Thread: V710s VS. Victos

Default V710s VS. Victos

I have a quick question, V710s are now available in 14" sizes. Their prices are around the same as a victo that has been shaved. Which of the two do you recommend? My main concerns are
    1. Wear, I would like to use them for atleast the rest of the season.
    2. Speed, obviously I want the quickest tire.

Do the 710s last very long? Thanks for the help.

The victos should last a good deal longer, they're a very durable tire, but of course the 710s will probably be faster.

So you gotta choose between faster or tread life, but I'm sure the victos will do well locally here.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Folks have told me the 710 will go 1/2 as long as a Victoracers. Not sure if it's true but it is a nice story!

I may pull the trigger on some 710's myself....... Majik I'll make ya a deal on a set of gently barely used 205/14 Victoracers!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Folks have told me the 710 will go 1/2 as long as a Victoracers. Not sure if it's true but it is a nice story!

I may pull the trigger on some 710's myself....... Majik I'll make ya a deal on a set of gently barely used 205/14 Victoracers!
    Is a set 2 or 4? Because I know you have a pair of "gently" used Victos. Hehe. Did you order another pair of Victos?

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Is a set 2 or 4? Because I know you have a pair of "gently" used Victos. Hehe. Did you order another pair of Victos?
    Its for 2 tires!

What do you guys think of this? Ebay Auction ? I think I might put in a snipe for 300, with shipping that might put me right around 400. Still cheaper than a new set, including wheels, plus I will get a set of wide 13s too! That way I can get a new set of tires in the future that dont have to go on a set of narrow stock wheels!

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    What do you guys think of this? Ebay Auction ? I think I might put in a snipe for 300, with shipping that might put me right around 400. Still cheaper than a new set, including wheels, plus I will get a set of wide 13s too! That way I can get a new set of tires in the future that dont have to go on a set of narrow stock wheels!
    Wonder how long they have been setting is his garage!

As Mark52 would tell the older the tire the better they will work for you! :viking:

Those wheels probably won't clear the '94+ brakes - most of the common 13" steelies won't. Do some research on the autox section of the board - I did some looking around when I was in CSP, and the common consensus was that there weren't any cheap steelies that would clear the '94+ brakes.

As for V710 versus Victoracer... I'd say V710s all the way. The V710s are a lot faster. The Victos might last longer, but after 80-90 runs they're usually heat-cycled out to the point that they're slower than good street tires anyway. I know Neal Bellamy & Bob Neff got over 80 runs out of the set of V710s they used last year on Bob's '96 Corvette, and I've got 36 runs on mine already this year without flipping them. Plenty of tread left on the outside, and I probably won't even flip them until after the next SCCA event. If they wear evenly after flipping, they should be good for ~80 runs.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

True, they are probably not the best tire, so I wonder if it would even be worth it since I already have a set of 14 inch wheels. But they are 14X6 and probably as heavy if not more than thos 13s.

If you want a really good budget setup for CSP, I'd recommend a set of 13"x7.5" Axis/Lenso VPDs and a set of 215/50-13 V710s to go with them. If I were headed back to CSP, that's what I'd be buying. Nice, light (about 9 lbs.), cheap (~$500/set) wheels, and the 215 V710s are almost tailor made for that wheel width.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Ok, that is what I was looking for. I figure I will probably stay in Street tire class at S2k events, and use race tires at SCCA, 80 runs sounds ok. I just dont want them to last until July then need another set. And I dont want Victoracers that are slower than what I have in August either.

Alright, a decision has been made...

Vehicle: 99 Mazda Miata

Qty Size and Description Availability

4 205/55WR-14 Kumho ECSTA V710 In Stock

Sweet!
    Iain

Altiain, I recently priced some of those Lenso VPD's and the cheapest I could finf them (new) was about $660 per set. That was at Exospeed. Do you know of a good source for them?
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Goodwin Racing used to stock a few sets, but I don't know if they still carry them.
    Iain

Well let me know how the 710's work out, my new pair (2) of Victoracers a scheduled to be delivered today! The CEO of POS Enterprises and I decided to go with the Victoracers and save our Pennies for the POS 2's replacement.

Tires are now mounted and balanced! Just need to do a Team POS Heat cycle and they will be ready for Sunday! :afro:

The CEO of POS Enterprises and I decided to go with the Victoracers and save our Pennies for the POS 2's replacement.
    Y'know if you buy a '99 Touring like Sammm's that you could use those tires on the POS III...
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Y'know if you buy a '99 Touring like Sammm's that you could use those tires on the POS III...
    Yea but I keep reading about how those '99's are falling apart!

Yea but I keep reading about how those '99's are falling apart!
    Ironically, lugnutjon's sees more abuse than mine, has more miles on it, and hasn't broken down at all. Apparently I just bought a lemon.

Just Kidding. Mine has served me well over the last four years, even if it is on jackstands at the moment.
    Iain