Thread: Thunder on the streets, 1980's autocross on TV

Default Thunder on the streets, 1980's autocross on TV

Kind of neat to see autocrossing on the streets for people that have never seen that done. Many different kinds of cars.
    Cars and tires are so much better now days.

1980's Autocross TV Special

Yes, never seen street autocross. I wish we could do it again somewhere. Maybe city of Paris wants a cool downtown event!
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

While we don't have hills here, I would like to see a hill-climb style event on a curvy road. We would first need to find a suitable road that could be closed for a day.

Back in the day.... Equipe Raipide use to go to Hot Springs Ark every year in the summer about this time of the year and do a run up the hill with
    an autocross course in the middle. Ok lest say there were some slaloms and a few gates. We used the UPS lot for impound and run up to
    the Mid America Mall then came back to the finish at UPS.

My biggest and last memory of the event was apexing a hill and it was a corner also in 3rd or 4th gear in a 90's model 300zx. Car got light on apex and started to slide. That was bad news at that speed. Saved it because I did not try to make the slalom on the down hill side. At the time the road was a two lane
    road with ditches and trees. Nothing like the link below shows now.

ER took all their equipment in a trailer that was about 4x8 full of cones, fire bottles and timer. Radios back then had a hard time transmitting with the trees and the distance.

Saturday we would run with the local SCCA club at the airport or the dog track.

There are some great stories about going to Hot Springs. Just not many people left that are still around.
    Ask the Maxcy's, Terranova, or Kramar

When I was ER president back in 95' I think, we discontinued the event due to poor turnout and development.

But yes it was FUN! Wish we had pictures.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.5188...Aw!2e0!6m1!1e1

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    While we don't have hills here, I would like to see a hill-climb style event on a curvy road. We would first need to find a suitable road that could be closed for a day.