Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4/24/05 autox - PCA at Mineral Wells or SCCA at Pennington?

Yeah, electrical problems did raise their ugly head during third heat, accompanied by other issues in the trailer...I won't mention the word I want to use, but suffice to say there were a couple of folks who will be eliminated from future trailer assignments.
    Matt Lucas did a fine job with the course, although some cars, like our Civic, was caught off the powerband in a couple of areas. It was different, and a bit tighter in sweepers than usual. Course time was longer as a result of the larger than normal loop, and the inability to put a lot of sustained power to the ground from the start. Matt chaired both events for the weekend and did a super job in my opinion. Thanks to those who came and took the school, as well as those who instructed. We have identified the culprits that created the confusion and down-time and will have it fixed before the TMS event next month. Don't forget to enter early as this event will have a 200 driver cap. Expect to get 4 runs for this event also... I will do everything in my power to assure that happens...
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

Quote Originally Posted by OzCop
    Expect to get 4 runs for this event also... I will do everything in my power to assure that happens...
    Good enough for me! I'm signed up!

my daughter and i went out on sunday to watch but all we saw were the carts then the superstock i think, talked to jon barkley and general default a little bit
    it was interesting and now i know why all the miata's in the parking lot were empty is cause yall all seemed to be working the event lol
    anyways hope to get out there again and maybe say hi to a few more people

Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    I ran heat three... And yet again realized why I get so annoyed with Mod cars.. I think some of them had THREE drivers.

Overall it was not a bad day. It was longer than some events, but at least this time we got 4 runs! No *major* delays.. a few timing hiccups, but none that I saw lasted very long.

The school on Saturday was a great experience.. I want to thank General Default for all the pointers he gave me on Saturday. It made a big difference on Sunday, especially on that 1st slalom.

I think my best run of the day was a 52.8 and I *think* that was actually a clean one... Oh, and shifting sucks. that whole course everytime I faced West I hit the rev limiter in 2nd and had to shift!
    I think the results might have been screwed up for a few of the heats. This is what Matt said during the trophy presentation. He more or less mentioned that only the results of heat 2 gave him confidence.
    In fact, they had you down as a low 50 second for your first run. I think you mentioned having about a 53.5 for your first time out, so I don't know if they had computer issues. Your last three runs seemed to be valid results, as did all four of my runs.
    It was a long day, but I had a really good time. It was a great course for Miatae and MR2s, nice and tight.
    The Saturday school was also very helpful to me. I noticed some considerable improvements in my runs by following the advice of my instructors - J. Stewart and K. Baker. Thanks guys. :)

I just looked at the results...man I suck at driving this thing

Whoa, I definately need new shocks...

Woohoo look at all that body roll

Heh.. I have a turbo and I still got whomped by some of the CS guys!

lean is cool!

Yes third heat sucked and I was in the trailer. But NOT the one screwing up. The finish timing light kept going off when no one was crossing it. And the guy next to me on the computer did not know what the hell he was doing. VERY Frustrating!!!
    Why would they put someone on the computer who has never done it before?

The first delays started because of him... and then there was the timing lights. I was writing the times down while reseting the finish lights sometimes 3 times before a car went through the finish lights.
    Anyway I hope that coment about the people in the trailer was not about me.

Other than that I had a great day. Came in 8th in tire class...:grin: not bad for my second time out in the Miata.
    Last edited by jolberry; 04-27-2005 at 09:51 AM.
    No more Miata

Quote Originally Posted by jolberry
    Yes third heat sucked
    The computer operator did have experience using the computer. But with so many issues, noise, and getting off a line due to missing a car it can be a mess to get correct when the timer keep messing up. It was a good example of when things go bad and you can't stop the train.

First we checked the aiming on the light. It was dead center on the small reflector. But what was happing was the reflector was sending light back above the head. With the head flexing in the wind the border line signal was unpredictable. A quarter and a penny wedge fixed it plus changing the signal cord just for good luck.

jolberry did a great time pushing the reset button on the timer. At one point you could not push the button fast enough to keep up with the false triggers.

I was told the club did not have another head on site. If this is the case the club needs a backup timing head.

Just a little clarification, since I was mentioned in this thread. Not directly, but still...

Yes, we have 3 drivers in our Mod car. We'll have 3 at most every event. At both ER and SCCA events. It's not unusual to have 3 drivers at the local events, and not just in the Mod cars.

We spread out our runs as best as we can but with all of your runs in one heat, it makes it hard. That is why we have finished our runs in the next heat at both of the events this year and at most of them last year, especially when 4 runs were given. At this event we each took 3 runs in the 3rd heat. With our last runs in the 4th heat.

This event and the timing issues didn't help. I got 1 rerun and I know a few other Mod drivers got 1 or 2 reruns because of the problems. And because they are Mod cars, it is just more visible. I know there were reruns on the door slammers also.

Later,

SpinOutF500

i think i got 7th in street tire, i plan on entering the tms race on the 15th as well.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13
    i think i got 7th in street tire, i plan on entering the tms race on the 15th as well.
    There is going to be a cap on that event so if you want in you need to register soon.

More information about the event = http://forums.dfwmiata.com/showthread.php?t=2585

oh im already in, thanks though. And thanks to all the miata guys at the last race for being so cool.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Not to worry Jolberry, nothing personal meant towards anyone in the trailer. It can get heated in there in a hurry if someone gets behind or an entry is out of order. If you were in there, you probably have a good idea to whom the comment referred... The General is right though, constant interuptions with equipment malfunctions can do more to disrupt the event than the folks working in the trailer...
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123