Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any dd suspension recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by MoonieGT View Post
    If you want proper: go to 949racing and order Xida Clubsports and their sway bar package. You have a car that does it all. Rides nice and out handles just about everything on the road. FM's offerings are ok, but they're not on par with Xidas. Do it right, do it once. If you compromise your suspension, you will be miserable. Xidas are pricey, but it is the BEST mod you can do to your car (maybe roll bar is close).
    Totally agree with all the above.
    Xidas will be double your budget, but you'd rather wait and save up and get these. I almost went with Vmaxx initially - talked to a gentleman running them at one of the auto-x's I was at; he said they're good for the money but you get what you paid for.

FilthyMonkeyRacing

Quote Originally Posted by maan1986 View Post
    Totally agree with all the above.
    Xidas will be double your budget, but you'd rather wait and save up and get these. I almost went with Vmaxx initially - talked to a gentleman running them at one of the auto-x's I was at; he said they're good for the money but you get what you paid for.
    I certainly hope you get what you are paying for when the lowest Xida is $1900 all the way up to $4400 w/ remote reservoirs! HOLY COILOVERS BATMAN! makes the FCM for $1700 seem like a bargain. WOW! I sound really cheap and thats coming from someone that always say you get what you pay for...guess i know what to expect at least

Quote Originally Posted by FilthyMonkeyRacing View Post
    I certainly hope you get what you are paying for when the lowest Xida is $1900 all the way up to $4400 w/ remote reservoirs! HOLY COILOVERS BATMAN! makes the FCM for $1700 seem like a bargain. WOW! I sound really cheap and thats coming from someone that always say you get what you pay for...guess i know what to expect at least
    FCM and AST don't belong in the same sentence.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Unless you're at the level of skill and competition that .001 of a second will make a difference, then I don't think the mega super duper setup is required.
    I went the "cheap" route with mine @ $1900; they are amazing. The car is ~4-4.25" above ground at the pinch welds IIRC. The way the car keeps its composure over the nastiest of bumps and hardest of turns is a pant-pooping experience.

Another forum member drove my car and pooped himself instantly. He has billensteins on his setup.

Doesn't hurt that the car has a huge RB sway up front, msm in the rear, and was corner balanced at TTW.

FilthyMonkeyRacing

Quote Originally Posted by SirHustlerEsq View Post
    FCM and AST don't belong in the same sentence.
    AST?? Forgive my ignorance....

Default Any dd suspension recommendations?

AST builds the Xidas to 949's specs. So Xidas are custom spec'd AST shocks.
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

FilthyMonkeyRacing

Thank you for the clarification and now that you mention it i do seem to recall reading that on there website...thanks for the edumication good sir!

AST USA's website

I've daily driven cars with everything from OEM shocks and cheap lowering springs to high end custom monotube coilovers, and you really do get what you pay for.

For the most part springs are springs. Some are made better than others, but they aren’t the biggest determinant on ride comfort. You can go with some surprisingly stiff spring rates and still get good ride comfort if you have the right shocks. Shocks – good quality monotube shocks – make all the difference.

I’m not a big fan of Konis. I’ve owned four different sets on four different cars over the years, and had issues with leaking or valving on every set. The only big plus with Koni is their customer service, which is quite good, and their lifetime warranty. I wouldn’t buy used Konis, because in my experience you’ll need that warranty.

My daily driven S2000 has custom AST 5100s with spring rates almost three times the factory rates. It truly is more comfortable than stock, and the big difference is in the shock valving. They were not cheap – in fact, they’re the most expensive shocks I’ve ever owned. But the true ability to go from “comfortable enough my wife will drive the car around town” to track ready is worth the price, at least to me.

As an added bonus, AST USA’s headquarters are right here in Plano, so service, revalving, etc. is local and performed by people involved in the local motorsports community.

My advice is not to skimp on shocks. They make all the difference.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ast+suspension
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by maan1986 View Post
    Unless you're at the level of skill and competition that .001 of a second will make a difference, then I don't think the mega super duper setup is required.
    I went the "cheap" route with mine @ $1900; they are amazing. The car is ~4-4.25" above ground at the pinch welds IIRC. The way the car keeps its composure over the nastiest of bumps and hardest of turns is a pant-pooping experience.

Another forum member drove my car and pooped himself instantly. He has billensteins on his setup.

Doesn't hurt that the car has a huge RB sway up front, msm in the rear, and was corner balanced at TTW.
    What is your setup exactly?

Btw, thanks for your insights Iain.

FilthyMonkeyRacing

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Touche!

BTW is that a forum members white NA w/blue racing stripes and mazdaspeed script on the hood on AST's website in the mazda gallery? Looks familiar...

Yep, that would be jrj512
    2013 Mazda2 slushbox daily
    1993 Miata (future exocet donor)

FilthyMonkeyRacing

i usually dont forget a "face"

Quote Originally Posted by 786 View Post
    What is your setup exactly?

Btw, thanks for your insights Iain.
    Xida Sport Setup - 700Ft/400Rr
    Had the dual springs added - but honestly, at my ride height they are fully compressed.

RB tubular front sway - 1.125" hollow
    14mm msm rear sway
    FM adjustable end links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12