Thread: Which concrete expoy to use.

Default Which concrete expoy to use.

I had the foundation poured on my new workshop last week. Before I start erecting the shop I want to paint or expoxy the floor. Any recommendations?

And how long do I need to let the concrete cure before I paint?

THanks.

Ataim
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I think it's a month for concrete to fully cure. Wish I would have thought to paint/epoxy mine while it was an open slab.

I recommend this thread, the Garage Flooring Meta-Thread

http://forums.corner-carvers.com/showthread.php?t=35811
    Jason McDaniel

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

There is also a lot of good info/exampes on garagejournal.com...flooring section on their forum.

I used epoxy-coat. Held up ok so far for 5 years except for a few spots where it flaked up, not sure if it was bad prep in that area or what. Try and get something that's solid epoxy and not water based.

If you're going to do it when it's an open slab pick a day when it's not windy or you'll get debris, bugs and crap stuck in it.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    If you're going to do it when it's an open slab pick a day when it's not windy or you'll get debris, bugs and crap stuck in it.
    LOL!

The concrete will cure a little faster in this warm weather, but I'd definitely wait at least a week or two longer than the minimum. We used the OTS epoxy kit when we did the garage in our family beach house, and it's doing fine 4 years later. Applied it to a brand new slab floor, but waited till construction was complete.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    LOL!
    Not kidding, had some junk blow in mine and had to carefully pick it out and that was in an enclosed garage
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Blog Entries

Consider tile
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

http://www.garagejournal.com/

As has already been suggested..... Tile would my preference if my slab were in better condition.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.v8floorcoatings.com/system/residential.html

I used to work for a company that did concrete floors, stain, seal, overlays, garage floors, pools, etc. and these were awesome. We did a ton of epoxy floors but they all eventually got scratched up and had to be waxed to be shiny but these stay shiny forever. And, you can spill acetone or carb cleaner on them and they don't re-emulsify, and since they are flake floors its hard to tell when they are dirty. Plus they are super thick compared to other coatings so you cant just scratch them off.

The name of the place is True Custom Concrete, you can call if you have any questions, he is a super cool dude.
    Last edited by Sloaner00; 08-06-2015 at 12:12 AM.
    '92 Mariner Blue [1.8 swap finished!]
    UTA Formula SAE -Driver/Fabricator

Quote Originally Posted by Sloaner00 View Post

I used to work for a company that did concrete floors, stain, seal, overlays, garage floors, pools, etc. and these were awesome. We did a ton of epoxy floors but they all eventually got scratched up and had to be waxed to be shiny but these stay shiny forever. And, you can spill acetone or carb cleaner on them and they don't re-emulsify, and since they are flake floors its hard to tell when they are dirty. Plus they are super thick compared to other coatings so you cant just scratch them off.

The name of the place is True Custom Concrete, you can call if you have any questions, he is a super cool dude.
    What kind of coating is that, is it still some sort of epoxy? About how much to get a standard 2 car garage done with that stuff?

What do you think about a sealed/stained finish vs. epoxy?
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

I used a ppg product recommended by some folks that do floors at lockheed and it has held up well. Be sure to keep soakers going around the slab for several weeks in this heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloaner00 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    What kind of coating is that, is it still some sort of epoxy? About how much to get a standard 2 car garage done with that stuff?

What do you think about a sealed/stained finish vs. epoxy?
    Hey its only 4 bucks a square foot
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

The building kit get here on August the 11th. I'm going to start erecting that weekend. So I will have to wait on the floor for now (gotta cure some more). More that likely going to go with the rustoleum product. It is TCB approved and easy to use (?).

It's definitely not cheap but you get what you pay for. I never dealt with pricing so I'm not 100% sure what the end cost is.

It is a 2 layer bottom coat then flakes are cast and 2 more layers of clear are put on. I think it's the thickest garage coating of its type.
    '92 Mariner Blue [1.8 swap finished!]
    UTA Formula SAE -Driver/Fabricator