Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NTAXS Autocross #5, 9/17/16, Lone Star Park

I got called for a DNF ony last run, and while I spun out and my time was junk anyway before adding a penalty, I know I tagged the cone that I got called for missing. Got video evidence and everything. Gotta let the folks know, if you tag the cone, even going mostly on the wrong side of it, it's a penalty, not a DNF

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggo View Post
    I got called for a DNF ony last run, and while I spun out and my time was junk anyway before adding a penalty, I know I tagged the cone that I got called for missing. Got video evidence and everything. Gotta let the folks know, if you tag the cone, even going mostly on the wrong side of it, it's a penalty, not a DNF
    It's a constant struggle, even at Nationals, to get the right calls when it is a DNF versus a cone.

I was working timing for one of the heats. One of the corners seemed to think that hitting a pointer cone was an automatic DNF. We made a point to try and radio them to let them know to stop calling DNFs but I don't think they listened.

Got video evidence and everything. Gotta let the folks know, if you tag the cone, even going mostly on the wrong side of it, it's a penalty, not a DNF
    Post the Video up! Would be a good real life lesson on cone calls for those who lurk the interwebz.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    It's a constant struggle, even at Nationals, to get the right calls when it is a DNF versus a cone.
    I heard we were using boating rules yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    I heard we were using boating rules yesterday.
    LOL!! *

*It is an old reference but still comedy gold!
    Last edited by POS Racing; 09-19-2016 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidss View Post
    I was working timing for one of the heats. One of the corners seemed to think that hitting a pointer cone was an automatic DNF. We made a point to try and radio them to let them know to stop calling DNFs but I don't think they listened.
    It would have been in corner 3's territory and I got the pointer also. I'll post up the video later, you can't actually see me hit it since I was quite out of shape at the time, but you can hear it and from the angle you know I wiped out the entire corner, pointer and all.

Video. Most entertaining part is the save and subsequent overheated rear tire action that starts about 1:20 in.

"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Don't even need to hear the thump, you can see the cones after my wipeout. Highlighted with the best tools I have (windows movie maker and MSPaint)

http://youtu.be/Mv3IZ2P5JFY

The video looks a lot to me like you hit the pointer but left the cone standing in the box. Then you proceeded to continue on the wrong side of the cone.
    Andy Cost
    Humble Servant - Equipe Rapide

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

If you hit one of the cones on a gate, can it ever be considered a DNF?

Pointer cones.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    If you hit one of the cones on a gate, can it ever be considered a DNF?
    It is not a DNF if you hit a standing cone that is part of the element.

Silly thought, but was one cone hit, or both? Which one had to be reset, or were both of them? It's not real clear, but they appear to be in the same relative orientation to each other both before and after the spin, just separated by 12 or so feet. Could the standing cone have been tagged and pushed, still standing, way to the left and away from the pointer? If that were the case, would you still have to drive to the left of the standing cone, or just to the left of the pointer?

Hard to see what happened there. Maybe a frame to frame comparison of two different videos might reveal which cone moved, if it even matters.

If you only hit the pointer and drive on the wrong side of the gate/cone, it should be scored as a DNF.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Autocross is hard.........

Quote Originally Posted by nomadtrash View Post
    The video looks a lot to me like you hit the pointer but left the cone standing in the box. Then you proceeded to continue on the wrong side of the cone.
    I would be pretty impressed if I could pull that off, bumping just the pointer to the right while spinning out to the left, but just look at the rubbered in part of the pavement before and after the spin. The dark rubbered in area is left of the cone as you would expect before the spin, after the spin it's to the right of the cone. It's easier as a corner worker, if you have to put the standing cone back, it's not a DNF.

I would be pretty impressed if I could pull that off, bumping just the pointer to the right while spinning out to the left, but just look at the rubbered in part of the pavement before and after the spin. The dark rubbered in area is left of the cone as you would expect before the spin, after the spin it's to the right of the cone. It's easier as a corner worker, if you have to put the standing cone back, it's not a DNF.
    That's what I was suggesting in post #34, and what I think most likely happened. Anti-clockwise spin, rear of car pushes standing cone left a dozen or so feet, leaving pointer untouched in its original position. If so, then not a DNF.

But POS is right. "Autocross is hard......... "

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    If you only hit the pointer and drive on the wrong side of the gate/cone, it should be scored as a DNF.
    Agreed. The same thing happen to me except it wasn't a spin at Nats. I tried to turn in on a cone I overshot to make it a 1 cone penalty, but I ran over the pointer cone only and must have left the cone in the box. It's hard to say if it was actually out of the box in the video.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast