Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel Question -

Default Wheel Question -

What's the trick to mounting a wheel on a Miata without a hubcentric ring (ring not available)?

Torque the lugnuts while the wheel is unloaded.

Seriously, though - even modern "hubcentric" wheels are still primarily lugcentric, which is why lugnuts have a tapered seat.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Yeah... What he ^ said. One of the Miata vendors used to have some info about it providing added assurances that the wheel went on correctly but not being 100% required. I think it was Brian Goodwin, but I can't find it on his new site.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    hubcentric ring ?
    some one please tell this(me) noob what a hubcentric ring is adn why it is needed?

Quote Originally Posted by dyingbreed
    some one please tell this(me) noob what a hubcentric ring is adn why it is needed?
    Most aftermarket rims are made with an oversize center bore and the centering ring brings that bore size down to the Miata hub size. Hubcentric refers to the Wheel using the Hub to keep the wheel centered rather than the lugs (lugcentric).

thank you

If you don't have any vibration in the wheels, don't worry about it. The plastic ones will melt in some conditions such as the Ranch so be aware of those.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

Why are you asking these Questions Mr. Treibenschnell?

Damnit... bad luck...

Not a single set of Hankook RS-2 in the 205/50/15 size in the whole metro-mess (at least according to Discount)... so I'll have the rims tomorrow but no tires for 3 to 4 days :mad: .

At least this will give me the chance to wax the wheels...

At least this will give me the chance to wax the wheels...
    Remember Danielsan... Wax on... Wax off...

...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

What's the trick to mounting a wheel on a Miata without a hubcentric ring (ring not available)?
    Should be available, I have them for my wheels. Of course like Gary said you may not need them anyways.

*haven't had my plastic hubcentric rings melt at the track yet....and I definitely beat the hell out of both Miatas at the Ranch and Hallet! You're not speaking from experience are you?
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

The only advise I can give is slowly get the lugs upto torque specs by going through the star patern several times increasing the torque each time. That will give the wheel a chance to get perfectly centered.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66
    Should be available, I have them for my wheels.
    You're right... they should... but Goodwin doesn't have them. Where did you find yours? Not that I need them!

You're right... they should... but Goodwin doesn't have them. Where did you find yours? Not that I need them!
    Mine came with the wheels for free from Discount Tire Direct. They also threw in the centercaps, making the total price less then goodwin.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Mine came with the wheels for free from Discount Tire Direct. They also threw in the centercaps, making the total price less then goodwin.
    Well, initially, I had ordered my wheels through Discount. Unfortunately, the back order on the silver Slipstreams was through mid June possibly July!!

I called other wheel outlets and no one else had them either... that is, until I called Goodwin. I called Brian and he told me that he had five wheels sitting on his shelf... I quickly told him to ship four. Just ten bucks more than I would have paid through Discount but also with the free slim lugnuts (without rings)... and now free shipping due to a UPS screw up!!

Also, other good news... our Discount Tire connection, Al Cavan, is now at the Ohio Drive store here in Frisco/Plano!! The great part is he's still going to honor the great price on the Hankook RS2's (205/50/15 - $64 mounted and balanced!)

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Also, other good news... our Discount Tire connection, Al Cavan, is now at the Ohio Drive store here in Frisco/Plano!! The great part is he's still going to honor the great price on the Hankook RS2's (205/50/15 - $64 mounted and balanced!)
    Whoa. That price sounds unbelievably good -- are you *sure* that's not for the 195/50? (And whose name do you have to drop to get that price?)

Quote Originally Posted by redmenace
    Whoa. That price sounds unbelievably good -- are you *sure* that's not for the 195/50? (And whose name do you have to drop to get that price?)
    Very sure!!

Very sure!!
    Don't you mean $64 + Mount & balance ($9/wheel)???
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Don't you mean $64 + Mount & balance ($9/wheel)???
    You got your deal... I got mine!

In other words... "I'm not sure..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast