Thread: How long does JB Weld last on a muffler?

Default How long does JB Weld last on a muffler?

I have an exhaust leak where the pipe goes in to the muffler(not stock), its just basically sitting loose, I can twist the muffler back & forth with minimal effort. I dont really care, just my inspection is out & seeing as I have no idea of the emission quality of this car, any little bit helps.

So I bought some JB weld & filled the crack. Unfortunately, I had to drive my car earlier than I thought, so I had a nice smell on the way home & of course nothing changed with the leak. So last night I tried it again, the old JB weld was basically dust, cleaned it off with a wire brush, applied & gave it a good 12 - 14 overnight setting time. On the way to work this morning I noticed that same smell, & made me wonder how long this patch would last.

I think I have most of the leak patched, ill wait a week & hit it again. Now I know, I know...I should have it welded, but when I have the cash for that im going to have a whole muffler put in.

While im at it, anyone reccommend a good but TCB, generic straight regular(not fart can) style muffler??
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    I think I have most of the leak patched, ill wait a week & hit it again. Now I know, I know...I should have it welded, but when I have the cash for that im going to have a whole muffler put in.

While im at it, anyone reccommend a good but TCB, generic straight regular(not fart can) style muffler??
    I live in Coppell just north of the D/FW airport - I have a mig welder - wanna fix it?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Miata55
    I live in Coppell just north of the D/FW airport - I have a mig welder - wanna fix it?
    Note to self: Miata55 has a welder and ain't afraid to use it!

Ooh...I work in Coppell...hrmmmm.

I might just take you up on that offer on the way home one day.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Miata55

ewww, do you like to do exhaust work? I need to install a cat... let me know.

Answer to the original question: 5 min
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.