Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am a Moron. Please don't rub it in.

Default I am a Moron. Please don't rub it in.

Well I didnt check the oil before I went to the track and apperantly used two quarts before the track day.

I blew up the engine! No April fools. Who say God has no sense of humor?

Anyway, I need a short block from a low milage 94-97. Anyone?

Chris

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Damn Chris! Mazda-Nissan Heaven may be an option.

Dude! That sucks!

How bad is the damage? Are there any parts that you can reuse?

I see a block with pistons & crank from a 94 on eBay... but no complete 1.8L engines for a Miata.

I did see this one for a Protege:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...;category=6755

Wonder if that could be used...

RJ

I wont know how bad it is until the motor is out. I think I just lost the bottom end and can reuse the head. The 94-97 have lower compression anyway, which makes this a good upgrade opportunity. Just sucks that it could have been easily prevented, although I dont know why it used the oil...

Chris

That would be cool if you could reuse the head.

You'll want to check all the bearings for scoring and heat damage... same with the lobe surfaces.

I guess it would be a good time to replace the valve guides too - assuming you could reuse the head. If you want to replace the valve guides and do-it-yourself then I need to get together with you as I want to do that to the head for the racer before I reassemble the engine.

RJ

Here's the auction for the block with pistons and crank that I was talking about...

It's down in The Woodlands, just outside of Houston... so if you wanted to do the "buy it now" you could drive down to pick it up

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

RJ

Hope things look a little brighter for you this morning. Your laptop is out of the trunk... it decided to open up when I hit a bump in the road... latch is working fine now. I will try to leave it at Gary's so you can get it when you return the trailer.

Gary is on his way over with the trailer, he is coming by to get me and going with me. Just hang onto it unless you actually see him.

Chris

Chris, call Jim Drago at East Street Automotive 1-800 700=9080. He can give you a good quote and how long the part was used. I thought I had a 94 block from when my SM blew up at ARRC in RAtlanta a few years ago. No, we swapped with the guy I got the new block from. Good luck.

Sorry to hear about the motor... but on the bright side... it could have let loose in a much more specatular way than it did.

Were you able to drive it all the way home?
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

No. It started clanking hard about 7 miles outside of the ranch. So I got a tow truck and towed it back to the ranch. Gary is getting the car with me today.

Chris

I was hoping Gary would offer up his trailer. Way to go Gary! I hated taking off with you guys on the side of the road, but I knew the other group of guys was right behind me, and I needed to get home.

Hopefully you can get it back on the road soon.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Yeah,

Truly a bummer!

Keep us updated with the progress.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Sorry to hear about that Kags, like 3bean said let us know. Id be willing to help out, you just have to operate the jack...

Thanks for the offers.

I am thinking that if I can locate a cherry picker and a couple of engine stands, I might take a stab at it this weekend.

I can do lots of the piddly stuff during the week(radiator, brackets, turbo,etc). I would at least like to get the motor out this weekend.....

Chris

Did you call Gary's guy on getting the lower end rebuilt and balanced.

I did, but I dont know if I want to afford that right now....

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Kags1969
    I did, but I dont know if I want to afford that right now....

Chris
    Wouldn't that be the best way to go rather than hope you get a good junk yard motor? What did he quote ya?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast