Thread: Crunchy shifts into 3rd

Default Crunchy shifts into 3rd

I've had this problem for a little while now. Whether downshifting or upshifting there is some grinding when I go into 3rd gear. I've made sure the clutch pedal is mashed to the floor, so I think there's actually something going on with the transmission. Could the synchronizer be bad? Does anyone have any ideas? It happens most at higher RPMs, but overall it's kind of sporadic.
    2004 Mazdaspeed Miata- Velocity Red (sold)

What are you using for transmission fluid??

Miatas are picky here is some old stuff that worked for me - http://www.dfwmiata.com/threads/1933...hlight=penzoil

Change the tranny fluid using Pennzoil Syncromesh. Its cheap and available at Autozone. It cured my 3rd gear grind after a local Miata shop put Motul in my NA tranny.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Made my transmission shift like 'buddah!
    1995 M Edition

Sounds good. I'll try some new fluid. Have any of you tried that Ford stuff I've heard about on m.net?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

So the Pennzoil Syncromesh is the new Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant LS 75W-90 (or whatever that stuff we used to us is)?

I had some crunches going into 3rd at ECR this past weekend.

The Penz Synchromesh is excellent. I used the Motorcraft Maunual Trans fluid in the NC 6MT, which is more sensitive than the NA/NB trannys. Loved it, but hard to get and xpensive. The Penzoil stuff is stocked at most local stores.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by stinkydragon View Post
    Sounds good. I'll try some new fluid. Have any of you tried that Ford stuff I've heard about on m.net?
    I'm using it in a 6spd as I had read good things, but have no before data since I put it in at the same time as the transmission. I get some slight grinding when cold but could need to bleed the clutch again.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

So I ended up getting the Motorcraft stuff to see what the fuss was about.

Put it in today. First question is, as long as the car was relatively level there should be enough in there if some fluid was dripping out of the fill hole when I was done, correct? (I ask because I accidentally spilled a little bit of my 2 qts while filling)

Second question is, how long do I need to wait before I feel the magic effects of the new fluid (if it is indeed magic)?

Most reports say the magic starts in the first 100+ miles and the show will increase with magic for 1000+.
    95-white Artech Boost
    99-blue PART-OUT!!

So far at about 100 miles the magic is real. I used to cringe whenever I shifted to third. Now it's much better. Still not perfect at high revs, but hopefully it will continue to improve.