes is your best bet, and is a great place to learn how to autocross properly.
    Ok, great information. Thanks. So, stock form would be the CS class, right? And are there further classifications by tire, like CS-S Rated, CS-Z Rated, CS-Racing Compound? Or is CS just CS and you just run with the best tires you can afford?

MS

strathound

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    It depends on what club(s) you want to run with. If you want to run SCCA, start in Novice C-stock, upgrade your shocks and tires. STR is a tough class period, let alone for a nooB (no offense).
    No offense taken, I put the NEW in newb. :)

Just show up with what you got and get some experience. It does not come easy for many people, so focus on seat time.

C-stock open class is unlimited for tires, so long as they are DOT. This is where the R-comps will dominate. The alternative is the "Tire" or RT class, which runs all the stock-eligible cars together and limits the treadwear to 140+. Speed rating of tires is not related to grip, so it is nor considered. That is where you want to be, and all Stock rules in the 2013 SCCA rulebook will apply other than tire limitations. Tire size is unlimited, so long as you run a stock-size wheel.

The Novice class operates on the same basic system as the Tire class, but is limited to beginner drivers and is open to all classes of vehicles, so long as they are not running R-comps.It's a great way to have competitors who are at the learning stage and improving. Driving against experienced drivers can be intimidating early-on.
    Polished Turd Racing

strathound

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    C-stock open class is unlimited for tires, so long as they are DOT. This is where the R-comps will dominate. The alternative is the "Tire" or RT class, which runs all the stock-eligible cars together and limits the treadwear to 140+. Speed rating of tires is not related to grip, so it is nor considered. That is where you want to be, and all Stock rules in the 2013 SCCA rulebook will apply other than tire limitations. Tire size is unlimited, so long as you run a stock-size wheel.

The Novice class operates on the same basic system as the Tire class, but is limited to beginner drivers and is open to all classes of vehicles, so long as they are not running R-comps.It's a great way to have competitors who are at the learning stage and improving. Driving against experienced drivers can be intimidating early-on.
    Is the C-Stock class the same as "The Novice Class?" Sorry, the terminology is making my head spin.

strathound

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Just show up with what you got and get some experience. It does not come easy for many people, so focus on seat time.
    Yeah, I hear ya. I just want to be prepared, one way or the other. The way I'm leaning at the moment is two sets of tires, neither of which is r-comp and compete in both classes. I'll be more competitive in the C-Stock class, but still get dominated by the r-comps. Then I can also run in the STR class, get dominated there by people with more skill but possibly learn more. Just an idea.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Is the C-Stock class the same as "The Novice Class?" Sorry, the terminology is making my head spin.
    Any class be run prefixed with Novice...in your case it would be NCS (Novice C-Stock) for your first season. No R-compounds allowed in Novice, and you'll get to learn what PAX is!
    http://www.gotcone.com/blog/2013-sol...index-851.html

Yeah, I hear ya. I just want to be prepared, one way or the other. The way I'm leaning at the moment is two sets of tires, neither of which is r-comp and compete in both classes. I'll be more competitive in the C-Stock class, but still get dominated by the r-comps. Then I can also run in the STR class, get dominated there by people with more skill but possibly learn more. Just an idea.
    If you don't want to run NCS, you can run TCS (Street Tire C-stock). Your wheels would have to be the OEM size and offset within 1/4" (I think) to technically be legal. To remain SCCA stock legal you can change shocks, but not springs. You can change your front or rear sway bar. You can change your exhaust from the cat back.

STR opens up a big can of worms of what mods are allowed.

You really need to spend a little time reading the SCCA rulebook to understand this. In a nutshell:

"Stock" a group of classes (A,B,C, etc) that allow minimal modifications to the car. They may run ANY DOT tire they like on a stock-size wheel.

"Street Touring" another group of classes (S,R,X,U, etc) that allow a wide-variety of common bolt-on performance and tuning modifications. All ST classes must run street tires (140+ treadwear rating). Tire and wheel sizes are limited by class. ST classes are ineligible for Tire and Road Tire classes.

"Street Prepared" yet another group of classes that allow drastically more modifications and are often not even street legal cars anymore, or barely. Fender pulling, massive tire/wheel combos, and R-comps are legal. Also not eligible for RT class, but can be run in local Tire and Novice classes on street tires.

"Street Modified, Prepared, Modified" I'm not even going to bother explaining, other than to say that these range from full-blown track cars to purpose-built race cars and all kinds of mechanical shennanigans. Turbos, engine swaps, tube frames, open-wheel cars, etc. Don't even think about RT class, and many of these cars can't even find street tires in their size or would be undrivable on them. R-comp tires, and even full race slicks for some of them.

"Road Tire" - an official SCCA class in which any STOCK-class car can run on 140+ treadwear tires against other stock cars and times are indexed to compare evenly. Only stock-legal cars can compete here.

"Tire" is a local class that several clubs have that is open to any car from any class (except Street Touring) running on 140+ treadwear tires. Again, an index is used to compare times evenly.

"Novice" works exactly like Tire, but is limited to newer participants.

There are also ladies-only versions of all classes listed above.
    Last edited by OZMDD; 12-11-2012 at 12:01 PM.
    Polished Turd Racing

strathound

All,

THANK YOU. Great explanations. I spent two hours reading the SCCA rule book last night, and honestly, I was getting a bit confused by the 352 pages of SCCA speak. Some of this is old hat for many of you. Thank you very much for the multiple attempts to explain it. I think it's beginning to finally sink in.

The bit I was missing was the existence of a Novice class. That sounds perfect for me. Now that I have my copy of the rules up, I did a quick search for the word "Novice" and it's mentioned exactly twice (and neither in the context described above). This is where it pays to be able to ask questions of people like you guys who have been to a few of these events.

So, in a nutshell, I'm going to show up and participate as a Novice with my stock car. Can't wait to get started.

Michael

Be sure and check out the NTAXS, BMW and PCA autocrosses too. Typically more runs per event than some of the other clubs, i.e. MORE SEAT TIME.
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

For stock your alignment does not have to be within factory specs, you can run as much camber, caster, tow as you want and can get without non factory parts (no offset bushings). Swaybars front or rear but not both.

RT backed away from the change to 180 TW and staying with 140 TW on the tires, but the Toyo R1R in 195-15 size is not allowed.

Thx, forgot about the non-change to RT. I confused the rules about timing with the alignment rules. Alignment is open, so long as you use factory provided adjustments (or methods specified in the FSM)
    Polished Turd Racing

Your best bet is NCS on your existing street tires. Get a feel for it before you upgrade anything. The best prepped car in the world doesn't help if you can't drive it fast, I.E Ken0.
    Andy Cost
    Humble Servant - Equipe Rapide

Yep...run novice then run in the local T-CS class. The RT classes are really (IMO) just a class for the more casual competitior to get into national competition. An index class won't ever be a solution or a real national class IMO. If it's decided street tires in stock are good the national ruleset will change to 140+ tires in all stock classes...but that's at least a couple years away.

Read the stock class section of the rule book. The 12-15 things it says you can do is it. Nothing else. If you don't see what you're looking for there that you want to do it means you can't do it.

Simple solution as they said is just drive it. :) FWIW I have drven a mini cooper on bone stock shocks for 2 years and trophied at nationals and did quite well at a pro solo. The newer better shocks will help next year, but it's not unheard of :)
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX
    92 Miata SE; 08 Mazda 3s; 12 Mazdaspeed 3