Thread: Mazdaspeed Swaybars

Default Mazdaspeed Swaybars

Any idea about these sway bars? I have heard 22mm front and 15 rear. Would that even be worth it to upgrade? Would FM bars be better for a CSP car?

FM front bar for the NB is ~1", or 25.4mm. Most of the top CSP guys use a big front bar (typically the hollow Racing Beat 1.125" bar - which has a similar stiffness as the solid FM bar but less weight) and a stock 12mm (Sport Package) or 11mm (stock) rear bar.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Really? They dont even use the rear bar in kits? It seems like just adding the front bar would add underdsteer. I realize the CS guys put up with that because of the rules, but since it can be changed it would seem CSP would do it. I have heard the kits add too much oversteer. This Mazdaspeed set is new on ebay. I might pay up to a FM front bar price. That way I can add the rear if I want. Thanks.

I have the JR sways with the tubular front. Don't know the specs but the price was similar to the solid FM sways. Handling is sot on neutral. Merv and Gary drove my car and had no complaints.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Really? They dont even use the rear bar in kits? It seems like just adding the front bar would add underdsteer. I realize the CS guys put up with that because of the rules, but since it can be changed it would seem CSP would do it. I have heard the kits add too much oversteer. This Mazdaspeed set is new on ebay. I might pay up to a FM front bar price. That way I can add the rear if I want. Thanks.
    Remember that sway bars work by taking grip away, by effectively making your independent suspension dependent. Adding too much rear sway will lessen your ability to put power down on corner exit, especially with an open diff.

A good C Stock car does not understeer excessively. We wouldn't add the bar if that were the result. We add the bar because we can tighten up the turn-in and transitional response of the front end over stock without major understeer as a result, with a little alignment tuning. Hint - running the generally accepted "half a degree more camber in the rear" type of alignment with a BFB will result in understeer... but you don't have to run that much more camber in the rear, do you?

I ran both FM swaybars for awhile when I was in CSP. When I ditched the rear bar and retuned the alignment, without making any other changes, I went faster. 'Nuff said.

But don't take my word for it. Ask Tommy Reynolds, or George Douganis, or Bill Schenkter, or Andy Hollis. All very good CSP drivers using stock rear sway bars. They certainly don't do it because it saves them money.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Miatas love a stiff bar on the front. I still only recommend the RB hollow bar on the front and either stock or the RB rear. Since I do not autocross I can only speak for road courses and stupid high speed driving in the twisties. The front sway bar, recommended full stiff will make the car more neutral with a little understeer, especially when you let off the gas in the turns. My driving habit uses trail braking in the turns to help set the car up and I prefer this neutral feel you get when I am transitioning from brake to gas.

Iain is right on when it comes to the rear, keep it soft so the rear ends independent suspension can maximize the tire patch.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com