Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Equipe Rapide 2014 Rules

Default Equipe Rapide 2014 Rules

I checked the ER website and saw that the rules have been updated for 2014. Can someone chime in with a summary of the changes?
    Brad McCann
    GS Genesis Coupe
    Korean Camaro Racing

You have been banned. That's about it.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Some changes. Tire class utqg changed to 180.
    Woman Rapide pax changed.

Street Tire Class:
    1. Street Tire class is intended for entrants with cars having non “R” compound tires. Entrants are not required to be
    in this class if they do not have “R” compound tires on their vehicles. The Street Tire class is available to any car
    on street tires.
    2. Street Tire class drivers run times will be multiplied by an index factor based on their published RTP PAX index.
    Final placing will be determined using these factored times. The index factor will be defined by the current
    Challenge Cup Rules & Regulations, as defined by Article 1.
    3. As an aid to scoring, Street Tire class drivers must add a letter "T" prefix in front of their car's class on the event
    registration card and on both sides of the car itself. For example: TAS, TCSP, TDM, etc.
    4. Street Tire classing prefix will not apply to the Novice, Karting classes, and Street Touring (ST, STS, STR, STX,
    etc...), or the R.P.C. series.
    5. Tires must be D.O.T. approved and must comply with Article 3, Section F, item 5.
    6. Tires considered as street tires must have a UTQG tread wear rating of 180 or higher.
    7. Tire class entrants may change wheel diameter by 1" but width and offset must comply with open class rules. 8. Trophies for tire class entrants are awarded based on Article 7.

Street Tire Class:
    1. Street Tire class is intended for entrants with cars having non “R” compound tires. Entrants are not required to be in
    this class if they do not have “R” compound tires on their vehicles. The Street Tire class offers an alternative to the
    regular classes in which they might not be as competitive without an “R” compound tire.
    2. StreetTireclassdriversruntimeswillbemultipliedbyan indexfactorbasedontheircarsappropriateregularcar
    class. Final placing will be determined using these factored times. The index factor will be defined by the current
    Challenge Cup Rules & Regulations, as defined by Article 1.
    3. Asanaidtoscoring,StreetTireclassdriversmustaddalet ter"T"prefixinfrontoftheircar'sclassontheevent
    registration card and on both sides of the car itself. For example: TAS, TCSP, TDM, etc.
    4. StreetTireclassingprefixwillnotapplytotheNovice,Ka rtingclasses,andStreetTouring(ST,STS,STR,STX,
    etc...), or the R.P.C. series.
    5. TiresmustbeD.O.T.approvedandmustcomplywithArticle3 ,SectionF,item5.
    6. TiresconsideredasstreettiresmusthaveaUTQGtreadwear ratingof140orhigher.
    7. Tire class entrants may change wheel diameter by 1" but width and offset must comply with open class rules.

B. The R.P.C. will be divided into 2 separate classes. Open R.P.C. and Women’s R.P.C. Open class R.P.C. is open to all eligible entrants. The Women’s R.P.C. is only open to eligible female drivers. If there are not the minimum number of women competing in women's R.P.C. for awards then they will automatically be placed in the Open R.P.C. class.

B. The R.P.C. will be divided into 2 separate classes. Open R.P.C. and Women’s R.P.C. Open class R.P.C. is open to all eligible entrants. The Women’s R.P.C. is only open to eligible female drivers.

So tire class is sticking around AND our pax will be (sort of) correct? Sweet.

Will the placement money still be given out?
    Brad McCann
    GS Genesis Coupe
    Korean Camaro Racing

Did not see any "T" tire payout. My guess this is a transitional year to Street classes
    which is an unknown and they don't want to hurt the progression to that concept.

The Texas SCCA is still discussing what to do with "T" class. There were some ideas but not much agreement.

I'm not certain whether there will still be a Tire payout in addition to the Rapid Pax, so will need to discuss that with Andy and report back. Otherwise, minimal changes to keep the system aligned with RTP PAX, and to address the issue of paying out max money to only 2 or 3 W entrants. We want to welcome and reward female drivers, but keep it fair as well. Even some of the ladies thought it was odd that just being female could win you money.
    Polished Turd Racing

If we use the new Street pax (somewhat messed up, Rick did a number on the street classes) then T class should not pay out. They started paying out in T class because we really didn’t have a fair chance in PAX. We still don’t, but now we have official PAX numbers. Even if I don’t agree with them, it’s the hand we were given.

I am not sure I see the point to Tire class now that Street is going to street tires.

Edit

I should add A street got the numbers I was expecting, tough but not crazy. But some of the others are pretty strange when compared to some of the other classes.

Good points, Robert. STF is a bit less attractive than it was last year. Maybe I won't save up for a Mini...
    Polished Turd Racing

No separate tire class payout. Instead, tire class cars have their own PAX numbers which are supposed to make them competitive with the other cars in Rapide PAX.

We we still have an indexed tire class for anyone who wants to join. It is the same as a novice or expert indexed classes. You are welcome to run in open class if you want.

Ladies need 5 entries to be eligible for ladies Rapide PAX. We frequently have 5 ladies. Bring your wives or girlfriends but not both at the same time.
    Andy Cost
    Humble Servant - Equipe Rapide

There's been talk on other forums about regions adopting their own street index instead of using RR's somewhat harsh numbers. Has ER thought about that?
    Brad McCann
    GS Genesis Coupe
    Korean Camaro Racing

How would we determine the numbers? Has someone put out more realistic numbers? I have my ideas of what they should be, but that is really not based on much, other than what I read on the internet of what difference a few people saw when testing R-comps VS. Street tires.

I would be worried about opening a can of worms that in the end would make nobody happy.

If I was going to come up with new numbers I would just subtract .012 from all of the Street Classes, and we end up with numbers that are in the ballpark, but may be a little soft for SS and AS. Of course that is just me pulling numbers out of the air on what I think they should be.

I was thinking a blanket .98 across the board from the published 2014 stock numbers. But that blanket may be totally off-base.
    Brad McCann
    GS Genesis Coupe
    Korean Camaro Racing

Quote Originally Posted by BMcCann View Post
    There's been talk on other forums about regions adopting their own street index instead of using RR's somewhat harsh numbers. Has ER thought about that?
    Wait a Minute ... there are "Other" forums?

The problem with doing the .98 from 2014 Stock classes is the classes are not the same cars. A lot of cars got moved around for the new Street classes. In Stock the C5 Z06 and C6 Corvettes are in S Stock, they move to A Street.

I feel there is a conflict of interest if I were to start generating numbers since I run in Tire class. Robert and Brad both won cash in Rapide PAX on street tires last season. I don't think they need much more adjustment in their times. I don't think I've met anyone that actually likes their PAX number regardless of class. We will just suffer through a year with somewhat questionable indexes in the street class and see what happens. My bet is that street tire cars consistently place in the top 5 in Rapide PAX.
    Andy Cost
    Humble Servant - Equipe Rapide

Agreed. There were a fair number of drivers who managed to win both tire and pax money, so the numbers can't be too far off.
    Polished Turd Racing

Fair enough. Others and myself shouldn't forget that 2014 is going to be a clusterf*ck for street anyways.
    Brad McCann
    GS Genesis Coupe
    Korean Camaro Racing

I Class! Everyone wins!

That's where SCCA classing has been headed ever since I started playing in this sport. Next year will be no different...
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I think it’s the right decision to not try and modify the PAX. No way everyone would be happy no matter what numbers we came up with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast