Thread: Any guitar/mandoline/ukulele players on here?

Default Any guitar/mandoline/ukulele players on here?

I just ordered a Flea Fluke Uke and was wondering if anyone else played guitar? I have been playing guitar since college and am a chord player, nothing fancy. I thought I'd try out the Uke. Anyone else on here?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Kags1969
    I just ordered a Flea Fluke Uke and was wondering if anyone else played guitar? I have been playing guitar since college and am a chord player, nothing fancy. I thought I'd try out the Uke. Anyone else on here?

Chris
    My Aunt's live in boyfriend's cousin (or something like that) was married to Israel Ka'ano'i Kamakawiwo'ole (AKA IZ) before he passed away but that might not help you much. A few people in my family have learned to play the ukulele, as they try to get closer to our Portuguese Hawaiian Heritage. Unfortunately, I am not one of them, so still no help. I guess the topic caught my attention, so I just had to comment!
    Last edited by Titus; 05-12-2005 at 09:40 AM.

I played cello all the way through high school. I picked up playing bass guitar in college. I just recently sold my Fender to a friend... I've been sans bass for a bit now...

But the uke... can't say I've ever tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    My Aunt's live in boyfriend's cousin (or something like that) was married to Israel Ka'ano'i Kamakawiwo'ole (AKA IZ) before he passed away but that might not help you much. A few people in my family have learned to play the ukulele, as they try to get closer to our Portuguese Hawaiian Heritage. Unfortunately, I am not one of them, so still no help. I guess the topic caught my attention, so I just had to comment!

Bro Dah Iz!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kags1969
    Bro Dah Iz!!!!

On my recent honeymoon trip to Hawaii, I bought 2 ukeleles for my dad & step brother.

My dad has an ameteur Pro Tools studio in his house & plays the drums / bass & used to have a band, my unkle has a christian blues band / jail ministry, my step mom plays piano, my step brother plays classical / electric guitar, been in a few bands. Me & my brother dont play anything, we both do pro audio setup / mixing for big shows from time to time. My brother used to install sound systems for alot of churches, & we both have been mixing sound for our church(s) for years (I havent in awhile though).

Although I dont play anything, having been raised around musicians, I have a lot of respect for them.

What was this thread about again, I kinda went off there
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Some interesting history on the the Ukulele

In the year 1879, the first Portuguese arrived in Hawaii. Included among the many things they brought from their native land was a small stringed instrument called the Portuguese Braga, sometimes also referred to as the Braquiñha.

In that year, a ship named the "Ravenscrag" arrived in Hawaii from Portugal. The ship carried about 400 men, women and children from Madeira. (My Great-Great-Grandparents were on this boat or one of 6 others just like it) In the group of first arrivals were three musical instrument makers, Augusto Diaz, Manuel Nunes, and José do Espirito Santo. Each one has been credited, at one time or another, with having adapted the braquiñha into the ukulele, which has become as much a part of Hawaii as pineapple.

Among the many passengers aboard the "Ravenscrag" was a musician named Joaõ Fernandez. A popular belief is that when the ship arrived in Honolulu harbour, Fernandez jumped onto the wharf and began singing and strumming lively Portuguese folk songs. The Hawaiian people were noticeably moved by the performance and were immediately taken by the small stringed instrument he was playing.

How did the "ukulele" get its name? According to a pamphlet at the Bishop Museum:

"The instrument was heard one day by Edward Purvis, a British army officer who was Vice-Chamberlain of King Kalakaua's court. He was delighted with the size and the sound and asked to be taught, and soon he was playing for various court functions. Because of Mr. Purvis' small build and his lively antics while performing on the instrument, he was compared to a jumping flea. The Hawaiian, fond of nicknames, called him "ukulele". (Uku meaning flea, and Lele meaning jumping) The instrument was an instant success and even King Kalakaua learned to play it"

While we're on the topic of music...here's a quick joke...

What do you call the guy that hangs out with all the musicians?

The drummer.

Okay... back to regular programming.

I play guitar.

I have a Taylor 410ce Limited edition (Rosewood back and sides) w/Expression system.
    Also have a PA, with lighting if you want to feel like a Yuke. rock star...lol

I do also have a giging band called "Tasty Lixx" ie (musical Licks), but everyone's mind always thinks something else.

I would be up for jamming with you sometime.
    99 Miata Black

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I have an on/off switch on every radio I own

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    What was this thread about again, I kinda went off there
    I studied steel guitar for an eternity in the 5th grade. I begged to stop, but it was my teacher's begging that convinced my parents ??:
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

^Steel guitar is awesome, although I do like the banjo better.

My dad has an original Doboro steel guitar in his studio, its gotta be worth some $$.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

I have three brothers and two sons that were/are top knotch musicians, all playing everything from piano, guitar, steel, bass, drums, etc. 3 uncles who play banjo, and any other stringed instrument you can think of. A few of them can even sing like birds, and one even operates a fairly successful recording studio. Me, don't even think about it. As much as I tried to pick up piano and guitar, it didn't happen!
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"