Thread: Aftermarket temp gauge/cooling questions

Suspension Modder

Default Aftermarket temp gauge/cooling questions

Anyone here running an aftermarket cooling gauge, possibly using the Mishimoto adapter to do so?

If so, what temps are you seeing when running/sitting with the car warmed up?

Thanks!

I use the Torque App and a cheap Bluetooth OBDII deal.

My '02 idle temp last time I checked was just under 200 degrees. Moving it doesn't pick up much. But my slightly upgraded OEM Radiator is only about 2 years old.

Recently got the FORscan App it can do more stuff than Torque but haven't used it to graph temps yet - http://www.dfwmiata.com/threads/2773...e-for-ya-phone!
    Last edited by POS Racing; 03-30-2016 at 09:34 PM.

I don't use the Foreskin, oop! Forscan. I have the Scan Gauge which plugs into the OBDII. I think one of these solutions is cheaper and easier than hard wire a dedicated aftermarket gauge. Unless you use a JDM gauge!
    Gabriel

Suspension Modder

Sorry for the vague question - the car already has the Mishimoto adapter and a Proscan temp gauge. I am just wanting to check if other people are getting similar readings with the same setup to verify all is well. The gauge alarms above about 210 degrees or so, but since OEM gauges are so vague with their temps, and the OEM sensor is in a different location, I cannot effectively compare the temps that I am seeing there. I do know the OEM gauge never varies, the car rarely gets above 200-205 on the temp gauge when actually driving (usually 190-200), and I have never had it climb about about 220 when sitting still, and it quickly drops when the car is moving again. I have not checked recently, but did verify fans were working and came on when we were looking at the car for purchase.

I may move to an OBDII dongle/app or scan gauge in the future, just wanting to verify all is well on the car.

Thanks!

I think you are fine! This is just my experience with my setup. On cool day, 70 or less, the coolant temp runs around 184 once moving. In stop and go, lots of 1st and 2nd gear, it can go as high 200. The fans will kick in around 210 and bring it back to around 190. On a freezing day, it stays around 182. On a hot day, 90 and above, it runs around 190-200 once moving. Hope this help. I think it likes to be between 184-210. Below 170 that the ECU will dump a lot fuel and above 240 you at risk frying something.
    Gabriel

Suspension Modder

Did a bit of driving today, then stopped to see how things looked. I was running under 190 when driving around normally, and with some city driving I was 190-200. Closer to 200 with spirited, high RPM driving on the back roads.

Fans seemed to kick on around 205, and I stayed sitting several times throughout the drive to get it to heat up, and once the fans kicked in it never climbed above ~215, and the fans were able to bring it down to ~200 without any issues.

I will leave things as they are for now (although moving the gauge), and thanks for the help!