Thread: Does anyone have a 16mm x 2.0 Tap?

Default Does anyone have a 16mm x 2.0 Tap?

I am thinking of tapping the waterpump on my miata with the pump still in the car (not fond of pulling the waterpump again) and I need to find a 16mm x 2.0 tap for the insert.

Needless to say, no-one sells this size tap unless it is in a $99-$259 kit.... Anyone got one that I could borrow for a day or two? and while were at it how about a 9/16" (14.29mm) drill bit?

Chris
    Chris - 2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS
    2013 Red Miata Sport
    2006 Winning Blue Miata
    2000 Red Miata
    2011 Red Mazda2
    2015 Smart Electric

Quote Originally Posted by Kags1969
    I am thinking of tapping the waterpump on my miata with the pump still in the car....
    In my humble opinion, that hole needs to be parallel with the timing belt or your going to have the same issues as before, I know ya got Skillz but a couple degrees off on the hole will cause you to keep loosing the belt.......

Not to mention the aluminum casting of the water pump will not be up to the task, that’s why the guys at topline installed a hardened insert to keep it from failing.

Ok ok, just didnt want to pull the pump. It is pulled now, so I will do this pump up as a spare... but, I do think that you can tap the alluminum because the other pulley is tapped into it. I will do the insert while its out, better safe then sorry.

Chris
    Chris - 2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS
    2013 Red Miata Sport
    2006 Winning Blue Miata
    2000 Red Miata
    2011 Red Mazda2
    2015 Smart Electric