Thread: Most interesting car you've driven (personally)

Default Most interesting car you've driven (personally)

I was going through a bunch of old photos recently, and found these pics I realized I never posted anywhere. They're too cool not to share.

Oddly enough I haven't driven more than a handfull of normal cars, much less anything interesting, but this one is more than interesting...

1930 Ford Model A truck

This is my uncle's truck. The story is he's good friends with the owner of his company, guy owned two of them, this one was in pieces in his shop, but all there, mostly original, good shape. He lives way out in the sticks so as a project my uncle offered to put it together and get it running for his boss. He started driving it in a few of the town parades with company logo on it. He's worked at the company for like 25 years so one day the owner pulled him in the office and handed him the keys as a lifetime company bonus.

Couple years later lightning struck my uncles house and the inside completely burned before the firemen could make it out to his property. Everything was a loss, except the garage where this beauty sat unscathed under a cover. Anyway I was out there this summer helping him clean out the wreckage and rebuild, hang some walls & such. He tossed me the keys and let me take it for a spin.

Damn man this thing was difficult to drive. For starters, i'm not a small guy, but even if I was 5'5" I would still have a hard time fitting in this thing. I had to put my rt leg on the other side of the shifter and contort that leg back over to the accelerator...button.

Manual brakes felt like a block of wood on the back of the wheel of a homemade box car. They were terrible. Shifting these things must have been a borne talent, for me it was...impossible. I drove it to the end of his property, then turned around and came back. I was too scared I was going to run it into a ditch or a tree, steering was as wierd as everything else. He apparently drives it into town every now & then...somehow.

That block or two was still the coolest time i've ever had driving. It's truely amazing how much technology has come in the last 70 years.
    Last edited by Jiggerachi; 01-26-2013 at 06:37 AM.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Does it have to be a "car"?

On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

While I've driven 100s of cars including bone stock Model Ts, '32 Ford highboys, land speed racing cars, a Pantera, a Ferrari 360 CS, rare VWs and Porsche 356s and more, the most FUN car I've driven was my Lotus 7 and my ex Lotus Europa.

^ That Seven looks awesome! Wow, both those cars are dreams of mine. I need to get out of school pronto, my life is boring.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Brand new Nascar COT. Not this specific one but you get the idea. No restrictor plate so around 800hp and on bias ply tires:

Qvale Mangusta.

I desperately want a Lotus 7 replica!
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

I have driven several exotics as and instructor. I drove Classic BMWs Grand Am Z4. But nothing old. It would be fun to drive something from the early days.

Also non-car M1A1 Abrams Main Battle Tank and the M109 Howitzer.
    Last edited by ken o; 01-27-2013 at 06:52 AM.
    M3 is always the answer.

Default Most interesting car you've driven (personally)

I once drove my wife crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Daily, I drive my wife crazy.
    Fixed it.
    M3 is always the answer.

An armor plated Jeep Wagoneer and a Delorean..........both turds (even with turbos...)

1949.5 willy's Jeepster. It drives pretty much like the Ford Truck listed above. I took it from Wylie to cars & coffee last november.

1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

So, this salty old sailor walks into a bar with a ship's steering wheel where you'd normally find a belt buckle...

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Please stop with the partially told jokes...... it drives me nuts!
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Like Ken, instructing gives me the chance to drive some fun modern cars now and then. Ferraris, Porsches, etc. I had the opportunity to instruct at the North American launch for the Aston Martin V12 Vantage at MSR a couple of years ago, and drove everything in their lineup that day.

Driving goofygrin's vintage 930 Turbo back from California was a lot of fun. But other than that, I haven't driven many old cars.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

The most interesting was a Honda 600 similar to this one pictured. A good friend in college station used to daily drive and autocross it.

Most interesting Non car would be the gamma goat we used to have at the bombing range. The thing was indestructable, ran on junk fuel, and always started with after a jump, evena after being abandoned for salvage for many years.
    Last edited by Webspoke; 01-28-2013 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Remembered more stuff

Moonraker:

TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi View Post
    1930 Ford Model A truck

Very nice...I'm a big fan of old pickups.

This one probably gave me the biggest grin... the owner's lucky I didn't leave a wet spot on the seat.

'94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

For me it was the Pantera. I was young and remember climbing down into it and feeling like my butt was dragging the ground. that, and the pulsing/screaming sounds of the Ford on my neck/back was distracting and exciting. Very cool.

Non car, I did get to back-seat drive my nephew's Blackhawk. Also very cool.

I have driven a couple tt Vipers, 1000hp supras are definetly fun. Lotus Elise with turbo was nice but way too rough for street. I still am wanting to drive a Noble M400 or Rossion Q1. Has anybody driven either?