Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AT&T Wireless - You might want to give them a call

Default AT&T Wireless - You might want to give them a call

I saw their commercial offering 4 lines with unlimited talk & text with 10 Gb of shared data for $160/month. I have the same plan but was paying a lot more even with a 24% corporate discount. I got it switched to their new plan and now I am saving $70/month.

EDIT: I have had AT&T wireless for a longtime. The one thing I have learned over the years is that they do not automatically lower you rate plan when there is a "special" deal on your exact same plan. Once you have the special deal they usually dont jack up the price like the @#$!* cable companies.
    Last edited by motorollow; 02-20-2014 at 05:10 AM.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

I was *just* thinking about this plan myself. I've been a Verizon customer since 1998 (same cell number, too), and even with a rather substantial discount I was paying nearly $200/mo. My sticking point is AT&T coverage is spotty at best at my house. At least I know I pretty much won't get service anywhere with Verizon, I'm reluctant to switch carriers just to have the same/worse coverage. Known evil is better than an unknown kind of thing.

I'm assuming you can keep your current numbers? Because that's actually the real reason I haven't switched yet. I'd have to transfer a NJ and NY number (as well as Texas), which Verizon told me they couldn't do locally last I asked.

They can "port" your existing numbers over to to AT&T in couple of minutes. I went to AT&T from Verizon years ago mainly because a lot of people we knew had AT&T.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Verizon can migrate numbers too, but the 2 stores I went to said I'd have to go to NJ and NY and have a local store switch them over. Which is silly, but when 2 stores tell you the same thing, it makes you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob® View Post
    Verizon can migrate numbers too, but the 2 stores I went to said I'd have to go to NJ and NY and have a local store switch them over. Which is silly, but when 2 stores tell you the same thing, it makes you think.
    I dealt with the same thing years ago. I was told by multiple ATT stores that they could only migrate numbers with local area codes.

Did you ever get it switched without having to travel? I'm hoping it's a thing of the past, since I haven't bothered checking in some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob® View Post
    Did you ever get it switched without having to travel? I'm hoping it's a thing of the past, since I haven't bothered checking in some time.
    I gave up and switched to a TX phone number. IIRC, I was able to have a message that played on the old number for several months saying the number had changed, blah blah blah.

I just talked with ATT about this. It's not as great as it sounds. When you start upgrading your phones, you start racking up extra charges. I'm paying somethink like $150 with 4g shared data and unlimited talk and tex for 2 lines. If I switch to the new plan, it's $130 for 10 gb and unlimited talk and text for two lines. Sounds great... at first. But if/when we both get new phones at somepoint, there is an additional $25/phone charge under that plan. So then it becomes $180 for two lines with 10 gb and unlimited talk and text. So it's not as great as it sounds. Under my current plan, I can pay the discounted $200 for a phone and my bill does not go up. The new plan does not allow you to do that. The only way to keep the bill the same with the new plan is to buy the phone outright ($650 for an iphone).

This is what I understand the new plan to be after talking through it with an ATT rep. So buyer beware...
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

AT&T is evil and they will never get any more of my money.

No free lunch!
    Gabriel

I just looked at this. With 2 phones it would actually decrease the amount of data we have to keep the same price.

Yep. We are on the out-of-contract plan with Tmobile now and we are paying just under $100/mo w/ taxes and all for two unlimited plans with 5gb data on my phone and 500mb on my wifes. The data is unlimited, but the speed limit kicks in at your cutoff point. Our 2 year old phones are still great, and we can either buy from them at the $25/month rate, buy outright, or bring an unlocked phone to use with our sims if we decide we need a newer phone. Working well for me.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

I've cobsidered Tmobile as well. My brother just switched and he says the signal is not as strong as ATT, as in it is not as good inside buildings etc. What's your experience been like?
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

95% of the time I have zero issues, and the ones I do have are typically only related to slow data in some buildings. Phone and light-duty internet are pretty much trouble-free. OTOH, it is definitely an "urban-focused" network. Not that my phone won't work in rural areas, but their signal/data/strength are inferior to verizon and ATT when you are away from population centers. For example, I can hardly use data at all in MW, and I only get 2G data for several stretches on I35 between Waxahachie and Georgetown. I even lose everything but phone service on the "back way" when I go to Corpus Christi via Seguin or Victoria.
    For me, I am so rarely not in a city, its a very minor inconvenience for the significant savings and lack of contract. I certainly never feel that I'm at risk of being unable to use the phone, which would be a problem to me since my wife/son rely on it too.
    Polished Turd Racing

We went to the ATT store a few weeks ago to change to a new plan. In the end, it would cost us $20/more than what we have now. We elected to stay on our old plan.

Also, T-mobile is willing to pay up to $650 for termination fees to switch you from the big carriers, though I suspect that requires a contract.
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Also, T-mobile is willing to pay up to $650 for termination fees to switch you from the big carriers, though I suspect that requires a contract.
    I think it requires you give them the phone you have now on contract.

I've had at&t since my first marriage ended 8 years ago. Honestly they suck at customer service. They kiss ass to new clients but treat good clients like trash. My contracts are up, and I'm shopping. My wife wants to give at&t one more chance, but I'm ready to try t mobile myself.

I went to the store the other day to upgrade my old phone. I dont need the latest and greatest $500 phone. I don't need a ghetto status symbol. I wanted a Samsung 3 or 4 for $100 or less, nope we don't have any of those..... Try the website. LOL upgrading a phone on the website requires to

renew and check edit every option on your current plan.

In the US companies now trip over themselves to get new clients and treat the old ones like garbage and at&t is the prototype model for it.

Ask about how much my uverse bill is and what all I don't get for it too.....

I pay at&t just under $500 a month and for pretty lousy customer service too.
    AnthonyS
    former owner of 4 NA Miatas
    94 Laguna Blue awaiting Ford 5.0 transplant
    Also have a 91 ZR-1 and 00 996 (911).

And the monthly financing for your new phone plans.... Loan sharks give better deals.
    AnthonyS
    former owner of 4 NA Miatas
    94 Laguna Blue awaiting Ford 5.0 transplant
    Also have a 91 ZR-1 and 00 996 (911).

I will never give AT&T another penny if I can avoid it. Fool me once, shame on you...
    Polished Turd Racing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast