Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Year old FM Stage 2 suspension kit

Oohhh...quick, FM stage 1 kit...$300, used for 1 year, 7k miles.

I am asking him if hell just sell the springs, if not, I think this is fair for the set, ya think??
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Yup. Also bear in mind that with the reduced "stock" rear suspension travel in the M1's, you should consider the need for the mounts sold by FM...
    This is GREAT advise! I've got the FM springs, and had the original bump stops cut as recommended by FM for this application. However, every time I hit a hard bump my teeth would chatter from my lower jaw slamming into my upper jaw, and I'd wince with pain in my spine . Also, I couldn't bare to have anyone ride with me as the extra weight put me right on the bump stops...

I just put in the FM mounts in the back (they come with new bump stops btw) and soon my teeth will tighten up, or so the dentist says

Buy the springs, and wait to install until you can buy the FM mounts, and/or Shocks...You will be sorry if you don't!

I know it's tough to convince yourself to buy those mounts at $250, but if your car is a daily driver it's a must. Of course, one benifit prior to me getting the mounts was my wife REFUSED to drive or ride in my car after we hit a few bumps. Now she likes driving it, which makes it a lot easier to swap cars with her when I need more seats.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

I think im riding on the bumpstops now, seeing as how my car sags an inch lower than stock, with stock shocks / springs, so I know how that feels. Actually its not that bad with my DD wheels, due to the tires being overly spongy, but this comes with sloppy handling, so those things are gone as soon as they wear out. With my race wheels, every bump almost hurts.

Titus, your car was much more bearable than my current blown stock setup, are you running these?? Because if thats what I should expect, I think I could live with it for 6 months or so untill I could get them.

My only debate is buying these would be cutting into my rollbar cash, & I really want/need a rollbar, so ill just have to see how it works out.

Edit: has anyone done this without buying new bumpstops...with a 100k+ car?? Should I even bother reusing them??
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Oh yea, one more annoying question...

I think I have this $300 deal in the bag, but the AGX have a lifetime warranty correct?? Would they still honor the warranty if im not the original purchaser? Or would I be SOL??

Anyone have an empty garage & want to host a meet/install Jiggys suspension/drink beer/eat pizza kinda thing maybee later this month?? Not having a garage, & being my daily driver kinda limits me on this one, that & the fact that I have only looked at the undercarriage of my car maybee 2 or 3 times dosnt help either. I can provide all food/beverages.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    Titus, your car was much more bearable than my current blown stock setup, are you running these?? Because if thats what I should expect, I think I could live with it for 6 months or so untill I could get them.
    I have not added the rear shock mounts, but they are somewhere on my list. I usually don't find myself hitting the bump stops when alone, but they become much more noticeable with a passenger. You may have gotten a slightly unrealistic view, as we spent most of the drive on nice smooth roads.
    has anyone done this without buying new bumpstops...with a 100k+ car?? Should I even bother reusing them??
    I put my springs and shocks on at around 80k miles. I put new OEM dust covers (with integrated bumpstop) up front, but not in the back. Following the FM instructions, you cut the bump stop up, only using part of it. This leaves the rest of the dust cover hanging freely, and somewhat less effective then prior to the cut. I ended up taking the 2 best of the old 4 OEM bumpstops and modified them as per the FM instructions for the rear. I am using JUST THE BUMPSTOPS, with no dustcover. I sold the other 2 new ones to another guy doing suspension at the same tech day.

Oh yea, one more annoying question...

I think I have this $300 deal in the bag, but the AGX have a lifetime warranty correct?? Would they still honor the warranty if im not the original purchaser? Or would I be SOL??
    Usually not. I don't know about KYB, but Koni's warranty only applies ot the original purchaser, iirc.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Damn, this is a tough call...I can buy this for 300, or I can wait & hope somebody lists some springs for cheap, get new KYBs for 300, or have to buy both new. This way im looking at $450 or $550. The former I can handle, but the latter sucks. $300 is awesome, but I gamble on how hard theyve been used & how much I can trust that 7k mile estimate, & lose the warranty with that. But its only $300...ahhh this is driving me crazy!!

Oh man...the guy is telling me he stripped the threads on 2 of the shocks while removing them. He says I can get them re-threaded pretty cheap at a machine shop. What am I looking at here?? He says he will cut the price for the inconvenience, I am just wondering what the repercussions of this is, is it still worth it?? Should I just offer him like $200 for them considering this??

Thanks guys for helping me out with this.

Edit: These are the pics he sent me...apparently not actual pics of the shocks for sale, just a demonstration...

Last edited by Jiggerachi; 05-04-2005 at 10:43 PM.

IMHO, run!! It doesn't sound worth the trouble...

Save up some more green and go for a new KYB set-up and used springs. Hell, I bought my Eibach Pro-Kit springs from MadMerv for 50 clams...

Walk away. If he stripped the threads on two shocks trying to remove them (how on earth did he manage that? ), I'd suspect one of two things:

A) There is probably additional, internal damage to the shocks (the shaft is probably scratched, marred, or mangled as well, which will quickly tear up the internal seals).

B) Those shocks have been installed and removed from a whole bunch of cars, meaning they're probably a lot older and closer to shot than you think they are.

I once made the mistake of buying a set of used Konis for the Miata - the seller claimed that they were only about 15,000 miles old and that he had bought them new. When they arrived, I found a piece of paper in the bottom of one of the boxes that the seller had forgotten about - a note from the guy who had sold the shocks to him, originally. I did a little back-tracking, and came to find out that I was the fifth owner of those particular shocks, and that they likely had well over 100,000 miles on them.

Needless to say, they weren't worth what I paid for them.

I'd advise saving up the money to buy new shocks. Buying used springs is one thing, but unless you know who you're buying the shocks from and you can make a full inspection of them before buying, I'd pass. Been there, done that.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Yea thats what I was thinking. I am going to try to pry the springs from him, but thats all...

Ok, I passed on the shocks & offered him $170 for the springs, & he agreed. So I guess I came out ok on the deal. I'm going to grap an ebay special on some new KYBs for $300.

Thanks for all the advise guys! :afro:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12