Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mechanically inclined but nervous to take the first leap

Default Mechanically inclined but nervous to take the first leap

Okay, so I got my first full weekend to start evaluating my 91.

From the Introductions forum I followed what was recommended. My clutch slave cylinder was torn up so I replaced it and the master, bled the clutch. replaced the PVC valve and the O2 sensor (that was fun..not). Haven't done the brakes yet. I re-built the shift turret for my first project and am gradually getting familiar with the car.

I noticed while under the car this weekend that the front steering rack boots were all torn up. The car has 140k on it so I doubt anyone ever changed them. Would I be better off just buying a re-manufactured power steering rack or just replacing the boots? Just trying to get the common sense repairs done before I go crazy, but there is the learning curve and there are so many things I want to eventually do with the car.

I'm by no means a super competent mechanic...yet. Are their any classes or days when Miata owners get together and explain how to fix or modify things? I have the tools but I lack the initial confidence to rip something new apart that becomes beyond my means to put back together. I've been starting small.

If I buy the parts that I want I doubt my mechanic is going to let me hang out in the bay and watch/help with the work plus I'm the type that wants things done by the book, correctly as I'm sure most everyone here does as well. Any mechanic is just going to slap things back together as quickly as possible to improve his bottom line.

Any "Miata Consultants" or classes out there that willing to educate?

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Any mechanic is just going to slap things back together as quickly as possible to improve his bottom line.
    Oh really?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Oh really?
    LOL!!!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

If you are lacking mechanically, give Rogue a call. He does top notch work at a fair price, and can be trusted 100% to only fix what needs to be fixed.

http://www.miatasolutions.com/

^+1

He is the only one besides me and Titus on here that touches my car.
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

IIRC, I just replace my boots with no problems. Might as well replace the endlinks too, since you'll have to remove them.

I have actually already heard good things about Steven @ MiataSolutions. I meant simply to use the generalization of "any mechanic" based on some unfortunate previous occurrences with other cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    I have actually already heard good things about Steven @ MiataSolutions. I meant simply to use the generalization of "any mechanic" based on some unfortunate previous occurrences with other cars.
    Nice backpedaling!

Try and fix it! I've always gone into projects know the absolute worst thing that could happen would be the expense to tow my failed project to a mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Nice backpedaling!

Try and fix it! I've always gone into projects know the absolute worst thing that could happen would be the expense to tow my failed project to a mechanic.
    +1 to that point of view. My current miata is the first time I have really torn into a car aside from average maintenance. They are surprisingly simple cars to work on. Theres plenty of "How to" threads/books out there to pretty much take the car apart and put it back together.

Quote Originally Posted by mtrx804 View Post
    Theres plenty of "How to" threads/books out there to pretty much take the car apart and put it back together.
    If its on the interwebs it must be true……just spend some time on the MME/CR Facebook page to see exactly my point.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Nice backpedaling!

Actually - knowing my ability to tear something apart, the cost of the tow to a mechanic would be the least of the expenses. I'll continue to focus on achievable projects and build up the comfort level. Something like a clutch replacement, at this stage, I would definitely take to a "reliable" mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    If its on the interwebs it must be true……just spend some time on the MME/CR Facebook page to see exactly my point.
    Duh! They can't put anything on the internet that isn't true.

With experience comes wisdom Grasshopper.

We Miata owners have a truely fantastic repair resource called "Miata Enthusiast's Shop Manual". It is available for the 1.6 and 1.8 models up to 1997. It is the most comprehensive step by step manual you'll ever find. It's my bible for working on my Miata. God knows I've worked on my Miata!

Makes the Haynes manual look like a coloring book for kids!
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

http://www.amazon.com/Mazda-Enthusia.../dp/1845840836

I can't imagine not having my Enthusiasts Workshop Manual.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Also, fill out your profile so we will know where you are located. Some of us will probably be close enough to come help when you need it.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

The book that really helped me was: http://www.amazon.com/Mazda-Performa...mance+projects
    But, anything big goes to Miata Solutions.
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark52 View Post
    We Miata owners have a truely fantastic repair resource called "Miata Enthusiast's Shop Manual". It is available for the 1.6 and 1.8 models up to 1997. It is the most comprehensive step by step manual you'll ever find. It's my bible for working on my Miata. God knows I've worked on my Miata!

Makes the Haynes manual look like a coloring book for kids!
    Well, you sold me on it. I just picked one up using cone-cerned's Amazon link.

Okay - Amazon sold another book. I had already bought the Haynes manual and the "Mazda Miata MX-5 Performance Projects" by Keith Tanner, the one that I used for the previous weekends. My goal is to bring this car back to what it deserves.

Being visually event driven - I decided to buy some front outer end links and rack boots tonight for this weekends project. I decided against buying a complete re-manufactured steering rack because the brakes might be an issue with turning noises. The boots are torn and should be replaced anyway plus links have to come off to replace the boots and it seemed like something I could accomplish. I'm looking for minor improvements to support the commitment of me doing it myself. No plug intended but Fort Worth Tire and Service is right down the road from my office so any mistakes I make this weekend should be manageable to fix the following Monday.

Bunch of A holes... Add me to the list of book owners.
    - James

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast