Thread: How You Doing?! from Chad and his 2000 Miata LS

FilthyMonkeyRacing

Smile How You Doing?! from Chad and his 2000 Miata LS

Hello to all in cyber land! My name is Chad and Mr. Blaze told me to check out the forum after i showed interest in his '99 Miata which i would have LOVED to have bought but i was only selling my Bullitt to reduce my debt to get a house this year so i really wasnt looking to spend more then $5k so I found a Classic Red 2000 Miata LS w/ 146k miles (2 previous owners, clean carfax and in Texas all its life and stock except for puch button start if thats even worth mentioning ) for $4250 in Grand Prairie so i jumped on it and due to the miealge i went ahead and picked up a 3 yr/36k mile warranty on it which i have had on my last 3 cars and on the SRT-4 i paid $1400 for the policy and they paid out almost $6k in repairs in less then a year so i came out ahead on that deal. This makes car number 16(i believe) in the last 12.5 yrs, well lets see:

1)- 1972 Chevelle, 2)1994 Honda Accord, 3) 2002 Civic Si, 4)2000 Integra GS-R, 5)2000 Civic Si, 6)1993 Integra GS-R, 7)1999 Integra LS, 8 ) 2001 Jetta GLS, 9)1999 BMW 540i, 10)2004 SRT-4, 11)2005 Acura TSX(still have, its wifey's), 12)1996 Integra LS, 13)1990 CRX w/B16 swap, 14)1992 Civic Si, 15)2001 Mustang Bullitt, 16)2000 Miata LS(just bought). Wow thats ridiculous!

Well im 28 yrs old so i got time to settle down and I think i found it. I LOVE this car! I did TONS of research before buying and really read NO bad reviews to these cars and now i see why. As mentioned above it is stock but as soon as i got home w/ it i ordered Konig Flatout Machined Face 15x8 +25mm offset wheels, 73/54 hubcentric rings(first i ever heard of having to use these), 949 Racing Lug nuts and Hankook Ventus RS-3's in 225/45/15 and will have on week after next. I have lots more plans but funds are limited as with most people but will have another $1600 or so to play with when i get back money from the extended warranty i cancelled on my 2001 Bullitt when i sold it so i havent quite figured out what i am going to do with it. Here is a run down of my wish list/planned upgrades(hopefully time will prove the latter):
    2000 Miata Planned Upgrades- 01-11-13 updated: 01-18-13

Cost: Part:
    Drivetrain:
    $131 Large and small shift boots, transmission seal and gasket kit.
    $62 Energy Suspension Diff. Poly Bushings
    $199 PPF Power Kit
    $225 Goodwin Racing-durometer 70 motormounts
    $895 MX5 Speedsport SL-1 Carbon Clutch(300lbs/tq and rebuildable) and Flywheel COMBO package
    $29.95 SS braided clutch line

Exhaust:
    Goodwin Racing
    $450 Cobalt Header w/egr tube(fits under superchargers)
    $319 RoadsterSport SS midpipe w/cat
    $374 Racing Beat Power Pulse Dual Outlet Muffler

Suspension:
    Flyin Miata
    $949 FM V-Maxx XXtreme Stage 2 Sport package suspension kit-coilovers front:398lbs rear:258lbs,
    sway bars front:1" rear: 5/8"(.625")
    TDR
    $259 Energy Suspension Bushing kit
    $92 Racing Beat sway bar brace kit
    $149 TDR front tower strut brace
    $630 Hard Dog M2 Rollbar w/dble diagnols & padding
    $899 TDR big brake kit drilled/slotted/zinc plated
    Good-win Racing
    $58 Beatrush front lower brace
    $152 Beatrush rear PPF brace
    $248 Miata "frog arm" braces
    $130 Miata frog frame rails

Wheels and Tires:
    $720 Hankook Ventus RS-3 225/45/15 x4---------------------------------------------------------ordered
    $475 Konig Flatout 25mm machined 12.4lbsx4--------------------------------------------------ordered
    $100 ARP front and rear wheel studs
    $60 949 Racing silver lug nutsx16----------------------------------------------------------------ordered
    $18 Hubcnetric 73/54 ring set-----------------------------------------------------------------------ordered

Exterior:
    Rev9 Autosport
    $370 Garage Vary front lip
    $200 Garage Vary eyelids
    GoMiata
    $110 Mazda chrome fuel door
    $190 TogueRun ducktail spoiler
    HID online store
    $125 HID 8k 50w bixenon kit

I think next i might do Hard Dog Roll bar, Roadstersport Midpipe and Racing Beat Power Pulse Dual Outlet exhaust but i was also considering lowering it first...decisions,decisions. I would also LOVE to boost it and have really been looking into a rotrex supercharger but that is a lofty investment that i have no idea when the funds would arise so for now i will enjoy driving my street leagal go-kart!

Last edited by FilthyMonkeyRacing; 01-30-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Quite an ambitious list.

Question: why buy a car and then spend many thousands of dollars on this list when you declined to buy a fully-built car for less $$?

Not criticizing (its your money), but curious as to the reasoning.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

FilthyMonkeyRacing

Quote Originally Posted by FilthyMonkeyRacing View Post
    reduce my debt to get a house this year so i really wasnt looking to spend more then $5k
    anymore questions Please dont make me regret my decision I wanted/needed to reduce my debt to income ratio so thus the decision but i agree Mr. Blaze's vehicle was the better value/buy but not for my reasoning and current situation. When i upgrade it will be cash on hand so no credit purchases. Plus i actually plan on keeping this one(ive said that before,no really i mean it this time!) and although in a purely dollar fo dollar scenerio i would have been ahead w/ his '99 but half the fun of having a car is putting your own two hands on it and seeing the outcome...well thats my story and im sticking to it.

Ambitious? Absolutely and i wouldnt have it any other way. If your going to aim high why not aim for the moon so at least if you fail you will fall among stars... Well it sounds good at least. It will no doubt take years to check those off the old wish list but i like to have a plan from the get go.
    Last edited by FilthyMonkeyRacing; 01-19-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Driver

welcome to the madness!
    JDSM, creating innovative products and ideas to increase your Miata's performance since 2014. GO ZOOM ZOOM!

15 cars in 12.5 yrs! Wow
    I'm on 7 in 19yrs, and still own #6 (MINI) and #7 (Miata)

For the record its
    72 Gremlin, 78 Plymouth Fury, 84 Camaro, 93 Eagle Talon, 98 Mustang Cobra, 07 MINI Cooper S, and 01 Miata SE.

I'll be interested in hearing your rollbar and suspension selection and experience. For suspension, I'm debating FM vs Fat Cat.
    2001 BRG Miata SE and 2007 MINI Cooper S

FilthyMonkeyRacing

Well having that many cars unless you are well off or wealthy is nothing to brag about and i personally consider myself foolish and always have some sort of justification for selling the current car but those days are over since i have already wasted half the cost of a nice home on cars i have nothing to show for and altough i cherished them all for there own reasons i really think this is my favorite. Who can argue that a car with 50/50 weight distribution, IRS, factory LSD, decent power to weight ratio, great gas mileage,dependable, huge after market support and most importantly...RWD! For as many FWD cars i've had i actually have a great distain for FWD but for all the reasons i loved Honda's the miata has plus some...so im sold!

Like i said that list is a guideline and not a blueprint but i did a fair amount of research to establish said list and will try not to deviate and the only change i made fairly quickly is who I was to buy most the parts from and originally that was Track Dog Racing given there close proximity(140+ miles) compared to others and there good reputation but when i saw how much i would save in taxes by going with an out of state supplier i quickly changed my mind but if i go forced induction and supercharger then i will more then likely go with TDR since i would rely on them for tuning and technical support/trouble shooting if ever the need arises.

As far as suspension I was going to go with TDR supplied Yellow Speed coilovers after doing a good amount of research but after seeing i would save over $200+ by going with FM Stage 2 coilover package, that includes FM sway bars and would save $150+ over buying them seperately, vs buying the Yellow Speed coilovers and Racing Beat swaybars i then changed my mind but that is subject to change. The roll bar i have chosen i will more then likely not change but not sure when i will get it. When i get the $1600 back on my extended warranty from my Bullitt i was going to do strictly suspension mods but now im leaning towards a combination of power/suspension,namely a Racing Beat Power Pulse dual outlet exhaust, Roadstersport catted midpipe, air intake(undecided but leaning towards K & N or AEM), suspension bushings and maybe rollbar or chasis braces. Any feedback on such mods would be appreciated since i have gone back and forth.

The exhaust i want something deep and throaty(as possible for a 4 cylinder) but not too intrusive or droany and w/o the raspiness that small displacement motors are known for although in my experience the culprit of such raspiness is usually the lack of a proper resonator. I was orginally thinking Magnaflow or Borla and was leaning towards Magnaflow but after listening to sound clips on the Racing Beat and others, and seeing the price difference, im now thinking the RB will suit me, so let me know if any of yall of had these personally or rode in a miata with them and your opinion. Thanks for any input and your hospitality to the forum!
    Last edited by FilthyMonkeyRacing; 01-20-2013 at 09:46 PM.

Borla single exit exhaust sounds really nice and is very light, which matters a lot on a Miata. Keep that in mind especially on wheels and tires. What is your plan for the car, other than street driving? If you aren't looking to track it or compete in autox, then those suspensions are overkill. A nice set of vmaxx or Koni Sports is plenty good for most uses, and street able. best advice? Get the motor, tranny, electrics and bushings into the best mechanical condition you possibly can. Fix the rear main seal and CAS o ring that are almost certainly leaking, enjoy.
    Polished Turd Racing

FilthyMonkeyRacing

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Borla single exit exhaust sounds really nice and is very light, which matters a lot on a Miata. Keep that in mind especially on wheels and tires.
    Already ordered Koing Flatout Machined Face(12.4lbs) 15x8 +25mm offset w/ Hankook Ventus RS-3's in 225/45/15

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    What is your plan for the car, other than street driving? If you aren't looking to track it or compete in autox, then those suspensions are overkill. A nice set of vmaxx or Koni Sports is plenty good for most uses, and street able.
    It will be a daily but since they have the track in Austin i'd like to make some trips there. I was looking at the koni adj's and lowering springs but once you buythose and good bump stomps and boots i would end up spending just as much as the coilovers so thats the only reason i figured on coilovers plus the obvious ability to lower/raise ride height.

General maintenance will also be getting done this month to include: running Seafoam thru the gas tank and crank case then oil change, replace fuel filter and replace valve cover gasket since it is leaking in the rear driverside and will replace CAS o ring at the same time. Will check plugs to see there condition and change if need be with some NGK iridium's(my fav) and it looks like the plug wires have been replaced with factory NGK wires but will more than likely replace w/ plugs.

Sounds like quite the build. I bought mine stock as well. I think sometimes the fun is in putting the car together yourself rather than buying one already done.

Quote Originally Posted by FilthyMonkeyRacing View Post
    It will be a daily but since they have the track in Austin i'd like to make some trips there. I was looking at the koni adj's and lowering springs but once you buythose and good bump stomps and boots i would end up spending just as much as the coilovers so thats the only reason i figured on coilovers plus the obvious ability to lower/raise ride height.
    You could always get coilover sleeves for the Koni's. That's what I did, and you can choose your own spring rate plus you get ride height adjustment.
    Last edited by rmonheim; 01-22-2013 at 12:22 AM.
    Now Miata-less. '05 STR S2000.
    Texas A&M Grassroots and Formula SAE Driver

FilthyMonkeyRacing

rmonheim i noticed you are running Hankook Ventus RS-3's in 225/45/15 and was wondering how much you daily drive it and how they do in the rain, since i ordered them and read lots of reviews and i know they are not the most capable in the rain compared to Toyo R1R's(wanted those just a little more then i wanted to spend) or the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs(coudlnt find any the 205/50/15 aavailable just 195's) but the Hankooks are still suppose to be pretty good in wet weather which is my only concern. Your input is much appreciated!

I actually haven't had them long, only a month or so. I daily drive the car. The few times I've driven them in the rain (and it was near freezing as well) they had plenty of grip, It wasn't scary or anything. I've yet to autocross them, but I know they'll be an improvement. Before my current set up I had Star Specs on my stock wheels. They were a little better in the rain, but they didn't do so well autocrossing over the summer, as they tended to overheat (hence the change to the hankooks). As long as you stay out of snow (like we get any lol) and are careful in the rain, you should be fine DD'ing the RS3.
    Now Miata-less. '05 STR S2000.
    Texas A&M Grassroots and Formula SAE Driver

None of those tires are particularly good in cold or wet conditions when compared to even cheap-o all seasons, but all are fine for general DD use, if you don't mind a harsher ride. Definitely be prepared for some squirrel action hydroplaning on the highway if the rain gets heavy. Even the manufacturers don't recommended using them in freezing temps.
    Polished Turd Racing

FilthyMonkeyRacing

Got my fenders rolled today in preparation for my wheel/tires being installed tomorrow. Will post pics but they might be kinda since they will more then likey be with a cell phone seeing how im one of the few people that still dont have a digital camera

When you get tired of those engine mounts, I'll buy them off you.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

FilthyMonkeyRacing

Quote Originally Posted by SirHustlerEsq View Post
    When you get tired of those engine mounts, I'll buy them off you.
    Wont ever happen...i love urethane motor mounts. Had them on my SRT-4(i THINK i even went with 88 durometer)...i LOVE the way they make the car shake..even my wife tolerated it..reminds me of my chevelle..minus the awesome v8 sound

FilthyMonkeyRacing

Got wheels/tires installed and love em...tires are AWESOME..no tire spin just hooks up and goes. Now i have to lower...looks like a 4x4

Center caps where just black so i picked up some aluminum roadster "decals" for center caps. Cant believe how light the 949 racing lug nuts are(24 grams each! paper weights are heavier)..gotta love forged aluminum. I also never knew Konig's where made by Rays. I now see why extended wheel studs are required for racing...there are not to many threads in that lug nut.

FilthyMonkeyRacing

No opinions...thats odd