Thread: Local battery recommendation?

Default Local battery recommendation?

Looking for recommendations on an "upgraded" battery that i can source locally at a decent price. I was thinking optima, but spotty quality lately and high price has me looking for other options. Needs to be a good DD battery where I can have the car sit a few weeks and still crank over.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Get a trickle-charger instead.

Surprisingly my vatozone duralast gold fired up effortlessly everytime leaving it for over a month or two out in the elements. Did this a couple times through summer/fall after it died on me and I stopped driving it daily. I've sat it through the winter as well, same deal. A few weeks wouldn't be a problem for mine at least. I did test crank it every month or so, but didn't drive it.

I'm no expert in the slightest though when it comes to non DD cars and winter.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

It doesn't crank over with the gusto that I want it to, even if the battery is fully charged. I want it to roar to life, not shoved out of bed when starting. lol

^Yea my HF trickle charger that I have never used cost like $2.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi View Post
    Surprisingly my vatozone duralast gold fired up effortlessly everytime leaving it for over a month or two out in the elements. Did this a couple times through summer/fall ...and I stopped driving it daily. I've sat it through the winter as well, same deal. A few weeks wouldn't be a problem for mine at least.
    Second, only months in my case. When my OE battery died not so long ago I picked up the Duralast replacement from Autozone. Hasn't needed a jump yet, and it's fairly well known that my car just sits. And sits. For months. I don't even look at it during this time (except to walk past it to take the garbage out), and I certainly don't start it and let it run for a bit. Fires right up each and every time. I have a trickle charger, but I've used it all of once, and only for a few hours just to make sure it still worked.

As much as I'd love a nice lightweight LiOn or whatever new fancy battery, eh.

I read that the autozone batteries used ti be A
    GM for miata, but are now wet cell - any truth to that?

'Zone batteries have been wet for years......and after having one explode in my trunk Ill not buy one.

O'Reilly has the AGM, and they're cheaper than 'Zone crap.

Not sure when Autozone made the switch (news to me, thanks, Stevan), but mine is an AGM. Trying to remember when I bought it, almost positive it was before I was even in FL, so 4+ years ago?

No problems with my AGM from Autozone. I've had it for several years, my car will sit for a few weeks sometimes, and it cranks up with the gusto of POS Racing at a buffet.

Mmmmmm Buffet!

I have a O'Reilly's battery in my '94 per the recommendation of the Miata Whisperer (AKA. Rogue)

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Mmmmmm Buffet!

I have a O'Reilly's battery in my '94 per the recommendation of the Miata Whisperer (AKA. Rogue)
    +1
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

I'll check out the O'reilly battery tomorrow...
    I think the current battery might already be an O'reilly unit...

We shall see...

+1 for the O'Reilly AGM battery. I think the part number is MIATA so it's easy to ask for by name... :)
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds