Thread: Has anyone applied for an inspection waiver?

Default Has anyone applied for an inspection waiver?

I'm thinking about applying for a "low mileage" inspection waiver for my '96. Before I installed the Megasquirt I couldn't get the OBD-II monitors to come online in order to get a clean sticker. Since I drive the car less than 5,000 miles a year I think I qualify for a waiver.

There is a low mileage exemption for motorists who drive less than 5,000 miles/year. To qualify for this exemption you must:

Fail both the initial test and free retest
    Incur $100 of emissions related repairs
    Drive less than 5,000 miles/year
    If you meet these qualifications then you would qualify for the low mileage waiver. Contact the DPS challenge station in your area for more information on the forms to complete.
    I think I can make that happen. I'll have to swap the OEM brain back into the car temporarily, of course. Just curious if anyone has done this before and, if so, what I can expect in terms of successfully obtaining said waiver.

I'm not sure about low mileage exemption, but when my FIL got an exemption on a Volvo, it was only good for that one year, and couldn't be applied for again in the future. This was over 10 years ago though.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

There's another exemption on the list that requires you apply for it every year. I dun wan that one.

Quote Originally Posted by mk2tmr2 View Post
    There's another exemption on the list that requires you apply for it every year. I dun wan that one.
    They all require you to apply every year according to the way it is written. Have fun testing twice and spending $100 in repairs every year.

Yeah. I just re-read that first paragraph and you're right. It needs to happen every year.

~$150 a year is a fair price - in my opinion - to legally run an OBD-II car without it's original brain and, essentially, do whatever the hell you want to it as long as it passes muster at the tailpipe.

Good luck with that I tried that with my 96 and I was rejected. It is meant for low income individuals that can't afford to repair their car, not for gear heads. That said it was over five years ago when I tried it.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin96M View Post
    Good luck with that I tried that with my 96 and I was rejected. It is meant for low income individuals that can't afford to repair their car, not for gear heads. That said it was over five years ago when I tried it.
    I think that's me these days.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Default Re: Has anyone applied for an inspection waiver?

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin96M View Post
    They have a separate waiver that is for low income individuals. The 1 that I am going for is for people who drive their car less than 5000 miles a year.