Thread: Td05 needs rebuilt

Default Td05 needs rebuilt

Anyone know where I can get this done?
    '94 Miata "M Edition" - sold
    '99 Miata w/td05

I used Majestic Turbo in Irving. My experience with them was just fine and the turbo has been good for 30k miles or so. I have read other stories where people didn't like the work they did. I cost me about $450. Google it.

http://dallasturbo.com/
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Ok, a friend told me turbo tronics in Dallas was good. Anyone used them? I just bought the car. Didn't smell any oil during test drive but on the way home I noticed burning oil under boost. Oil is coming out the exhaust. I'm thinking its from the turbo.
    '99 Miata w/td05

So I checked the compressor side and no oil. I have a bit of black oil on the intake side but looks to be from never being cleaned out? anyways it's also leaking a bit of oil on the drain hose. Could it be from that? I don't wan't to take the time to pull the turbo till I have the funds for a rebuild. I also believe this is a cheap turbo off of ebay. Will it hurt it for me to continue driving it on occasion?

Thanks, I am totally new to turbo stuff
    '99 Miata w/td05

Are you using an oil catch can? Could be oil from the valve cover breather or PCV if you are not.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

no, I'm not but a lot of oil is coming out the exhaust and I found out the reason I can smell it so much is because I have about a 3'' crack in my down pipe right as it bends to go down. starting to think I didn't get a good buy after all. LoL
    '99 Miata w/td05

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin96M View Post
    Are you using an oil catch can? Could be oil from the valve cover breather or PCV if you are not.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    There's no six-way traction control. There's no complicated folding metal roof. It's simpler than that. Engine in the front, drive to the rear, and a big smiling piece of meat in the middle.

Currently:

1991 Mariner Blue (daily driver)
    Previously:
    1994 M-Edition

Ok, well I guess when I take the turbo off in a couple weeks I'll install a catch can as well. I also have read things about an oil restriction inline going to the turbo. I have not looked to see if the guy put one on yet.
    '99 Miata w/td05

If you need one, I have a a TDR catch can I'm not using that I can sell. PM me if you're interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    There's no six-way traction control. There's no complicated folding metal roof. It's simpler than that. Engine in the front, drive to the rear, and a big smiling piece of meat in the middle.

Currently:

1991 Mariner Blue (daily driver)
    Previously:
    1994 M-Edition

well I installed a catch can I made from some things I have laying around the place and took it for a drive. It's still burning lots of oil so I'm for sure it's from the turbo. I will order a rebuild kit and hope it last me long enough to save up for a better setup. I just need to go with a setup that has a common flange and dp. I just don't have the money to buy anything right now.
    '99 Miata w/td05

So I was able to pick up a used mhi td05 turbo off ebay in perfect working order. Should be tons more reliable than this China crap. LoL I will keep everyone posted how it works out.
    '99 Miata w/td05