Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Body work

Default Body work

They finally got me. I got rear ended at a stoplight tonight by a gigantic lifted truck, and I want to start looking for a body shop, and to get an idea of what it will cost to fix.

I don't think the rear suspension was damaged. The right rear quarter panel got a little squashed. Is that going to be enough to total it?

2004 Mazdaspeed Miata- Velocity Red (sold)

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Doubt it will get totalled. Rogue does paint & body work.

Go rogue..

Awwww that sucks..... Hope it gets fixed quick!

Even if they total it, keep the car (pay the salvage value) and fix it; your subframe should be ok in that impact (hopefully). Definitely make Rogue your first option, since you know the driving dynamics will be correctly addressed. Oh, his paint work is sweet too.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Thanks, just tried to send an email off to Rogue, but it bounced right back. Guess I'll give him a call later today. And I'll definitely be keeping the car regardless of what happens.

Try him on FB
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

It was totaled. Trying not to get screwed over on valuation now. Definitely buying it back, though.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

^Really? Was there frame damage?

Quote Originally Posted by stinkydragon View Post
    It was totaled.
    Thats BS!…...who was the insurance co?

Auction values and the general salvage/rebuild market are really high these days so most things get salvaged. It's also cheaper for the insurance company than risk conflict and heartache with their customers over bad repairs, loss of value, and all other lawsuit bait.

Be sure you point out all the upgrades you have in the car. I got a lot more than expected when they totaled my 99. It helped a lot Gary at Track Dog showed the adjuster all the aftermarket stuffs I had, the extend/cost of the damage using new OEM parts.
    Gabriel

It was Allstate. The cost of the "insurance grade parts" and labor added up to enough to total the car before he even got to the quarter panel. I've notified them of the aftermarket stuff, too. Waiting to hear back now.

Doesn't take much to total a 12 year old car. Good luck fighting the insurance company, be sure to get ads for other similar cars for sale and a list of aftermarket parts to help boost the value of your car.
    1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
    1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
    2012 Mazda 3 - Daily

So now I'm on the hunt for parts. I'm going to get a body shop to straighten up the trunk and fit a new lid (color unimportant) so it doesn't leak. Anyone know a good place to source a trunk? If there happens to be a velocity red MSM trunk lying around that would be ideal, but I'm not picky at this point.

Also, how about tail lights? I imagine the MSM lights will be tough to find. Are there some quality aftermarket ones that any of you have experience with?

Quote Originally Posted by Labora View Post
    Doesn't take much to total a 12 year old car. Good luck fighting the insurance company, be sure to get ads for other similar cars for sale and a list of aftermarket parts to help boost the value of your car.
    In my experience, aftermarket parts don't affect the car's value to an insurance company. "Oh, you have Brand $$$ shocks now? Well, it came with shocks from the factory too. Shocks are shocks."

Rare paint colors don't matter, either. "You can paint a car any color you choose and it's still a car."

You can argue and maybe get somewhere, maybe not. The insurance racket is a game and the insurance companies make the rules. The outcome is that you lose. You'll get a settlement, sure, but it's rare that you get the true value that you lost out of the transaction (after you've spent $$$ over many years of insurance payments, thank you).

Quote Originally Posted by stinkydragon View Post
    So now I'm on the hunt for parts. I'm going to get a body shop to straighten up the trunk and fit a new lid (color unimportant) so it doesn't leak. Anyone know a good place to source a trunk? If there happens to be a velocity red MSM trunk lying around that would be ideal, but I'm not picky at this point.

Also, how about tail lights? I imagine the MSM lights will be tough to find. Are there some quality aftermarket ones that any of you have experience with?
    We have a MSM trunk in our yard in Burleson, looks like it is Orange/Red Color from a 2004 B cond. 263 + tax. Call me if you want to take a look at it. 214 960 3945

Quote Originally Posted by cwisenheimer View Post
    In my experience, aftermarket parts don't affect the car's value to an insurance company. "Oh, you have Brand $$$ shocks now? Well, it came with shocks from the factory too. Shocks are shocks."

Rare paint colors don't matter, either. "You can paint a car any color you choose and it's still a car."

You can argue and maybe get somewhere, maybe not. The insurance racket is a game and the insurance companies make the rules. The outcome is that you lose. You'll get a settlement, sure, but it's rare that you get the true value that you lost out of the transaction (after you've spent $$$ over many years of insurance payments, thank you).
    Aren't telling me anything I don't know I deal with them all day. They make the rules in the game.
    1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
    1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
    2012 Mazda 3 - Daily

I have a Evolution Gold color NB trunk lid. No dent and only a couple very micro scratches. I paid $125 a few years ago and has been sitting in the house. Pay me whatever.
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong View Post
    I have a Evolution Gold color NB trunk lid. No dent and only a couple very micro scratches. I paid $125 a few years ago and has been sitting in the house. Pay me whatever.
    Thanks! It looks like I've got a line on an MSM trunk, but I'll let you know if something doesn't work out.

car-part.com is good and easy to use for used parts, all the insurance companies and most body shops use it.
    As far as value goes if they low ball you fight it. Besides just throwing a number at you Allstate should provide you with a report showing how they arrived at the value they offer. Make sure the comparables on the report are MSM Miatas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast