Thread: Looking to cut the cord...

Default Looking to cut the cord...

I'm looking to ditch Charter cable within the next couple of months. Planning to use netflix and/or Hulu, and for live content either Aereo or a digital antenna. My only holdup is that we are a huge sports family and watch a lot of espn/fox sports/fox southwest/etc which don't appear to be available online (or at least without a cable service subscription). Anyone have any tips or suggestions for how to get those channels?
    90 Red NA
    91 Red NA
    99 Triple Black NB "Dimples"

We cut the cord 4 or 5 years ago and havn't looked back. It does suck that we don't have the sports networks. However, we have internet through ATT Uverse. Because of that, we have access to watchespn.com. That will get you access to some ESPN content, though not the primary channel. If you're a huge sports family, you may have some problems... If you have a second residence with cable, you can slingbox...
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

We are big sports fans too, and the unfortunate answer is that you won't get most sports broadcasts once you cut the cord. We have been surprised at how little we missed them after the first few months. There is still decent free content, but not the "watch anything" availability of cable/sat. We go out for dinner or drinks to a place with TVs when we really want to see a specific game, or go to a friends house when invited.

I find that spending more time on dfwmiata.com is really just as satisfying...
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Thanks for the info. I finally got a chance to do a little more research. Because I have Charter as my ISP I also get access to watchespn.com. For whatever reason I seem to get most of the ESPN channels, including the primary channel (Maybe access to the primary channel will be disabled after I disconnect my cable service?). video quality isn't quite as sharp as my 1080 HD cable but it's not bad and definitely acceptable for free. As soon as the college bowl season is over I'll be looking to cut cable service.
    90 Red NA
    91 Red NA

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

^All of Charter cable is now digital. If you don't have the receiver, I don't think you'll get any channels, but I'm not 100% sure.

You won't get any ESPN channels. Same with other streaming versions of paid channels (I can't use the fox channel on Roku because I don't have any paid TV services).
    Polished Turd Racing

What are you paying now? I regularly call and try to cancel my AT&T U-Verse. Couple months back I finally got TV and Internet locked in for under $100.00 a month for a year.

30Mb/s Internet+Phone+Cable = $200 mo. I think it breaks down something like $55 Internet, $25 Phone and $120 cable (no premium channels except some extra sports channels, I think it's a $10 adder). Yeah, I used to call charter once a year and threaten to leave and they'd give me an acceptable rate. I've called a couple of times in the last 6 months and they won't budge. the last cust rep actually told me to cancel my service and then restart new service in 6 months so I can get the cheap new account rates. I asked her to lookup and tell me how long I had been a charter customer (something like 15 yrs). I asked her if I switch to another provider what makes her think I'd be switching back in 6 mo? If Verizon Fios or Uverse were an option I'd at least switch and try those out but they're not available (I think North Richland Hills has some kind of unholy alliance with Charter).

First I'm looking to drop the Cable and then I'll drop the phone soon also, so bill will drop about $145 mo overall. I like cable but not at that rate and I think I'll be fine with the new setup. If not, maybe they'll decide I'm serious and offer me a better rate in a few months to sign back up.

BTW, woot.com has refurbed ROKU 3's on sale today for $64.99. Mine should be here in a few days.
    90 Red NA
    91 Red NA

Oomo phone service rocks. $3.47/mo for me, unlimited local and long-distance. You can pay to keep your #, or just get a fresh one.
    Polished Turd Racing

Chassis Designer

Quote Originally Posted by Keifersmith View Post
    30Mb/s Internet+Phone+Cable = $200 mo. I think it breaks down something like $55 Internet, $25 Phone and $120 cable (no premium channels except some extra sports channels, I think it's a $10 adder). Yeah, I used to call charter once a year and threaten to leave and they'd give me an acceptable rate. I've called a couple of times in the last 6 months and they won't budge. the last cust rep actually told me to cancel my service and then restart new service in 6 months so I can get the cheap new account rates. I asked her to lookup and tell me how long I had been a charter customer (something like 15 yrs). I asked her if I switch to another provider what makes her think I'd be switching back in 6 mo? If Verizon Fios or Uverse were an option I'd at least switch and try those out but they're not available (I think North Richland Hills has some kind of unholy alliance with Charter).

First I'm looking to drop the Cable and then I'll drop the phone soon also, so bill will drop about $145 mo overall. I like cable but not at that rate and I think I'll be fine with the new setup. If not, maybe they'll decide I'm serious and offer me a better rate in a few months to sign back up.

BTW, woot.com has refurbed ROKU 3's on sale today for $64.99. Mine should be here in a few days.
    Have you checked recently? I'm in NRH and have had Uverse for a couple years.

Be careful, ATT has switched to calling all of their internet services Uverse, even the older DSL stuff. They just renamed it all and have different tiers. What you want is the fiber optic Uverse. DSL is tyically limited to 6mbps.
    Polished Turd Racing

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Oomo phone service rocks. $3.47/mo for me, unlimited local and long-distance. You can pay to keep your #, or just get a fresh one.
    +1 for Ooma...switched over a year ago and haven't looked back. I have zero AT&T in my life!

Google Voice = Free home phone!

http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html

Winning!

I like the hardware angle of ooma, and the 911 address setup. Not sure if GV gives that functionality.
    Polished Turd Racing

You won't get any ESPN channels. Same with other streaming versions of paid channels (I can't use the fox channel on Roku because I don't have any paid TV services).
    The charter support page claims I have free watchespn.com access with just ISP service. I guess I'll find out for sure when I actually shut off cable service. I can probably live without it during basketball season, not a huge NBA fan...

Thanks, I was eyeing Oomo and keeping my old number. Probably should give up the landline altogether but have had that # for almost 24 years and not quite sure I'm ready to part with it yet. everything under the son is referenced by that #.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim m View Post
    Have you checked recently? I'm in NRH and have had Uverse for a couple years.
    Just checked a couple of months ago. Funny thing is they keep sending me snail mail letters specifically to my name/address saying it's available. I call them and they tell me it's not available for my address???? If they know it's not available for my address why would they specifically send me mail saying it was (seems easy enough to cross-check) Just another reason I haven't had any dealings with AT&T in years... You're right though, I think it is available at my in-laws on the far north side of NRH near N. Tarrant Pkwy and Davis.

Be careful, ATT has switched to calling all of their internet services Uverse, even the older DSL stuff. They just renamed it all and have different tiers. What you want is the fiber optic Uverse. DSL is tyically limited to 6mbps.
    Good to know... unless I can get equivalent bandwidth I don't plan on giving up Charter internet in the near future. I'll drop them in a heartbeat if Verizon Fios is ever available.
    90 Red NA
    91 Red NA