Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TX Region SCCA Autocross #8 - Sunday, October 19, 2014 - TMS Bus Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I have never been so happy to drive an understeering pig of a car as I was Sunday. Since I got the Corvette I have been battling trying to get the rear to hook up, nothing I did seemed to work for very long, from huge front sway bars to a ton of rear tow in. It turns out that it had bad control arm bushings, they looked fine but I replaced them and it’s now a different car. I just need to work out the set-up now.
    Hooray! I was worried you were going to give up.

Good to hear. I thought it seemed like that car wasn't letting you drive like you used to.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    +1 .... Tough crowd to play with. Kudos to the winners.
    4 STS cars in top 10 on PAX recognizing we were 4th heat.

Yep jrj512, I was pretty much ready to give up on the car. Changing the control arms was pretty much a desperation move sense they looked OK.

That's great to hear Robert! Educate me...what exactly happens when the control arm bushings go bad (outside of no rear grip)?
    Brad McCann
    GS Genesis Coupe
    Korean Camaro Racing

BMcCann, I am not sure I can explain it, I don’t even know which ones were bad, I just changed all of them. Under normal driving the car felt like it had bump steer in the back if I went over small bumps in a turn. Being the only Corvette I had driven I through it was just the way they were. The last NTAXS event the car had wicked throttle lift over steer. It went down the highway fine.

The only real symptoms I noticed was the bump steer felling in turns under normal driving. I guess that they were still good enough that it didn’t have many symptoms until it was pushed hard then the back would not stick in the corners and if I spun the wheels too hard on the start it would wheel hop some times. I am guessing that the back tires were going into tow out or positive camber under high loads.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12