Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Temp Brake Fluid?

strathound

Default High Temp Brake Fluid?

I'm going to be driving out at ECR this weekend and I didn't get around to ordering the brake fluid and pads from Track Dog or one of the other sites. Anyone know if any of the local auto shops sell the good brake fluid? I won't be able to get the pads done, but I'll take it easy this first time and not push the braking too hard. But if I can get some better brake fluid in there, I think that will be a good step to take.

Thoughts?

Michael

I think MotoLiberty sells RBF600/660.

Also

Cycle Gear Powersports is a dealer for Motul

2301 N. Central Expwy Space 182 Plano TX 75075
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

strathound

This one has a high dry boiling point of 480F:

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/256638/

This one is 500F:

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9208151/

And this one goes to 600F:

http://trackdogracing.com/motul600brakefluid.aspx

Maxim Honda in Allen sells Motul RBF600. So does Vorshlag, I think.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

strathound

Awesome, thanks guys.

If you've got a 90-93 car, I can probably hook you up on brakes. If you've got one of them fancy big motor cars, I'm no help. :)

2 sets of DTC-60 fronts and a set of DTC-30 rears sitting on the shelf. You'd want to pick up some new rotors - I was using Centric rotors from Napa.

I can check the stacks if the 60's and 30's are more than what you need. I think i have most of a set of DTC-30 fronts and HP+ rears with rotors and everything bedded in.

Holla via PM if interested.

We're in Dallas at Plano Road and Forrest. Not to far. I have all of it in stock. We'll even through in some Motul stickers!
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    We're in Dallas at Plano Road and Forrest. Not to far. I have all of it in stock. We'll even through in some Motul stickers!

I need to pick up some pads too, perhaps I'll give you guys a call tomorrow as well.

strathound

That's just down the road from me. Can I come by in the morning / 8:30am?

Michael

You can. Debra will be here and she should be able to help you out. I usually don't get here till 9am.
    ...and across the line.

strathound

You can. Debra will be here and she should be able to help you out. I usually don't get here till 9am.
    Ok, I haven't decided on which pads to get. I do mostly street driving with an occasional track day or autox. I don't think I need the 60's. Would you recommend the 30s, the blues or the blacks? I have a 2012 NC Miata PHRT. Just let me know what you recommend and I'll pick those up in the morning.

Michael

Default High Temp Brake Fluid?

Cobb Tuning in plano also carries motul
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

The second link you posted is a silicon based DOT 5 that isn't compatible with your brake system. Stick with DOT 3/4 fluid. The Motul is great stuff.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Michael, you don't need or want track pads. They are noisy and messy and need heat to work well. If you are getting some, plan to pick up spare rotors and swap them for track days. Hawk HPS or a more modern equivalent would be more than suitable for your needs. I've run at ECR with OEM Mazda pads and Motul 600 fluid with no fade, and managed to turn 2:10 on street tires.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

OZMDD knows his NC stuff. I was going to say HP Plus is the most popular option for the NA/NB owners but the NC has over-boosted brakes so the HPS may work well. We have both in stock. DTC30 and DTC60 are over kill for the street and really only for driver's who are harder on the brakes at the track. Blues and Blacks are old school and the DTC line is vastly superior.
    ...and across the line.

+1 for Hawk Streets

DTC 30 not offered for NC. Blues and HT-10 (rears only) kills rotors and along with the 60s are overkill for street use, but this is coming from a guy that street drives 60s year round because they are quieter than hp+ lol

strathound

Track Dog Racing to the RESCUE!!!

Untitled by Michael Schaefer, on Flickr

I want to publicly say a big THANK YOU to Debra and Will for being there this morning and helping me get this done and done right. I now feel like, at the very least, my car will be safe out on the track tomorrow as far as brakes are concerned. I went with the HP+ pads. They are a little squeaky, but I have my originals if I want to swap them out for daily driving. Thanks to everyone for the tips. And a big big thanks to Track Dog Racing.

Michael

HP+ are good pads. If you do swap them, you need to re-bed the pads each time.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

You're gonna love the HP+ pads - great feel, great bite, little to no fade. But be aware that they squeak and produce a fair amount of dust. But IMO they're worth it.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast