Thread: cheeeeeep rims and SCCA classes

Default cheeeeeep rims and SCCA classes

Sammmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

I got a CAP award from work so it's time for some mods...

If that thing will fit my 2003, I'll take one. When do I need to get the money to you or do I just call them direct?

I bought a racing helmet... now I need some stock rims and a front sway bar.

What all can I do/use on my car and stay in a 'stock' class running 'street tires'?

Please flame me with URLs so I can learn hahahaha

RJ

moderator note - I split some of the late off-topic posts from the CG-Lock thread and created this new thread.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    If that thing will fit my 2003, I'll take one. When do I need to get the money to you or do I just call them direct?
    Got the fever yesterday, huh?

We need to look at the '03 buckles. If they are completely smooth and rounded (like onething's), you will have to wait for the new & improved one from the manufacturer. Once we get enough buyers lined up, we will figure out a way to get the money together. If you don't want to wait, you can of course contact them directly (www.cg-lock.com) but it will cost you around $40.

I need some stock rims and a front sway bar.
    What all can I do/use on my car and stay in a 'stock' class running 'street tires'?
    There's not a lot you can do and remain stock. You can replace the front way bar (check out http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?...p;sku=13-36510 for that). You can replace your shocks (KYB's or Koni's seem to be the shock of choice). You can run different wheels, but they have to be a size that was available as stock on your car (I think ). You obviously have to run street tires to run in Street Tire class. (duh.)

I'm sure others more familiar with SCCA rules will chime in. There's a new class (STS2) that I just heard about yesterday. You might want to research that and what it entails. It allows for much more modification from stock than Stock class does.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    There's a new class (STS2) that I just heard about yesterday. You might want to research that and what it entails. It allows for much more modification from stock than Stock class does.
    STS2 doesn't apply to newer Miatas mainly older vintage cars 990-97 IIRC). You may want to start with a set of Azenis and possibly an alignment and run what ya brung!

The three key thing to going fast is :
    1. Seat time
    2. Seat time
    3. Seat time

Well, I have a set of nice low profile super grippy tires, but I'm not on stock rims... They are 18" Enkei...

Time to go find a nice set of cheeeeeep rims.

Will have to try to outdo the President of Team CB... (I'm on the way with my helmet purchase)

RJ

Time to go find a nice set of cheeeeeep rims.
    IIRC Tailchaser got a good deal on some oem 16" rims from a local Mazda dealer. Hey TC what dealer was that?

I've also been looking for a set of aftermarket 16" rims for my '02 but I want them to have stock offset and width so I can use them latter for AX tires. Any of you punks know of a rim that would meet that criteria????

so you can use aftermarket rims for stock class? hmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    I've also been looking for a set of aftermarket 16" rims for my '02 but I want them to have stock offset and width so I can use them latter for AX tires. Any of you punks know of a rim that would meet that criteria????
    SSR Comps, Volk TE-37s, or OEM. 'Fraid the '01+ cars have the same problem that the '99-'00s do - an unpopular stock wheel size.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

so you can use aftermarket rims for stock class? hmmmm....
    Yes... but they must be the same diameter and width as the factory OEM wheels (dealer installed wheels don't count as factory) for your year, model, and package (i.e., any Mazdaspeed Miata must use 17"x7" wheels - because that's what they all came with - even though other '04s are available from the factory with 16"x6.5" wheels).

The only place that a Stock-legal aftermarket wheel is allowed to vary from OEM is in offset, which can be +/- 0.25 inches (6.35mm for the metrically challenged) from OEM.

Your Splash Green most likely came from the factory with 16"x6.5" OEM wheels, which means that you've got to run the same size to be Stock legal. Unfortunately, not a lot of manufacturers make inexpensive 16"x6.5" aftermarket wheels. SSRs & Volks will likely be over $300 each in the proper size, and the cheapest new OEM wheels are going to probably be $189 each from Finish Line Performance... unless you join Mazda Motorsports and order through them.

One other alternative is to do a little online research and see what the MINI Cooper (not S) drivers are using in H Stock, since their OEM wheel size & bolt pattern is the same (16"x6.5", 4x100) and the offset is similar.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw